Where can I find a great synth sound?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LarZ2

Where can I find a great synth sound?

Post by LarZ2 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:31 am

I just bought Push 2 a few weeks ago. I am using a trial version of Ableton Suite right now. I spend most of my time trying to find good sounds from the MIDI instruments. I have a Yamaha MOX that has some good sounds, but if I record an audio clip, it seems limited as to what I can do with it. Where are all of the good MIDI synth sounds? What do most people use, an external virtual instrument program? What am I missing here?
Thanks, LarZ West Coast USA
LarZ

beats me

Re: Where can I find a great synth sound?

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:56 pm

A lot of people use third party plugins. What type sounds are you looking for?

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:42 pm

LarZ2 wrote:I have a Yamaha MOX that has some good sounds, but if I record an audio clip, it seems limited as to what I can do with it.
Can you elaborate on what is limited? The sounds?

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:32 pm

I would assume since they said recording to audio they mean they no longer have access to MIDI parameters to tweak the sound.

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:52 pm

I am looking for a big rich full bass sound, and synth chords and lead that stand out. There are a few good bass MIDI sounds in Ableton, but a great synth sound -- that's a little harder. Most of them sound pretty wimpy, even with the attack adjusted all the way.

When using audio in, I don't have all of the options to work with that a MIDI track has. Should I be working with audio in to get the good sounds from my synth, then use MIDI for drums since MIDI has all of the timing, sync, quanitize features?

Third Party Plug In; OK, That's what I thought. Ableton is for music creation and it has sounds, but if I want the really great sounds, I need another program or two. Just like buying a guitar, you need effects pedals to go with it.

I am beginning to see the light. I thought the MIDI sounds in the program would have everything I need. Now I am thinking of audio in from my synth, or virtual instrument packages.
LarZ

CheekoStick

Post by CheekoStick » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:55 pm

In my opinion, Serum is the best soft synth out there. I use it for almost every Bass, Lead, Pad, Pluck, etc.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:58 pm

For third party I would highly recommend Serum, very flexible and easy to wrap your head around if you aren’t a long time synth sound designer. Tons of tutorials on YouTube on how to create sounds in Serum.

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:59 pm

OK, next question. What are some good virtual instrument packages at a reasonable price ??
What do you use for EDM or House. What gives you the best sound for the money??

I see a lot of them for sale, don't know what to buy. Don't want to be disappointed if they don't have a demo version to try.
8)
LarZ

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Thanks for the reply, you answered before I sent my next question. Serum, will check it out.
Any others.??
LarZ

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:45 pm

Serum is great for EDM, probably the top soft synth for that right now.

Also get to know Ableton’s instruments a bit more, but Serum should get you where you want quicker.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:52 am

Other good EDM options include Synthmaster, Diva and Zebra. :0). All 3 are great sounding. Especially Diva!

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:53 am

beats me wrote:Serum is great for EDM, probably the top soft synth for that right now.

Also get to know Ableton’s instruments a bit more, but Serum should get you where you want quicker.
Yes indeed. You can get some great sounds from Abletons instruments. Operator is my fave...

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:59 am

You guys are right about Serum. I downloaded a demo and spent a few hours, was able to make some good sounds. Oh yea, this is going to work. It's a great GUI to select and adjust sounds. There is plenty to learn, but it is not hard to find a good sound.
Thanks. That opened up a whole new world.
LarZ

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:28 pm

:)

Do a search for SynthHacker on YouTube and subscribe. He does tutorials on how to make current popular EMD sounds in Serum. He also has Massive tutorials mixed in. Massive is also popular but has been around a lot longer. IMO Serum surpasses it.

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:07 am

LarZ2 wrote:OK, next question. What are some good virtual instrument packages at a reasonable price ??
What do you use for EDM or House. What gives you the best sound for the money??

I see a lot of them for sale, don't know what to buy. Don't want to be disappointed if they don't have a demo version to try.
8)
http://sonicfaction.com/products/kontak ... e-kontakt/

Personally, I recommend the Kontakt version.