Ubermap for Push 2 (VST/AU parameter remapping)

Discuss Push with other users.
twisted-space

Re: Ubermap for Push 2 (VST/AU parameter remapping)

Post by twisted-space » Thu May 12, 2016 10:35 pm

Hi Tom,
Many thanks for this amazing addition to Live!

I thought you might like to know that I have the current release version working in Live 9.6.1, on Windows 7.

:D

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Fri May 13, 2016 5:46 am

twisted-space wrote:Hi Tom,
Many thanks for this amazing addition to Live!

I thought you might like to know that I have the current release version working in Live 9.6.1, on Windows 7.

:D
Glad to hear it! I intend to add "proper" support for installing on Windows soon, but it's good to know it works.
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

MTG105

Post by MTG105 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:36 am

thanks tom! so is this working on mac with the current version 9.6.1? not the beta? I think I might have to trade up to a push 2 :)

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Fri May 13, 2016 8:03 am

MTG105 wrote:thanks tom! so is this working on mac with the current version 9.6.1? not the beta? I think I might have to trade up to a push 2 :)
Hey, I think it will only work with 9.6.2b1, I haven't confirmed this but that is what I am targeting. Updated the first post to make that clear.

I do plan to support Push 1 for the basic mapping functionality as long as that is possible, but some new features (e.g. the discrete parameter stuff) may not be possible on Push 1. It's made harder as I don't have Push 1 to test on any more and the iPad emulator no longer works properly, but give me a PM if you would like to help debug why it isn't working on Push 1 currently!

I really recommend upgrading to Push 2 if you can though. The screen makes it a totally different beast, working with devices is such a joy, and even better is working with samples. Never been much into using samples before but I can see myself getting well into it now, it's so easy to drop a sample in, slice it up, pick random bits and totally transform them... I love it ;)
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Fri May 13, 2016 8:04 am

I've published a new experimental version which supports mapping "discrete" parameters (e.g. filter type, effect on/off) properly on Push 2. Would be great if people can test this and feedback, as usual I rushed it out without thorough testing ;) Link is: https://github.com/tomduncalf/ubermap/a ... .0.0b1.zip

Please see the readme for more information on setting this up: https://github.com/tomduncalf/ubermap/t ... ush-2-only

AlexGodbehere

Post by AlexGodbehere » Fri May 13, 2016 2:47 pm

Nice one Tom! Doesn't work on my 9.6.1 release, but I'm downloading 9.6.2b1 as we speak.

MTG105

Post by MTG105 » Sat May 14, 2016 11:52 am

coooool! thanks for all your effort :)

gotta ask tho- why not just develop for the current release version? developing for a beta means you'll probably have to make changes for the final release anyway and forces us to use a potentially unstable beta version in the mean time, not exactly ideal for live performance. I get that developing for the beta prevents ubermap from being 1 version behind but personally I'd much rather have that than be forced to use a beta I don't trust...just something to think about? or maybe I'm missing something?

AlexGodbehere

Post by AlexGodbehere » Sat May 14, 2016 12:51 pm

MTG105 wrote:coooool! thanks for all your effort :)

gotta ask tho- why not just develop for the current release version? developing for a beta means you'll probably have to make changes for the final release anyway and forces us to use a potentially unstable beta version in the mean time, not exactly ideal for live performance. I get that developing for the beta prevents ubermap from being 1 version behind but personally I'd much rather have that than be forced to use a beta I don't trust...just something to think about? or maybe I'm missing something?
Just tried installing on the 9.6.1 release and it seems to work OK. Make sure you change the .command file to reflect the name of the Application.

peterswimm

Post by peterswimm » Sat May 14, 2016 4:49 pm

I think he should target the next full version for the initial 1.0 ubermap2 release, and then that 1.0 could be for the stable chickens and betas can then target the next ableton betas. Ive found that the public betas are pretty stable fwiw.

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Sat May 14, 2016 8:01 pm

It's a good question – the reason why Ubermap currently targets the beta is because since Push 2 came out, Ableton have been making big changes to the Python code that runs Push with every version (even from beta to beta), which means that Ubermap needs to be updated to patch the code correctly every time. Therefore, it makes sense to target the beta, as that is the direction the code is going in (and the code of the beta is likely to be more stable, in the sense that it is less likely to change than the released version code, as Ableton are moving the code in the direction they want it to go in).

However, changes to the Push code should now become less frequent and have a lower impact, as I expect most of the changes Ableton wanted to make are now in place, so I intend to start targeting the release version once the current beta is released.

I rewrote Ubermap a while back to make it more resilient to changes in the Push codebase – I used to include a decompiled and modified version of each file Ubermap needed to touch, which was painful because I had to decompile every new version (and the decompilation process isn't perfect, so the code needed to be fixed up after that) and then reapply the Ubermap changes, and also was potentially unstable due to issues with the decompiled code. Instead it now just patches the relevant parts of the Push code from outside, so only depends on the minimum amount of Ableton code possible. This should mean that changes to the Push code break Ubermap much less frequently, and so it might well be the case that you can run this version with the release 9.6, I've just not tested it!
peterswimm wrote: I think he should target the next full version for the initial 1.0 ubermap2 release, and then that 1.0 could be for the stable chickens and betas can then target the next ableton betas. Ive found that the public betas are pretty stable fwiw.
Yeah that's not a bad idea, although in reality I'm hoping I won't have to worry much about being able to support both versions as the way the code is patched should be quite resilient to small changes in the Push code, so unless Ableton make any more major changes, it should work with both versions (and if not, I'll try and make it so the same version of Ubermap can work with either version).

