NEED HELP USING (UN)ABLETON

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gnarly Charlie

NEED HELP USING (UN)ABLETON

Post by Gnarly Charlie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:42 pm

Im trying to record a mix,

I have the red and white audio cables going direct from my Mixtrack Pro 3 (DJ Decks) into the 'Input 1/2' on the front of my Novation Audio Hub 2x4.

I then have the same red and white cable going from the Output on my Audio Hub into my external speakers.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to simply hit Play on my decks and record a mix.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I'm completely lost and losing patience.

I will say that the Ableton interface is not user friendly if this is your first piece of recording software. The instructions are hieroglyphs to me!

yur2die4

Re: NEED HELP USING (UN)ABLETON

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:56 pm

Might be easier to use a basic one-track recording software.

In Live, you need to create an audio channel, make sure it has the appropriate audio inputs selected for that channel. And arm the channel for record (red button) below solo. Then hit the global record (near play and stop buttons, full circle not hollow circle) and hit play while that is activated.

It should then record some audio.
Last edited by yur2die4 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:00 pm

the picture of that Novation unit that i came up with in a google search shows Line Out on the front. so the way you described in your post would be the reverse of how it should be wired.

having said that, do you have phantom power turned on?
i'm not sure if you need it with those decks... but if you do need it and aren't using it, you will either not hear anything or it will be barely audible.

edit: never mind. it's labeled "Line Input" on the front. the first picture i looked at had the wording blocked in such a way that it looked like "Line Out"

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:25 pm

Not much info to go on, but here are some suggestions:

- On the Audio Hub check that the input indicator is lighting up green or red, which shows an audio signal from the decks. If needed, use the Hub's gain control to boost the signal.

- Turn on the Input Monitor switch on the Hub, and check that you can hear the decks through the Hub's headphone out.

- Open Live's preferences, select the Audio tab, and verify that the Hub is selected and that its inputs/outputs are configured/enabled.

Watch the first video on this page: https://www.ableton.com/en/help/learn-live/

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:49 am

Probably need to learn a little more about audio routing before getting bogged down in something like a professional DAW. As was suggested a simple audio recorder is probably what you need such as audacity

https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

Not to sound rude but trying to figure out advanced production software without the basics of audio and signal flow is a bit like trying to rebuild an engine when all you know is how to drive the car. Blaming the software and the "cryptic manual" (which I think is actually pretty well written and informative) as stumbling points before learning things such as the actual term for the "red and white cable" is a little short sighted.

For Live if you really want to get stuck into it start by googling "recording line input"

I know most DJs don't like to spend too much time learning things, Serato forums a good example of that, but it's well worth the time to learn a bit about audio routing and interconnections. Google is a wealth of info.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:09 am

jestermgee wrote:Google is a wealth of info.
[side note]
I assume you actually mean Google lists good places with a wealth of info in their search results.
Make some music!

Gnarly Charlie

Post by Gnarly Charlie » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:03 pm

Not to sound rude but trying to figure out advanced production software without the basics of audio and signal flow is a bit like trying to rebuild an engine when all you know is how to drive the car. Blaming the software and the "cryptic manual" (which I think is actually pretty well written and informative) as stumbling points before learning things such as the actual term for the "red and white cable" is a little short sighted.

I find your arrogance bewildering. The software was free, and I ask for advice as I admitted I am completely new to these devices.
Calm yourself

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:29 am

Gnarly Charlie wrote:Not to sound rude but trying to figure out advanced production software without the basics of audio and signal flow is a bit like trying to rebuild an engine when all you know is how to drive the car. Blaming the software and the "cryptic manual" (which I think is actually pretty well written and informative) as stumbling points before learning things such as the actual term for the "red and white cable" is a little short sighted.

I find your arrogance bewildering. The software was free, and I ask for advice as I admitted I am completely new to these devices.
Calm yourself
Not sure you are getting the whole picture, I offered quite a bit of help there but also suggested, with pretext I was trying NOT to be rude, that you need to do a little work on your own to understand a few things before taking on something complex.

And Live is NOT free at all, there is a 30 day demo but after that it's something you need to buy unless you receive an intro copy with a controller.

By the way, read your original post. You did not mention you were new to any of this, you mentioned you were trying to record a DJ mix, you have an audio interface and you are loosing patience and do not understand the manual. I know you are new based on the way the question was asked which is why I tried to teach you a little on fishing rather than just telling you the answer which wouldn't have you learning at all.

I'll go help someone else now, good luck.