Using Logic X Alchemy inside Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jobinho

Using Logic X Alchemy inside Ableton

Post by jobinho » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:09 am

So it seems this is now possible using Loopback (https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/)

Is anyone using Logic inside Ableton this way, or is there a better alternative?

I'm just wondering how much of a workflow killer it might be or if it's quite easy.

Cheers for any thoughts you have :wink:

Muze

Re: Using Logic X Alchemy inside Ableton

Post by Muze » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:24 am

Isn't this just a new version of Soundflower (but no longer free)?

jobinho

Post by jobinho » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:49 pm

LFO8 wrote:
jobinho wrote:

It's really easy to use and more stable than Soundflower was. Try the demo.

Cheers, just trying to use it now.

Excuse my ignorance, I can't seem to get any audio from Logic into Ableton, how do you link it up?

:wink:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:41 pm

Muze wrote:Isn't this just a new version of Soundflower (but no longer free)?
Loopback is different and not the same code base. Sounds much better I think. I only got occasional distorted sound and glitches from Soundflower for many years in longer sessions or no work at all. That's unacceptable.

I don't have a problem with supporting software that just works. I wasted hours and hope on Soundflower.
Make some music!

jobinho

Post by jobinho » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:12 pm

LFO8 wrote:
jobinho wrote: It's really easy to use and more stable than Soundflower was. Try the demo.
Also, does this method enable Logic & Abeton to sync and can you use midi lanes within live for Logic instruments?

Cheers

jobinho

Post by jobinho » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:40 pm

LFO8 wrote:
Yes, just use Ableton's External Instrument device to get the audio from Logic into Ableton and the midi from Ableton into Logic.

To sync the two apps make sure the the IAC Driver is set as a destination in the Midi Sync Project Settings in Logic. Then in Ableton under the midi preferences, set it to receive sync from the IAC Driver.
Thanks man, I actually got it working well using Soundflower, and it's free so may stick with it until I notice any issues.

I don't suppose you use Push? I'm looking to use my Push 2 in Logic so I can use scales for Alchemy etc.