Getting into Vinyl Sampling

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kenix

Getting into Vinyl Sampling

Post by Kenix » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:41 pm

Hey folks,

So I've done a bit of research recently looking into the art of sampling, specifically recording from vinyl to Ableton. I am new to this whole thing, so bear with me if I ask stupid questions! I've been searching the forums a little, but so far I haven't been very successful in finding a thread which gives me a good overview. If there's something like that I'm glad to read it!

My basic question is: How do I get started (aside from going to a vinyl store and shop for good stuff obviously)? From what I've gathered I need 1) A vinyl player (any suggestions here?); 2) an Audio interface (I've got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 already, I guess that would do the job?).
Other than that I'm a bit overwhelmed and I don't really know how to get started setting it all up. I'd be super happy if someone could give me a quick overview whats important for the beginning. I don't need high-end, hefty-priced gear at the moment as I am still getting into this. Quality obviously has to be good still.

I'm happy for all suggestions/tips/advices!

Best wishes,
Philipp

PlainJaneFrancis

Re: Getting into Vinyl Sampling

Post by PlainJaneFrancis » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:13 am

You have it all about right. A record player of any type, cheap or super expensive. An audio interface, focusrite will work perfectly. All you have to do is, set up an audio track in ableton, arm it for recording, and then record an audio clip while the vinyl is playing. super simple. Then you can drop the audio into a simpler for some chopping or pitch shifting.

Best way to learn is to try, it isn't too hard, I promise!

malenko

Post by malenko » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:57 am

Kenix

Post by Kenix » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:42 am

PlainJaneFrancis wrote:You have it all about right. A record player of any type, cheap or super expensive. An audio interface, focusrite will work perfectly. All you have to do is, set up an audio track in ableton, arm it for recording, and then record an audio clip while the vinyl is playing. super simple. Then you can drop the audio into a simpler for some chopping or pitch shifting.

Best way to learn is to try, it isn't too hard, I promise!
+
malenko wrote:I think this may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1f01wd045c
Many thanks to both of you! I'll watch that video once I'm out of uni today.

Can anybody recommend me a good vinyl player which isn't too expensive but still delivers me good quality? There's such a huge amount of players, some recommendation would be much appreciated.
Also USB-player yes/no? I've read different opinions about this question. Some say the quality would decrease with an USB player.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:36 pm

Kenix wrote: Can anybody recommend me a good vinyl player which isn't too expensive but still delivers me good quality?
I'm looking for a Linn myself. Strictly a Technics SL-1200 or similar would be better for the vinyl I'm recording as much of it was made for being played on that, but I can always adjust that myself. If not, one of my friends has 2.
Kenix wrote: Also USB-player yes/no? I've read different opinions about this question. Some say the quality would decrease with an USB player.
I'd say no, mostly because I think the deck itself is likely not very good, though there might be some great exceptions that I don't know about. The ADC might be alright, but is of course also a weak link and I'd rather use my main audio interface and a good RIAA mixer between. More expensive, yet worth it I think.

I don't care what others will think. I care about what I think. I suggest you do the same and base the selections on what you think.
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:47 pm

I don't know if a ground is still required on turntables. Some interfaces have it? I think? This is pretty vague territory for me. But as suggested, the best advice is to start trying it.

Your first attempts will probably not be perfect no matter how good your setup is. You just have to start doing it and develop the technique. Then ask more advice if you see a problem. I think people sometimes sample pretty carelessly. It adds a little grit and character, and might even be part of the draw of sampling from vinyl.

As for the ground thing I was rambling about, you might consider having a mixer handy inbetween the turntable and the interface. This can also be a way to sort of adjust levels before they go into your interface.

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:13 am

If you get an analog turntable you'll need a phono preamp too, or use a DJ mixer with phono inputs.

In my opinion the most important piece of a turntable is the cartridge and stylus (needle).

What's your budget? Regardless, if you're looking to do it right, take your time, keep researching, and save up enough to get what works best for you.

Kenix

Post by Kenix » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:23 am

outsidesys wrote:If you get an analog turntable you'll need a phono preamp too, or use a DJ mixer with phono inputs.

In my opinion the most important piece of a turntable is the cartridge and stylus (needle).

What's your budget? Regardless, if you're looking to do it right, take your time, keep researching, and save up enough to get what works best for you.
Yeah, the researching process can sometimes be a bit tiresome, but eventually it always pays off. My budget unfortunately isn't that big at the moment. As mentioned previously I'm fortunate to already have a suitable audio-interface (scarlett 2i2), so all I lack is a turntable - if analog I also need a preamp. I don't really want to spend more than 150 € at the moment. I know it's not really much, but I don't need the best gear at the beginning. All that matters for me is that I'm able to get started soonish.
I'll ask in my local vinyl store this noon, I guess they might be helpful either.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:39 am

yur2die4 wrote: As for the ground thing I was rambling about, you might consider having a mixer handy inbetween the turntable and the interface. This can also be a way to sort of adjust levels before they go into your interface.
The notions about pickup and grounding aren't rambling at all. Those are just assumed details quite commonly and the former is open to taste and opinion. However, it's good you and outsys point out these important details.

Of prime importance is a RIAA amplifier with the proper EQ in the DJ mixing board, in an amplifier or separate. The NI S8 for instance has both a RIAA preamp and ground.

You can even make your own build if so inclined.
Make some music!

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:41 pm

outsidesys wrote:If you get an analog turntable you'll need a phono preamp too, or use a DJ mixer with phono inputs.

You know, some turntables actually can output as an aux send (I guess they have a pre-amp built in?). I know my Numarks can do that...but they're about 10 years old and I'm not sure if it's a feature that caught on - might be worth looking out for, though.

And good points about the cartridge - your sample is only as good as the cartridge can provide...and those things can get expensive!

Kenix

Post by Kenix » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:54 pm

Thanks a lot for all the answers so far :)

I am in contact with my local vinyl store which is run by a former producer and DJ. He's gonna help me sorting through all that stuff a bit, because it seems quite overwhelming at the beginning. But I'm up for the challenge!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:11 am

Shift Gorden wrote: You know, some turntables actually can output as an aux send (I guess they have a pre-amp built in?). I know my Numarks can do that...but they're about 10 years old and I'm not sure if it's a feature that caught on - might be worth looking out for, though.

And good points about the cartridge - your sample is only as good as the cartridge can provide...and those things can get expensive!
I just got some new alternatives to Linn today: Elpj Laser Turntable.
Make some music!