Is there a way to Load VSTS with clips

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
itrehalf

Is there a way to Load VSTS with clips

Post by itrehalf » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:00 pm

While playing in a live set , i would like to have only a channel and dynamically with clips (in other channel ) change the vsts running on that channel.
I couldn't found a way to surf on vsts files automatically

The main goal its to load a vst on the fly , with an automation ,
I also own the push i can do it manually but its a pain :? .

pd: I don't want to change the preset , i found a lot of tutorial about that....

braduro

Re: Is there a way to Load VSTS with clips

Post by braduro » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:49 pm

If you drag or otherwise save a clip into your current session (under places) or into your library, you are effectively saving a Live Clip which retains the contents of the track, i.e. your vst. However, you will need to drag this into empty space in order to create a new track, so if you had a number of presets, that would be deleting a trail of your expired tracks. There are preset devices and Python scripts you could look at which could then be triggered by an automation lane in the clip, or you could save multiple versions of the same live clip, that might do it.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:26 pm

If you look at 46 seconds into this clip, it explains how to load built in Live devices if you use the ClyphX control surface script.

https://youtu.be/FHQR8EvqRyA

It also mentions hot swapping.

Now, the tricky part is having it load more specific devices. I have only tried using it for Live's basic devices and not specific presets. I am not sure if it allows that or not. And then beyond that, for your case you would need a very specific selection available for selection.

Onto the topic of hot swapping, if you use a device that is routed in a directory that contains a list of your favorite instruments, then when you hot swap you will jump into that specific directory. So if you had 8 instruments you wanted to use through the night, you could literally number copies of the presets 1-8 and have them all in a specific device racks folder. Then every time you hit hot swap (or 'browse' on Push while your device is selected), you will jump to a directory that only shows those 8 devices... And by numbering the presets, you would have them in the order that you wanted.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:50 pm

itrehalf wrote:While playing in a live set , i would like to have only a channel and dynamically with clips (in other channel ) change the vsts running on that channel.

pd: I don't want to change the preset , i found a lot of tutorial about that....
Easy - Instrument Rack > Assign VST to Macro Knob 1 - divide knob 1-127 in how many vst instruments you want to switch.
In clip automate to the Macro1 position to change vst instrument

You're essentilly creating a mini mixer within a single channel strip where one knobcontrols which instrument is loaded

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:26 am

I use clyphx to load presets of standard instruments and racks and vst racks. Clyphx cant distinguish between vst presets hence the need to rack them first. But once racked the file can be stored anywhere in your live library or folder that the browser points to and launched as an x-clip.

itrehalf

Post by itrehalf » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:14 pm

miekwave wrote:
itrehalf wrote:While playing in a live set , i would like to have only a channel and dynamically with clips (in other channel ) change the vsts running on that channel.

Easy - Instrument Rack > Assign VST to Macro Knob 1 - divide knob 1-127 in how many vst instruments you want to switch.
In clip automate to the Macro1 position to change vst instrument

You're essentilly creating a mini mixer within a single channel strip where one knobcontrols which instrument is loaded
Well the negative aspect of that , is that you have X plug ins running at the same time, lots of non active resources will be spent there.
irrelevance wrote:I use clyphx to load presets of standard instruments and racks and vst racks. Clyphx cant distinguish between vst presets hence the need to rack them first. But once racked the file can be stored anywhere in your live library or folder that the browser points to and launched as an x-clip.
i will try today clyphx and i will let you know if this solve my problem . Probably.... Thank you guys

KatzeMeow

Post by KatzeMeow » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:02 pm

So i'm looking to see about.. using clyphx or something else to automate adding plugins to a rack from about 512 of my favorites. I would idealy click on a track then hit a midi cc macro to load a particular instrument onto that track or plugin into a rack.
Thereby having all my favorites avail but able to be loaded on the fly when setting up my sets.
Any ideas?