iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
yur2die4

Re: iPad

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:26 am

The lack of background audio is my hugest gripe on this app. It is otherwise very nice!

The overall mixing would be nice also as you suggest. Plus, as they've transitioned to their new Auxy they have removed their live midi output. But I understand this might just be intended to streamline their vision.

A feature I've been trying to request even when their original Auxy came out is an easy way to change key fluidly. Currently, it is very close to having this option, as a slider in preferences. It would be nice if it was even easier in a manner similar to Propellerhead Figure.

Still, I like that they have Link, and it is easy enough for beginners to get started into making music. Plus as a sketchpad, it is nice that it allows midi export.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:40 pm

Yeah, seems they're more focused on making it self-containted, which I can understand for an iOS app.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:46 pm

About the only thing I think I would use in the next macOS Sierra is PiP. But unfortunately I probably won’t be upgrading for a little under a year after release. I don’t plan to upgrade to El Capitan until late this summer. :?

I really saw nothing I look forward to in iOS 10. Mostly lock screen crap and 3D Touch enhancements I don’t have on any of my devices currently. :?

tvOS. Single login will be nice instead of having to go on every available app tied to your cable provider to authorize each. Login once and they will all be activated and it will also show you which apps are available based on your cable provider. :) Sad thing to get excited about. :?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:21 pm

I need a new phone and the latest (leaked) Apple offerings for the 7 really aren't doing it for me.
It seems like even Apple are trying to buy time with "just wait and see what the iphone8 is going to bring!" .

meanwhile - I just saw the new OnePlusOne 3 holy shit that looks very nice for a £300 phone. An OLED display at 401ppi, 64gb and 8gig of ram. For less than half the price of an iPhone.

looks like I am finally jumping ship from iOS. My investment in iOS apps doesn't really matter because the only ones I use on my phone are gMaps and the various messaging ones.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ange-price

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:22 pm

Angstrom wrote:I need a new phone and the latest (leaked) Apple offerings for the 7 really aren't doing it for me.
It seems like even Apple are trying to buy time with "just wait and see what the iphone8 is going to bring!" .

meanwhile - I just saw the new OnePlusOne 3 holy shit that looks very nice for a £300 phone. An OLED display at 401ppi, 64gb and 8gig of ram. For less than half the price of an iPhone.

looks like I am finally jumping ship from iOS. My investment in iOS apps doesn't really matter because the only ones I use on my phone are gMaps and the various messaging ones.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ange-price

Yeah, the latest speculation fad seems to be blowing off the next version while pumping up what the version after that is going to have.

8GB of RAM on a cell phone? Don’t need it, but it looks cool on a spec sheet. Not discouraging jumping ship but for the last couple years it seems like Apple has mostly been about how all their hardware interacts with each other – idevices, computers, and Apple TV. Just yesterday I was looking at a website on my iPad that wasn’t working properly (mobile version issues), went over to my iMac and hit the continuity icon, and BAM! site I was looking at on my iPad instantly open in Safari on my iMac.

I’m not a power user or the typical borg that must be connected to a computer device at all times, but some of these little details are nice. Global clipboard coming up in the next iOS/macOS continuity. Copy something on your iPhone and paste it to something on your Mac seamlessly.

I realize I’m coming off as bipolar when I just said how mostly boring the WWDC was this year, but I also know it’s also a “don’t know what you have until its gone” situation. Just got used to Apple blowing minds for so many years. Now it’s just little things adding up.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:52 pm

Yeah, that's the thing. For some reason my GF bought an Amazon FireTV a while back to .. um, sit on top of the AppleTV I guess.
I have no real idea why. She is Apple everything, so it really made no sense at all.

Anyway, I actually now prefer it. It does all the same stuff shows me Netflix, Youtube etc. But the thing is ... it can work off either my iPad as a control or my Samsung TV. It really plays well with all my other gear, my network, my storage. My accounts.
Additionally I can install my own dodgy apps on it. For instance I installed Kodi with the TV-add-ons. Now I can watch aaaanything. There's no way I'd get that on my AppleTV.
I mean ... I really, really tried the Apple route and it was too limited. The Amazon box simply says "do you want developer mode" and I can do whatever I want.

I haven't even turned the AppleTv on in about 6 months.
I'm quite content working on my Win7 PC and I'm really not into the "subscription cloud" media model as a place to put my music or photos.

