Live 9.7-another update for Simpler,but what about Sampler?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Re: Live 9.7-another update for Simpler,but what about Sampler?

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:37 pm

Ableton-newsletter wrote:If you’re into slicing samples for your beats, this free update to Live 9 will bring some big improvements.
Well. How about if you aren't into that?

I guess that's always what this app was for. Slicing up loops.

And I guess that is the big market. Getting loops and slicing them.

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:40 am

I still dont get all the hooplah for the Push. I owned one for a bout 6 months and realized it just slowed me down and I would have to completely customize my library to get access to everything. Its kind of ironic that software like Ableton which is suppose to foster different workflows would make a controller that forces you into a certain way of doing things.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:49 am

Coupe70 wrote:see topic... :?
I'm guessing Sampler won't get updated until Ableton 10. They are probably experimenting somewhat with Simpler with these upgrades to see how to improve Sampler.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:28 am

mekanism1200 wrote:I still dont get all the hooplah for the Push. I owned one for a bout 6 months and realized it just slowed me down and I would have to completely customize my library to get access to everything. Its kind of ironic that software like Ableton which is suppose to foster different workflows would make a controller that forces you into a certain way of doing things.
I read somewhere official said it appeals casual users who touches controller on weekend. They are trying to make it easier than other midi controllers and work out of the box. It also means "Use it how we designed" philosophy.

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:31 am

I'd like to see Impulse improved a little. Nothing fancy. Just a few more channels, better quality pitch shifting and more filters. But I have a feeling that Impulse will end up in the next update being 'automagically' turned into drum racks complete with the new look Simpler.

+1 for Angstrom's dislike of the new default settings for Simpler. We should be able to set the default settings ourselves.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:50 pm

mekanism1200 wrote:I still dont get all the hooplah for the Push. I owned one for a bout 6 months and realized it just slowed me down and I would have to completely customize my library to get access to everything. Its kind of ironic that software like Ableton which is suppose to foster different workflows would make a controller that forces you into a certain way of doing things.
What are you talking about? I don't feel forced in any way, shape or form. I just use my Push 1 with Sampler most of the time, but occasionally also Simpler, and for some reason I have no issues building kits with samples in neither of these.

This is what I get as default when loading a sample with Push:

Which is, as expected, my template, saved to "On Device View". That's hardly a game stopper.

I don't feel Push is any worse than any other controller with presets in Live, so I'm not sure what you mean. Yes, things could be much, much better, especially with mapping. But what other controllers give you better support for reasonable workflows? Native Instruments? Who? What?
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:21 pm

This is what happens when I'm using Simpler. It will put warping on every time.
I know how to use Defaults and it was the first thing I tried but it doesnt affect this behaviour.

I have confirmed with Ableton that this is the case. This is what it does now. It's for Push people to slice loops, etc.
I don't do that. But I have to have this forced on me.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:45 pm

I definitely feel Angstrom's pain on this. All the changes / new functionality are done solely with Push in mind. Looking at the Release notes just prove the point painfully.

All the work on the software is just about Push compatibility and development.

I don't own push, I don't want push, I couldn't give any shits less about push. I want Ableton to focus on improving and developing the DAW I've been using for the past 8 years. But I guess I'm alone in wanting that, because they certainly don't seem very interested in it. PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH.

sigh.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

iloyd2

Post by iloyd2 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:23 pm

I agree that Simpler should have the option to keep loop/wrapping settings, when you drag/drop sample on it. I'm losing a great deal of time because of that. All I want is to make a settings and scroll between samples using the same setting.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:50 pm

Angstrom wrote:This is what happens when I'm using Simpler. It will put warping on every time.
I tried to verify this problem, but it doesn't happen for me. Maybe I'm missing a step? Obviously I loose the loop when I hotswap the sample, but the new sample doesn't default to warp. To my vexation it doesn't default to my template but to classic mode instead when hot swapping. But no warping.

I seem to remember something in the preferences that applied to Simpler. These are my settings:

What are yours?
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:54 pm

mholloway wrote: I don't own push, I don't want push, I couldn't give any shits less about push. I want Ableton to focus on improving and developing the DAW I've been using for the past 8 years. But I guess I'm alone in wanting that, because they certainly don't seem very interested in it.
Actually the objectives for both of these should go hand in hand and not be in conflict. People using Push actually are likely to want a great DAW as well. Sometimes it feels one team with good clear-headed guys inside Ableton fights another with clouded minds. Why? Could it be so?
Make some music!

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:57 pm

Getting the vibe that people are complaining a bit. Understandable, in a way.

However, Ableton are proud of their flagship controller that tightly integrates with the software, and imho it's understandable that they want to work on it.
Push 2 is dope as heck; anyone who's used it knows it expands your workflow (laptop land isn't always that great).
If you're not going to use it, that's fine, but you probably shouldn't be upset that Push and things relating to it are being worked on to a great extent at the moment.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:26 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Angstrom wrote:This is what happens when I'm using Simpler. It will put warping on every time.
I seem to remember something in the preferences that applied to Simpler. These are my settings:

What are yours?

--- EDIT,

Nope it's not any of that either.

I deleted a bunch of ASD files, and turned off that preference, and even then - dragging an un-analysed sample into Simpler with warp off, loop off .... the warp and loop get activated (on a completely raw sample)

NOTE : the sample has to be longer than a drum. I'm talking about pad and string samples here. Exactly the kind of thing you dont want warped beatmode.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:24 am

I just want to add my vote to Angstrom's rants.
I'm not really happy with the new simpler, don't like the layout (Pitch in the Controls tab, come on ?) and hate the way it decides to warp everything regardless of defaults.
And no matter how hard i tried to love Push, i just hate the workflow, the feel and the many 'improvements' it gave to Live.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:19 am

fully agree with Angstrom as well on the default Simpler 'warp always on' behaviour.
it kills my creative flow when wanting to use the same settings with different samples.
i used Simpler for years to create evolving soundscapes out of shorter samples. now i almost never use it anymore because of this mentioned behaviour.

edit: i just came up with this:

maybe they could add a setting to the right-click menu to disable auto-warping and be able to save and recall this as one of two possible device settings:

1: warp speed on mr Sulu.

2: dammit Jim i'm a doctor not a mechanic (warp off).