Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Post by Angstrom » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:36 am

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not:

Resize all your tracks width by holding ALT and dragging the track divider.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:47 pm

yup didn't know thx angstrom!

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:10 pm

Quoting myself:
I think I have a big one.
I use Live extensively for years, but I just discovered this one. Sorry for those who already know this one, it just changed my life, it's especially useful for sound design/ sound editing to video.
By midi mapping a clip's volume and transpose button like this:

you have access to the volume and the transpose of the SELECTED clip, not just the one you've mapped.
Of course you can save the mapping within your default set, and without the need to have a clip in it just for the mapping. Just put a clip in a track, go to its clip view, midi map. You can now delete the clip. Check with a cmd-m... the mapping is still here!

One less mouse action needed, audio editing goes sooooo much faster.
Know what, you can do the same with clip "start", "end" (same for loop). It will affect the selected clip. Sweet.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:58 am

Wow! I thought I knew all there was to know, but I learned lots of super useful things from this thread!

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:22 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:I think I have a big one.
I use Live extensively for years, but I just discovered this one. Sorry for those who already know this one, it just changed my life, it's especially useful for sound design/ sound editing to video.
By midi mapping a clip's volume and transpose button like this:

you have access to the volume and the transpose of the SELECTED clip, not just the one you've mapped.
Of course you can save the mapping within your default set, and without the need to have a clip in it just for the mapping. Just put a clip in a track, go to its clip view, midi map. You can now delete the clip. Check with a cmd-m... the mapping is still here!

One less mouse action needed, audio editing goes sooooo much faster.

Anyone want to explain this?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:54 pm

In any audio clip, if you midi map a parameter in that clip, the control will not just apply to that single clip.

When you move the control after it has been mapped, the control modulates the parameter you mapped for whichever clips are selected.

So if you midi map volume of an audio clip. Any audio clip you select will be the clip whose volume you are controlling. It won't control just that one clip at all times.

danteZav

Post by danteZav » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:14 pm

when doing automation of pitch in a midi clip and having trouble resetting it to the 0 position you can press and hold control and move to automation setting very slow in increments of 1..

I am sure everyone already knows this -__-

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:48 pm

Playing Samples with your midi keyboard without sampler or simpler.

Choose your sample, click midi mapping, press first c3, hold it and press c4, close midi mapping and now play your sample over the range of c3 to c4 with your keyboard. You can try more range, but the sound will getting more bad. :lol:

Global quantization set to: none, otherwise you have to wait 1 bar or what you have set to quantize.
Last edited by silversurfer60 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Make a snare or kick roll with this velocity trick.

Select your kick or snare midi notes, click in the velocity editor, press ctrl or cmd and left mouse, move a little bit and you'll see a small dotted line. Start moving with your mouse from the bottom of the velocity editor to the top of the end, release the left mouse key and the velocity will follow the line.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:05 pm

When auditioning samples in the browser, if you use right arrow, you can replay the currently selected sample. Left arrow will take you to back the folder, regardless of where you're at.

And of course, right arrow also opens closed folders.

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:35 pm

You can edit lesson texts for your projects.
http://fanumusic.com/ableton-live-lesson-text-hack/

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:42 am

In arrangement view, if you have all tracks selected and choose "show automated parameters only" on one track, that option will be applied to all tracks.

Took me a while to figure out that I had done something - at first I thought it was a bug/feature in 9.6.2.

Tekhed66

Post by Tekhed66 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:55 pm

I don't know if this has already been mentioned but I have found a quick way of comparing A and B setups for audio effects eg. compression, reverb, delay etc.

Load your audio effect and set the parameters to taste... if you think you have a great setup and are afraid to tweak anymore (in case you mess things up), duplicate the audio device and then deactivate the duplicate.

The duplicate will have the exact settings as the original at the time you made the copy... this lets you further tweak the original. To compare A with B, activate the original/deactivate the duplicate ... to compare B with A, reverse the procedure.

If you keep tweaking and mess up the original, delete the original and keep working with the duplicate which now becomes the 'new' original (Isn't that the name Spinal Tap had after they tried to get their old band name back?) :-)

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:31 pm

^^^ To add to that, if you enter MIDI or QWERTY mapping mode, and assign a QWERTY key (for example) to the activator buttons of both effects - while one effect is in bypass and the other is active - when you leave mapping mode, hitting the QWERTY key (or whatever) repeatedly will instantly toggle between the two versions of the effect, so you can A/B them on the fly.

I use this all the time to A/B between an alternate choice of effects, or Racks, or Rack Chains.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:05 pm

I use that all the time with the track activators, makes it easy to A/B pre and post masters, etc.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com