Count-in in Ableton Push

Discuss Push with other users.
rxguru

Re: Count-in in Ableton Push

Post by rxguru » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:35 am

The punch in and punch out were not engaged. In session view the count in ONLY works the first time (when there is no clip recorded). If there is a clip recorded, even if that clip is empty....the count in does not work the next time. The only way to get the count in to work is to delete the clip. Bummer.

Stromkraft

Re: Count-in in Ableton Push - SOLUTION and VERIFIED BUG

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:18 am

rxguru wrote: In session view the count in ONLY works the first time (when there is no clip recorded). If there is a clip recorded, even if that clip is empty....the count in does not work the next time.
This NEVER happens to me in Session. I wonder why? You should look over your settings.

OK, I checked. Counter-intuitively this seems to be governed by Start Recording on Scene Launch that needs to be on. I'd suggest we all report this to Ableton as a bug as this actually doesn't make sense. There is already an on/off switch for count-ins. There's no need whatsoever for a separate control.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:27 am

I sent this to Ableton support for Live 9.6.1. (I didn't post it to the beta site because this affects the current version):
"What I do:
With "Start Recording on Scene Launch" set to off and count-in set to 2 bars I start a recording and record one clip on my MIDI track. Count-in runs for 2 bars before recording begins. Then I make another recording.

What I expect:
Count-in to work like the first time and run for 2 bars.

What happens instead:
Count-in is omitted and Live jumps into recording at once.

This can be countered by setting the "Start Recording on Scene Launch" preference to on. This is bewildering for the user and unnecessary. There is already an on/off switch for count-ins. There's no need whatsoever for a separate control. Also even if there is one, this is counter-intuitive and there's no info given that this is to be expected."
Now you send something similar.
Make some music!

rxguru

Post by rxguru » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:49 pm

Thanks Stromkraft, will check settings when I get home. I will also send similar request to Ableton as well.

rxguru

Post by rxguru » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:54 am

Ok just tried several times. Start Recording on Scene Launch option does not affect it. Still no count-in when I press the record button on the second attempt. Goes right into the recording. :(

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:42 pm

rxguru wrote:Ok just tried several times. Start Recording on Scene Launch option does not affect it. Still no count-in when I press the record button on the second attempt. Goes right into the recording. :(

These are my Record preferences. Look them over and try them out:

This could be a Push 2 thing as I have a Push 1.
Make some music!

rxguru

Post by rxguru » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:53 pm

Just applied your exact settings, unfortunately it is a no go. Thanks for trying though. Just found another thread on this forum where someone else was having same problem. Another user told him that count in does not work on pre existing midi clips.This one bothers me I aint gonna lie. Count in should just be a count it.....period.

rxguru

Post by rxguru » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:56 pm

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:55 pm

rxguru wrote:Just found another thread on this forum where someone else was having same problem. Another user told him that count in does not work on pre existing midi clips.
These are two separate problems. Please don't mix up problems, even if related, as that makes it hard to understand and solve the issue. For instance now I don't know if you couldn't get a count-in when overdubbing and if you didn't try a new clip?
Make some music!

rxguru

Post by rxguru » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:33 pm

Not recording a new clip, I am trying to add more elements to the exact same clip (i thought that was called overdubbing...maybe I have definition wrong?). But sounds like same problem to me. I have contacted Ableton, and I see that earlier posters in THIS thread have as well.Maybe Live is trying to be different? But every keyboard workstation, DAW, and NI Maschine I have worked with give you a count-in EVERY time. If you stop the sequencer for whatever reason...then restart it....you get a count in (if that is what you have selected in peferencrs/options)

As I go back and watch the Push 2 original release videos from Ableton, I now notice that the guy demonstrating Push 2 either never stopped the sequencer before he added more elements....OR if he did stop sequencer he would let the beat play through one time and THEN add more elements.No stop,restart,count-in.

rxguru

Post by rxguru » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:12 pm

When you press the Session Record Button in the software GUI, count-in works like it is supposed to work. You get a count in every time regardless. Only when you push the Session Record Button on the Push 2 does it omit the count in after a midi clip has been created.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:13 pm

rxguru wrote:When you press the Session Record Button in the software GUI, count-in works like it is supposed to work. You get a count in every time regardless. Only when you push the Session Record Button on the Push 2 does it omit the count in after a midi clip has been created.
I'd say this is indeed a bug then. I'll see if I can reproduce it.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:32 pm

rxguru wrote:When you press the Session Record Button in the software GUI, count-in works like it is supposed to work. You get a count in every time regardless. Only when you push the Session Record Button on the Push 2 does it omit the count in after a midi clip has been created.
I tested overdubbing (That's the proper word) in Session mode and neither Live 9.6.1 nor Push 1 do a count-in when overdubbing a clip. I can't recreate your overdubbing experience, but I do agree the count-in should always be active if it's on.

These are not two sides of the same problem as count-ins for a new clip can be made to always work as I described before. However they are related as count-ins should always run if set to be active. At least I think so.
Make some music!

rxguru

Post by rxguru » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:14 pm

It works correctly in the software GUI if you select "Start Playback on Record" in the preferences.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:37 pm

rxguru wrote:It works correctly in the software GUI if you select "Start Playback on Record" in the preferences.
Not when overdubbing for me. Naturally I tested with that on and off.
Make some music!