Rookie, please help.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Which Do you prefer (live recording)

Ableton
86%
Fl Studio
No votes
Garage Band
No votes
Pro Tools
14%

Total votes: 7

wellbreastfed

Rookie, please help.

Post by wellbreastfed » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:58 pm

Okay I know nothing about recording. I just want good sound...
Im a "rapper," and the audio quality is basically horrible.
{https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8lZ02jJy_M] this is an example of what im dealing with.
Equipment: Scarlette Focusrite, MXL V67G(discontinued), good mic cords, ssmi-Monsterous PC, and Ableton Live 9 lite

I used Audacity for music effects because I knew NOTHING about recording or Ableton. I just want to know the basics of how
to get good audio quality until I can find someone willing to teach me how to use Ableton.
Im using the Poll because maybe I shouldnt be using ableton to live record???
thats why its so hard???
Thank You :(

jestermgee

Re: Rookie, please help.

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:06 pm

The program itself for recording will not matter in regards to audio quality. Live is perfectly capable for what you are asking.

Recording of the actual vocals is only the small/easy part. Making it fit (not just sound good but fit with your content) is the harder part and unfortunately it comes with experience and an ear for detail.

Can't test your sample there because i'm at work but you will need to learn a little about the whole recording process and using effects and mixing to get a good result.

What kind of monitoring do you have for mixing? Do you have studio monitors or headphones?

Post by 102455 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:14 am

wellbreastfed wrote:the audio quality is basically horrible.
Well if that YouTube clip is an example of "horrible" I don't see what your problem is. :-)

What exactly do you mean by "horrible"? Try and be as detailed as possible.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:43 am

I'd use Pro Tools for recording a live group performance with multiple tracks only because I think Live's set up for recording multiple tracks is a bit messy and sometimes unpredictable. It can be done of course.

On the other hand if I intended to finish a recording in Live for some reason I'd record there. There's also at least one great iPad app I'd consider that can do many tracks.
Make some music!

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:06 pm

None of the above for the proscribed task. If on a Mac I'd go Logic or Studio One; if on a PC I'd go Studio One. Ableton is not the greatest at linear recording (IMO) and ProTools is way too expensive. Can't really say about GB or FL as I'm unfamiliar with them.
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:53 pm

Somewhat biased, but like the previous poster, none of the above..

If you have a mac, then use Logic, if a PC, then Sonar, Cubase, or Studio One in that order (for my 2c) .. imo all of these are superior workflow for "normal" linear recording, and the bang for the buck edge goes by a long mile to Sonar...

I would re-visit the entire vocal chain, particularly EQ & compression, then look at the mix.. the recording sounded dead flat with minimal dynamics across the board (not just vocals)... with such a light mix of instruments, things should POP...

suspect you can find plenty of tutorials on the web for vocals.. (Sonar has some great drop in vocal presets for the pro-channel fx bin if you take that route), but attention to your instruments too would help..

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:45 pm

i prefer Cubase for recording vocals but i use Live all the time (for vocals too) because i prefer it for most everything else.

i think your issue has more to do with effects and fine tuning than with the DAW itself.

try looking for some mic-ing technique videos and everything you can get your hands on to help with EQing your vocals once you have them recorded.