New Macbook (april 2016) worth any?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
turbomartin

New Macbook (april 2016) worth any?

Post by turbomartin » Mon May 16, 2016 3:15 pm

http://www.apple.com/macbook/

It gets some promising reviews.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2016/05/15/ ... ro-review/

For me personally, the 12 inch looks appealing, as portability is all I am looking for at the moment. I don't like to spend € 2.500+ euro for a macbookpro either.

Thing that bothers me a lot: The USB-C port. Will it be responsive enough, after I hub the following things:
- external SSD
- external soundcard (final scratch)
- probably external monitor

Also, what is up with the removal of ethernet port.

beats me

Re: New Macbook (april 2016) worth any?

Post by beats me » Mon May 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Macbooks are made for casual or standard business users who like spending a lot of money.

Yes, it’s upsetting that the Macbook and Macbook Airs make the Macbook Pros look like tanks, but that’s just the way it is. You either pay for power and options or you pay for looks. And I don’t want to hear from whiners complaining about weight like their running space missions where every ounce makes a huge difference. Such miniscule size and weight differences don’t seem to make a difference to people on every other piece of mobile hardware but apparently in a laptop its back breaking.

turbomartin

Post by turbomartin » Mon May 16, 2016 3:39 pm

Hmm but it would probably run Live just fine I think. Won't be using it for a whole lot else.

The size is just perfect for throwing it into your bag.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue May 17, 2016 11:59 pm

turbomartin wrote:
Thing that bothers me a lot: The USB-C port. Will it be responsive enough, after I hub the following things:
- external SSD
- external soundcard (final scratch)
- probably external monitor
That's hoping for too much I think. It might work or it might not. I think not in practice.
Make some music!

wayne.rudd

Post by wayne.rudd » Wed May 18, 2016 2:36 am

the problem with the Macbook for audio applications is no active cooling, so sustained high CPU activity will cause the CPU to throttle down (as there are no fans to switch on to cool things down) which will likely cause click and pops and other audio nasties

the Macbook is fine for general activities that have bursts of CPU activity (web browsing, email, even web dev), but for audio and gaming no so much

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed May 18, 2016 9:55 pm

turbomartin wrote: The size is just perfect for throwing it into your bag.
While it’s true it takes a crew of 6 using pulleys to hoist a 13” MBP into 1 of only 2 available bags that can accommodate its size, it comes with More Bang For Your Buck Technology. :P

hyperscientist

Post by hyperscientist » Thu May 19, 2016 7:31 am

Of course it will work just fine. Only super heavy plugins will make it sweat. I had 2011 MacBook Air and moved on to maxed out MacBook Pro this year and I was able to lower the buffer to 128 from 256 but that's about it. I did have some crackling before for some CPU intensive plugins but that was rather rare and there was almost always a satisfying solution). Note though that my use case is mostly playing piano and synths live - my arrangements are rather simple otherwise (I'm not one of those that create projects have 100 tracks and putting 5 fx on each). Of course if you want to play important concerts with it where it has to be rock solid then you will be safer with Pro, but for casual use - you will be perfectly fine if not more happy. Just think about it this way: 5 years ago people were playing concerts with Pro machines that weren't much stronger than your 2016 Macbook.

And yeah, I'm not super happy about the change - MBP is a brick with a very outdated vibe to it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 19, 2016 1:56 pm

When Apple gets around to slapping a retina screen on the MBAs I think that will be the perfect sweet spot. Once you work on a screen like that there’s no settling for less. But of course Apple will crank up the price as a result despite it almost being industry standard at this point. :?