So a lot of the "integration" stuff isn't doing anything for me.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:17 pm

At this point too many moving pieces would crumble if I tried to leave Apple’s ecosystem. A lot of the improvements I don’t use just because of old habits or I’m slow to adapt. Things like I could be on my Mac and get a text message and I’ll still thumb away on my iPhone instead of replying on my Mac which would be a lot easier, especially typing something lengthy.

As somebody with a full cable package I really don’t see these streaming boxes, including the Apple TV, as vastly better than any other. I don’t need a dozen streaming alternatives to cable because I have cable. One thing I REALLY like about the new Apple TV is the ability to scrub videos on the remote touch pad complete with thumbnail images on the timeline. None of this aggravating fast forwarding and rewinding back and forth because it went too far.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:51 pm

Best reason to get the next iPhone? My current iPhone is having charging issues. Sometimes doesn’t register the cable is plugged in and I've had it drop 20% in like 10 minutes. :x I just hope it can make it to the next iPhone release. I’m going to be pissed if I have to pay to get it fixed or buy the current iPhone. :x :x

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:50 pm

I currently have a 5s. I like trying to hold out as long as I can get away with for an upgrade.

My battery holds up pretty well for the most part, but is easy to drain of I get the phone doing some hard work.

I've become afraid to do a lot of things on my phone because of how hot it gets. (Did you know they have an iPhone version of Korg Gadget?).

My battery is a little bloated. Not very noticeable, but the fade of my phone clacks a little if I tap that side firmly enough. And held flat, I can see a variation in height of the face compared to the frame.

So yeah, it's time to upgrade. And I prefer the latest for CPU power and features. Glad my 5s has Touch ID... a limited version of it at least.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:02 pm

I’m on the iPhone 6 and have gotten every other new version (meaning skip a version, 1 every 2 years) of the iPhone since the 1. So the next iPhone would fit my schedule but I was hoping it wouldn’t be a must on release day. This is my first iPhone with hardware issues.

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:50 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I currently have a 5s. I like trying to hold out as long as I can get away with for an upgrade.
Me too. The battery weakened to the point of losing juice in half a day. After fighting this for a while with a $8 USB battery pack I bought at Ross, I took the phone to Verizon for a new battery. They promptly sent me to a cell customizing co. a block away, who installed a new battery for $35.

I totally forgot to check if I'll lose all my files on the phone while the battery is removed for a swap. As I discovered afterwards, everything is still there. Even though I don't use iCloud (AFAIK). Yay!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:03 pm

http://discchord.com/blog/2016/6/21/cro ... -link.html

I have seen many people wishing for reliable ways to sync Live with dj software. This is the first 'dj' app I have seen to actually add Ableton Link support. I hope Traktor and djay hop on the bandwagon.

Still, I'm not sure if some of the people who wish for sync with dj software understand the very clear differences between how Live handles tempo and phrasing and how dj software does. Dj software is designed to be flexible in the situation that a beat might be skipped or have various other freedoms. So, I know this wouldn't perform miracles, but I'm looking forward to what options lie ahead for people to use.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:26 pm

beats me wrote:I’m on the iPhone 6 and have gotten every other new version (meaning skip a version, 1 every 2 years) of the iPhone since the 1. So the next iPhone would fit my schedule but I was hoping it wouldn’t be a must on release day. This is my first iPhone with hardware issues.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:02 pm

My biggest concern about the rumor Apple will be removing the headphone port from the next iPhone is using it with my SubPac. But then I remembered the SubPac has Bluetooth. I’ll have to test that out. :)

I then realized I rarely use my iPhone for playing music anyway. It’s usually from my iPads and iPod Classic and we’re probably at least a year away from Apple removing headphone jacks from all their idevices.

It will be a big :x for music producers if they remove it from all their computers as well. 8O

I laugh at all the “then I’m not getting the next iPhone!!” haters, as if Apple will bring back the headphone jack in a future model. Might as well start exploring Android phones now…until years later when they remove the headphone port as well. :P

The future hipster will be the guy who uses corded headphones.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:29 am

I like doing synthesis and jamming on my phone. The headphone thing really annoyed me at first.

Then I realized that an audio interface through Lightning has better audio quality anyway. Plus, they will probably supply a headphone adapter, so it won't be 'fully' missing. This will still hopefully allow me the convenience of quickly connecting a 1/8" jack to the phone....wait a second, I hope it has lightning AND headphone on the female end of the adapter... Or else I would have to choose between connecting headphones Or a keyboard..... : /