Softube Heartbeat and Drum Racks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Softube Heartbeat and Drum Racks

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 05, 2016 11:39 am

I can't seem to be able to send MIDI events to Softube Heartbeat when using External Instrument in a drum rack. I can also not get to its separate outputs. The same is true for both VST and AU version in Live 9.6.1 64 bit on OS X 10.11.

When I use this with Fxpansion Tremor or any other VST Instrument it's very easy to set up also in the same drum rack as audio outputs as well as MIDI input are available in External Instrument and you just use one per pad/chain.

This is a first for me. Any other of the numerous plug-in instruments I've tried in the same fashion will show up.

Separate outputs work fine when I try to get to it from another audio track and if I get MIDI from another track this will trigger Heartbeat. Both these are nowhere to be found in "External Instruments" though.

Anyone have an idea what could be going on here? A solution?
Last edited by Stromkraft on Fri May 06, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Re: Softube Heartbeat and Drum Racks

Post by Stromkraft » Fri May 06, 2016 3:07 pm

Update

I managed to get External Instrument working in one MIDI track with Heartbeat in another. That's great.

However, I discovered that in fact it wasn't External Instrument that was acting up. Rather it seems to be that Live for some reason prevents both MIDI inputs and audio outputs to be visible the moment you group the working External Instrument to a drum rack. Suddenly the MIDI goes nowhere even if all settings are still visible.

To me this looks like a bug in Live, so I'll report this as one. It could of course be this doesn't work because some non-standard issue with the implementation in Heartbeat.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri May 20, 2016 7:38 am

According to Softube support this seems to be related to the Heartbeat implementation, but it's an Ableton aspect, drum racks, that prevents this from working. I've asked Ableton support to work with Softube so they can improve Heartbeat for usage in Live.

If you're interested in Heartbeat please contact Ableton and ask they work on this with Softube.
Make some music!

login

Post by login » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:54 am

I just demo Heartbeat, I could get it working in drum racks with external instrument. The real problem is Heartbeat limited outputs and internal routing.

It is easier if you start with an empty drumrack and start adding external instruments, then heartbeat at the end and then you route MIDI and audio, and finally changethe notes send from each pad.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:33 pm

login wrote:I just demo Heartbeat, I could get it working in drum racks with external instrument. The real problem is Heartbeat limited outputs and internal routing.
Are you saying you managed to use a sole drum rack with external instruments pointing to Heartbeat residing within the same drum rack and receiving audio from its outputs? One drum rack and no other tracks? If so, please share this rack.

I have no problems with the outputs, except I can't use the internal effects without going trough the main. What are the limitations you mean beside this?

I've set up a rack that I use but I must use Heartbeat in its own track and the drum rack in another so it's not in just one neat track like with my Tremor set up.
Make some music!

login

Post by login » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
login wrote:I just demo Heartbeat, I could get it working in drum racks with external instrument. The real problem is Heartbeat limited outputs and internal routing.
Are you saying you managed to use a sole drum rack with external instruments pointing to Heartbeat residing within the same drum rack and receiving audio from its outputs? One drum rack and no other tracks? If so, please share this rack.

I have no problems with the outputs, except I can't use the internal effects without going trough the main. What are the limitations you mean beside this?

I've set up a rack that I use but I must use Heartbeat in its own track and the drum rack in another so it's not in just one neat track like with my Tremor set up.
Yeah, I did it.

Hope you can use it: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao_tY5E7-eSvgpYPDNxQpYKQ9SSa0A

As for the FX, if you route all the parts to different outputs you can select Solo for both effects and you get the main out without the individual channels.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:09 pm

login wrote:

As for the FX, if you route all the parts to different outputs you can select Solo for both effects and you get the main out without the individual channels.
Thanks login! I appreciate it and assume other Live & Heartbeat users out there will too.

That's good tip for the fX. I'll try it when I need it. Heartbeat really makes a nice compliment and alternative to Tremor, that I mostly like for stranger percussion sounds.
Make some music!

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:43 am

Just coming back from a 1 year break and I'm looking to set this up with my new Push 2 I just got. I have the same issue with it only showing up if I load it on a separate track... what am I missing?

*edit I always figure it out as soon as I ask for help :lol:

You have to point the external instrument back to it's own track and the heartbeat inputs show up.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:15 am

login wrote: As for the FX, if you route all the parts to different outputs you can select Solo for both effects and you get the main out without the individual channels.
At first I thought I couldn't do that in v2.3.91. Either I got the drum I wanted sent to the effects mixed with these or I got nothing when muting the sound.

But turns out I mistook a short delay as the hit. This is how I set up this great tip:

We can note that the mute buttons don't matter when soloing so both effects are heard here above. Levels are managed with the internal effects sends, so good to map these per drum channel.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

ivarin

Post by ivarin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:30 pm

i wish Softube made a dedicated native drum synths for Ableton Live based on Heartbeat

Falcon312

Post by Falcon312 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:08 am

login wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:25 pm
Stromkraft wrote:

Yeah, I did it.

Could you please reshare a link to your rack? I've tried to follow the directions provided but I must be missing one step to make it work properly.
Thanks in advance!

Matcoopa

Post by Matcoopa » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:57 pm

Quick update as I was testing the setup for my project: In Live 11.2.7, use VST version of Heartbeat instead of VST3 in order to use it in a Drum Rack (available as output in Instrument Rack).