Ability to warp audio in Simpler / Sampler

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
marra

Re: Ability to warp audio in Simpler / Sampler

Post by marra » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Stromkraft wrote:So because they didn't implement your favorite feature…
It's a little more than one guy's favorite feature. Combined with Drum Racks Utilizing Warp/Time Stretch, it's easily of the most popular requests in the entire wishlist section.

It's a matter of making one of Live's coolest features available to one of Live's coolest instruments. Live's audio tracks and Sampler are fundamentally of the same nature -- so why shouldn't they be sharing the same functionality?

Ableton is well aware of the importance of sampling in modern music and have invested a lot in the matter by carrying forth the legacy of the legendary MPC and reinventing it into the MPD / APC.

Adding warping to Sampler would put the jewel in the crown and complete Live as the world's #1 sampling software.

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:34 pm

Bump

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:00 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:This thread (started in 2010!) shows that the whole Feature Wishlist section is a joke :x

It's like that "Complaints and Suggestions" box in government offices, that is a slit in some door and if you'd get to walk around that door you'd see that it goes directly into a recycling bin :x

Oh and of course: +1

Yeah for futility.... :(
So because they didn't implement your favorite feature…
...you make a post in the Feature Wishlist section!

This is the game finish the sentence, right?! ;-)
I'll take automation delay compensation any day over this feature. Not that I wouldn't like to see this implemented, but it may very well be that the amount of people needing warping in Sampler/Simpler are fewer than you would think. I actually know of no-one wanting it and find my self alone singing the praise of Sampler.
Absolutely possible! Just as there are probably fewer people, who need PDC to make music than you think :!:

The only question that remains is: Why did you post in this thread again?! You did notice that it is called: "Ability to warp audio in Simpler / Sampler" and not "PDC, after only 10 years! - Yeah for progress", right?!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:43 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
The only question that remains is: Why did you post in this thread again?! You did notice that it is called: "Ability to warp audio in Simpler / Sampler" and not "PDC, after only 10 years! - Yeah for progress", right?!
A very good question that beats me. Especially as I'm on your side and you most certainly posted in the right forum. I'll have to blame the lack of coffee. :oops:

I certainly wouldn't mind an evolved Sampler (or Simpler) even though warped audio in either is a bit further down on my list.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:47 pm

marra wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:So because they didn't implement your favorite feature…
It's a little more than one guy's favorite feature. Combined with Drum Racks Utilizing Warp/Time Stretch, it's easily of the most popular requests in the entire wishlist section.

It's a matter of making one of Live's coolest features available to one of Live's coolest instruments. Live's audio tracks and Sampler are fundamentally of the same nature -- so why shouldn't they be sharing the same functionality?
I hear you, however, you can't rely on Feature Wishlist alone for statistics. I'd be pretty sure Ableton doesn't. While I may not use Sampling that way I know quite a few artists that would so I'm in favor of this, but only in a package of an overhauled Sampler (assuming Simpler is included), OK?
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:55 pm

How do you guys imagine Warping in Sampler/Simpler would work?

I would like MIDI reflecting changes in Audio inside Sampler/Simpler and warping in these instruments reflecting changes in MIDI.

This way you could get a sliced warped sample adapt to the groove of a completely different clip without doing the route via extract groove and quantize/apply groove and there would be no holes in the audio.
Make some music!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:38 am

Stromkraft wrote:How do you guys imagine Warping in Sampler/Simpler would work?

I would like MIDI reflecting changes in Audio inside Sampler/Simpler and warping in these instruments reflecting changes in MIDI.

This way you could get a sliced warped sample adapt to the groove of a completely different clip without doing the route via extract groove and quantize/apply groove and there would be no holes in the audio.
I think you may be overthinking this. As I understand it (and personaly mean it) warping is simply meant as a shorthand for timestretch. So in that it would pretty much work like Kontakt in that regard.

What you are describing sounds very interesting, but I have a hard time to imagine how that could be done from a perspective where you can still interact with it in the way you explained it.
So once you put a warped sample into Sampler it stays warped as you made it, like it is a new different sample, but the actual warp markers are lost.

Not that I would have a problem with Ableton implementing it as you described though, if they possibly can 8)

Edit: Well thinking about it why not?

It could work by preserving the warp markers, but you not editing them in Sampler, but when you double click the sample view it just opens again in the clip view.

Within Sampler you could still have a field (best would be scrollable with an assignable controller) to surf through grooves from the Groove pool, and you could have another encoder for the groove amount, similar to how the Global Groove amount works. Or even encoders for all five parameters that you can control in the groove pool.

Sounds fairly straight forward.

marra

Post by marra » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:55 am

TomViolenz wrote:I think you may be overthinking this. As I understand it (and personaly mean it) warping is simply meant as a shorthand for timestretch.
yup we just wanna warp/timestretch our stuff man..

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:17 pm

TomViolenz wrote: Edit: Well thinking about it why not?

It could work by preserving the warp markers, but you not editing them in Sampler, but when you double click the sample view it just opens again in the clip view.

Within Sampler you could still have a field (best would be scrollable with an assignable controller) to surf through grooves from the Groove pool, and you could have another encoder for the groove amount, similar to how the Global Groove amount works. Or even encoders for all five parameters that you can control in the groove pool.

Sounds fairly straight forward.
:-), Yes, I'd go for something like that.

A friend of mine is warming me up to warping of recordings of the stuff we do on analog gear. It's really interesting. To pair that kind of treatments and possibly something like real time stretching with filters and other more synthesizer stuff in Sampler/Simpler would be really interesting. Real time might cost too much CPU though. I'm really very fond of all functionality that treats audio as totally moldable.
Make some music!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:10 am

In the Live 10 dream thread I posted before, that I would want Sampler merged with the Looper for exactly these kind of purposes.

It would live sample the incomming audio, with all the Sampler effects and modualation usable while it records and when you stop this loop you can go directly to loop recording the next one by one after the other filling up the SampleSelector slots. 8)

Logic8807

Post by Logic8807 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:13 am

I love when Ableton listens!
https://soundcloud.com/thegraysmith/asp ... itch-remix

Check me out...let me know what ya'll think.

marra

Post by marra » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:16 am

Logic8807 wrote:I love when Ableton listens!
What do you mean? Have they implemented it?? 8O

marra

Post by marra » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:05 pm

Some good news on this:
Hi there,

Thanks for contacting Ableton!

Warp Modes are directly available in the new Simpler as of Live 9.5 (see attachment). More on this can be found here:

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article/simpler-warp/

Since Sampler is more beneficial in multi-sampling where the variance in your samples are greater, it's best you stick to using warp with Simpler. Furthermore, Sampler has quite a few functions that allows for manual tuning, so much of the fine-tuning tools are there whereas more of the "automated" parameters can be found in Simpler.

To prevent overlap in functionality between Sampler and Simpler, the warp modes have only been introduced to Simpler. More on the difference between Simpler and Sampler can be found here:

https://ask.audio/articles/ableton-live ... vs-sampler

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best,
Jimmy

Ableton Support