Multiple instances of Live on OS X

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
knatten

Multiple instances of Live on OS X

Post by knatten » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:22 pm

You've probably heard this a thousand times before, but I'll just chime in with my most desired feature for Live on OS X: The ability to have two sets open at the same time.

Some times I save my set under a new name, take the arrangement in a whole new direction, and the next day I decide I want to keep a bit of the old and a bit of the new. This is a very cumbersome thing to do when I can't open two instances of Live. Another use case is remixing an old track in a new set, and I'm sure there are more.

kingslim

Re: Multiple instances of Live on OS X

Post by kingslim » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:37 am

open Live

open Terminal type:
open -n
then drag the live application to the window or specify the path, it becomes something like:

open -n /Applications/Ableton\ Live\ 9\ Suite.app

hit enter

another instance of Live will open, will give a popup warning that rewire is disabled while 'other rewire master is open' ..
or you can select tracks and drag them to the library, to bring them into other sets.

knatten

Post by knatten » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:55 pm

Great, thanks! That solves it for now. Would still appreciate some more official support for it though.

kevinreynoldsdetroit

Post by kevinreynoldsdetroit » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:06 pm

Is this working okay? I just watched a video that basically did a copy paste of the Ableton application in the Applications folder (instead of opening terminal?)

Thanks!