I wouldn't read too much into the version number 1.0.0, I mainly changed it so that I can use semantic version numbers (so if the version number is in the form "<major>.<minor>.<patch>", increasing the "patch" number means there were small changes with no real user impact, increasing the "minor" number means there are new features but everything (e.g. configs) is still backwards compatible, and increasing the "major" number means there are potentially breaking changes), although it does feel like it's a good point to declare it somewhat stable once it works with Push 1 again :)

phakju

Post by phakju » Sun May 15, 2016 6:54 pm

Oh ... that's really cool to see (again). I will have a look at it soon.

I once used Ubermap for Push 1, however, I then got a Komplete Control and was anticipating a lot from Native Instruments NKS. BUT ... it doesn't feel right, since one still has to fight with tons of unstructured pages he/she has to scroll through. Even with different parameter order for different presets of the very same VST. That's annoying.

Ubermap now gives me back control again, for Push 2 - yeah. And with the ability to arrange parameters in Banks, which I can even name as I like, I truly believe it's going to give me much more fun with some of my VSTs :D

Thanks for all your work Tom!
MacBookPro, OSX 10.11.4, Ableton 9.6.2b, Max 7.2.1 both 64bit

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Mon May 16, 2016 7:39 am

I'd like to give this a go.

Tom am I reading correctly that if you have ubermap installed and then you fire up a VST for the first time it creates a configuration file that contains all of the parameters it can see from the VST? And then it's just a matter of renaming and moving things around in the file to get them to display in the form you'd like them on your Push?

How would ubermap interact with something like the audiomodder bridge? I'm happy with being able to browse the presets using it, but it doesn't have a lot of parameters mapped (or I've installed it wrong). Thinking that ubermap might give me the ability to map a whole lot more and to lay them out as I like but I don't want to lose the ability to browse all of the presets at the same time.

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Mon May 16, 2016 8:28 am

cskracer wrote:I'd like to give this a go.

Tom am I reading correctly that if you have ubermap installed and then you fire up a VST for the first time it creates a configuration file that contains all of the parameters it can see from the VST? And then it's just a matter of renaming and moving things around in the file to get them to display in the form you'd like them on your Push?
Exactly right, you can see some example configurations at https://github.com/tomduncalf/ubermap/t ... %20Configs, it's fairly self explanatory (although I would think that being a developer ;))
How would ubermap interact with something like the audiomodder bridge? I'm happy with being able to browse the presets using it, but it doesn't have a lot of parameters mapped (or I've installed it wrong). Thinking that ubermap might give me the ability to map a whole lot more and to lay them out as I like but I don't want to lose the ability to browse all of the presets at the same time.
I'm not sure how Audiomodder Bridge works at all, so no idea I'm afraid! At the minute, Ubermap is designed to work with the 9.6 beta, so what you could do is install the beta (assuming you aren't currently using it already) and install Ubermap into the beta, along with Audiomodder, and see how it works. The beta Live installs separately from the release version (on Mac at least), so if it doesn't work you can just remove the beta and your release Live is untouched. It's also pretty easy to remove Ubermap manually, or in the worst case you can just reinstall Live and shouldn't lose anything.

Is Bridge just a load of presets, or does it have its own device which wraps the plugin? Even if it's the latter, you might still be able to use it with Ubermap – the unique config name for a device is based not just on its name, but also on which controls (and in which order) it exposes, to allow it to work with things like Max for Live devices, which are all called "Max Audio Effect" but have different sets of controls... so as long as the Audiomodder Bridge device exposed the correct controls for each device, it should work, although you might not be able to share Ubermap configs with non-Audiomodder users.

Let me know if you need more info!

phakju

Post by phakju » Mon May 16, 2016 1:21 pm

Mh .. I'd like to have two blank spaces in one of the banks for Uhbik-A. Mainly to ensure MIX knob is in each bank at the same place.

If I follow the documentation a "" = "" should do it (at least for one blank space). However, it does not. I cannot access the bank with the "" = "". Any ideas?

Code: Select all

Banks]
[[Room]]
11_Amb1: Reverb = Reverb
2_Amb1: Pre-Delay = Pre-Delay
3_Amb1: Size = EarlySize
4_Amb1: Spread = Spread
6_Amb1: Decay = Decay
7_Amb1: Density = Density
14_Amb1: OutputDB = OutputDB
12_Amb1: Mix = Mix
[[Tone]]
8_Amb1: Bass = Bass
5_Amb1: HF-Range = HF-Range
9_Amb1: TrebleFreq = Treble-Freq
10_Amb1: Treble = Treble-Time
13_Amb1: Modulation = Modulation
"" = ""
12_Amb1: Mix = Mix
[ParameterValues]
[ParameterValueTypes]
[Config]
Cache = False
Ignore = False
Another thing I came across is, that not all parameter are populated into the corresponding cfg file. Is this a limitation of the plugin itself or can I do something about it? Same behavior for VST and AU btw. In Uhbik-A it is the operation selector and in Uhbik-D the modulation selector as well as the feedback switches for Delay 1-5.
MacBookPro, OSX 10.11.4, Ableton 9.6.2b, Max 7.2.1 both 64bit

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Mon May 16, 2016 1:38 pm

Tom I think I've followed all of your instructions correctly but my Push 2 is just sitting on the Push logo when I fire up 9.6.2b1 at the moment.

If I start up 9.5 it works fine, but of course no ubermap.

Here's a series of pics of where I've installed the files. Can you see where I've gone wrong? Ignore the beta directory name- the beta has overwritten the 9.5 beta directory.

I've also copied the Options.txt file to C:\Users\ben\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 9.6.2b1\Preferences.

Also where will it write the config files? Users\Ben\Ubermap\Devices?