TouchABLE 3

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Division Monarchy

Re: TouchABLE 3

Post by Division Monarchy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:25 am

They don't sound like good messages. I contacted the developer a week ago with no reply. I guess they don't mind releasing broken software and not having customer support.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:26 am

yur2die4 wrote:I do not select any midi ports for Touchable in Live Preferences. It might only be necessary if you use a midi controller connected to the iPad.
Touchable should be selected as control surface of course and for input but not output.
The midi settings should be selected on for track and remote but I don't think that matters for control surface script conection/recognition.

Have you checked the scripts actually installed into your remote scripts folder? Check folder is there. Manually delete the script folder and reinstall script. Do you have beta copies of live on the same machine? The script could be installed in the beta scripts folder instead.

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:31 am

I've tried that a few times. Does not resolve the issue.

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:03 am

I would like to thank the users that tried to assist me with this. Your time and efforts are greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, for myself to continue to try and get this to work seems fruitless at this point. I've tried every bit of support I can find.

For a future reference, I would like to warn people about this company. The product seems to selectively work on some people's systems and not others. For me, everything is a clean install on a new computer which is used only for music production. I've made a couple attempts to contact the developers and received not one reply. They know that this is an issue with this app, but choose not to fix it. As a paying customer, I find this equally insulting as unethical. Bugs will always be bugs, but to completely blow off customer support is a breach of trust to consumers. I hope the developers of this app reads these forums, because what they do is not right. I know I'm not the only one who spent money on this app and it doesn't work. I see that they have used the funds made from this app to finance more apps that probably don't work just the same. Unfortunately the standard with software seems to have been lowered, and it's companies like this that lower it. Great ideas that are great on paper, but fail to execute and leave the consumer in the dirt. With that said, to the developers of this app, congratulations on stealing my money. It's perfect 21st century thievery.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:09 am

Okay. I'm sure this is an obvious thing you may have tried, but I figured I would ask since it has not been mentioned yet.

Have you completely uninstalled the Touchable server and downloaded the latest one from the site? Also made sure to go into the App Store and make sure your version of Touchable is the latest update? Same with iTunes (maybe, I actually don't have the latest iTunes, so I can't confirm whether or not the latest version would or wouldn't not break it).

Also, this is the thread the developers were using to share news on Touchable: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=208585

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:24 am

Yeah, I've tried that a few times as well...

Generally those are my first steps, to delete and reinstall up to date apps and other things. I tried deleting Live's preferences as well, seeing as that sometimes works for other things, but to no avail.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:32 pm

Other little things like rebooting after script uninstall is worth a try. Clearing out prefs. Sometimes (un)installs are not clean especially updates. I had script recognition issues a few updates back with touchable and found uninstalling everything clearing prefs helped.

If no joy there It might be worth installing a previous version to see if this helps.

http://lifehacker.com/download-old-vers ... 1749950092

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:24 pm

I would not suggest going to an older version.

The whole ecosystem is pretty sensitive. The app the script the server and Live all need to basically 'agree' to work by being versions that each anticipates.

Mostly I am surprised that they have not gotten back to you. From the history on the forum on the link I shared above, it seems they were somewhat passionate about making sure people have a decent user experience.

So far I am puzzled by the possibilities of what could be wrong. We've checked a lot off the list.

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:38 pm

I don't know Touchable or its interface, but in the end all these tools are
Python and network stuff...
So as I asked before: Does the script output any message to the Live status bar after selecting it
and leaving preferences or when loading a new set (I don't know if it's supposed to do so though) ?
And which part gives you the error message ?
The server program on the Mac or the app ?
In the end "Live is not running" is obviously a not very precise error message
as Live IS definitely running...

EDIT: Did you have look at the log file ?
/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x/Log.txt

EDIT2: And there should also be a log file created by the server.
I don't know the exact file location, but it should end with
/touchABLE/touchable-server.log
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:54 am

yur2die4 wrote:I would not suggest going to an older version.

The whole ecosystem is pretty sensitive. The app the script the server and Live all need to basically 'agree' to work by being versions that each anticipates.
If it was working prior to updating to the latest touchable rolling back to a previous vesion is no big deal and worth a try ime.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:10 pm

...have you reinstalled the script?...have you reactivated touchable in the midi settings?...
touchable 3 (and os 10.11.5) is running absolutely flawless for me!...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:13 am

I just realized that I never had it working on my newer computer. My older computer it worked on sometimes, but not too well.

I've tried every suggestion here and then some, but I just can't get it to connect.

Still never heard a word from the developers.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:03 am

Are you doing it through the home network router or trying to do wifi directly to the computer with adhoc?

I have the easiest experience using home network.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:43 am

also, are you using Little Snitch or any anti-virus or anti-malware software?

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:32 pm

Tried home network, and USB.

No to Little Snitch, anti virus, anti malware.