Aria instrument midi track - no channel volume automation?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jfhallst

Aria instrument midi track - no channel volume automation?

Post by jfhallst » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:27 pm

I've created an instance of Garritan Aria and added 5 MIDI tracks, each assigned to a different Aria channel. There's no problem playing the separate sounds assigned to each channel but when I try to automate channel volume control for a particular track in arrangement view, the only option I get is speaker on/off. There are no other automation options. If I open the midi editor for the track, I can add CC7 envelope info, but shouldn't I be able to add it at the track level like you can with audio?

Also, Aria doesn't respond to velocity information. All notes are played at the same velocity regardless of what's sent from Live.

I'm using Live Suite 9.6.1 on a Mac under Yosemite.

redglass

Re: Aria instrument midi track - no channel volume automation?

Post by redglass » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:56 pm

jfhallst wrote:I've created an instance of Garritan Aria and added 5 MIDI tracks, each assigned to a different Aria channel. There's no problem playing the separate sounds assigned to each channel but when I try to automate channel volume control for a particular track in arrangement view, the only option I get is speaker on/off. There are no other automation options. If I open the midi editor for the track, I can add CC7 envelope info, but shouldn't I be able to add it at the track level like you can with audio?
No. Only if you render each midi track in order to create audio tracks, volume envelope would be offered.
I do work with Garritan stuff and use CC7 for this. Works fine here.
jfhallst wrote: Also, Aria doesn't respond to velocity information. All notes are played at the same velocity regardless of what's sent from Live.
Which Garritan library are you talking about? Some Garritan instruments do not have too many samples per note.
Also try to find help here: http://ariaengine.com/support/
jfhallst wrote: I'm using Live Suite 9.6.1 on a Mac under Yosemite.
The quality of Garritan stuff lies more in the ease of use and sound of an ensemble, less in the quality of single instruments. Just my 2 cent!