Why does Ableton keep adding new features that no one wants?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: Why does Ableton keep adding new features that no one wants?

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:44 pm

According to this thread that’s where you post things that Ableton absolutely won’t implement. :x

Jay_NJ

Post by Jay_NJ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:44 pm

beats me wrote:New iPhone season is upon us and there are actually people pissed off that Apple isn’t inspiring them enough to spend money on something they don’t actually need.
beats me wrote:
That's the thing. People have come to expect that something huge needs to happen every year. With Live, it can already do so much, what other huge advances can be made at this point short of redesigning the entire thing - which I hope they never do.

Don't get me wrong, of course there is always room for some improvement, but it's not like the wheel needs to be reinvented every year.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:50 pm

I like the fact that Ableton has been introducing new features in 9 updates as opposed to waiting for an upgrade to a new version. I think in past versions they just did bug fixes.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:27 pm

Very true. There have been a LOT of additions. In fact there have been so many I'm not sure I could list them all without googling.

Dual screen. Cytomic filters and the Tuner are all things I use every day. Obviously for other people the Simpler update was very good too (although it was a negative for me), and I'm sure there have been many features added to Push which are well received. Oh and Link. If I actually had a modern laptop I'd probably use that!

mrweasel

Post by mrweasel » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:08 pm

Push would be a lot more useful if Ableton's instruments and sound banks didn't sound so tinny.
Give me a Native Instruments interface and controller any day over my Push.

Maschine integration in Ableton could be rethought from the ground up. Now that is a killer idea.
Cheaper and faster than overhauling thin sounding instruments.
My2c

ps: i do own push, ableton, maschine and komplete, so it's not an ableton vs native post. Just stating the obvious

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:44 am

beats me wrote:I like the fact that Ableton has been introducing new features in 9 updates as opposed to waiting for an upgrade to a new version. I think in past versions they just did bug fixes.
Well the point of the OP was not that Ableton does not introduce features.
The point was that Ableton keeps ignoring (lots of valid) user requests and the missing of several basic features,
while introducing features that nobody requested. Not all of them stupid or useless, of course this is not a 100%
percent black/white thing, but I see this tendency, too.

EDIT: Btw, they added Amp and the Bridge in Live 8.2 (another effortful thing nobody asked for...) and 64 Bit support in Live 8.4
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

login

Post by login » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:07 pm

I agree with Amstrong on the features I have liked and use fromt he ones released since 9.0. I would add the RMS meters as a big one for me.

I don't know about simpler because I don't use sampling in my music but I feel they did those to compete with maschine since the most common answer in the Push vs Maschine debate was "If you want to sample go with maschine".

About the sounds, some could be better I specially think they should invest in presets for operator now that the filters are updated.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:50 pm

I been away for a while dudes - is 9.5 a free or paid update from 9 suite?

I looked around the (still) confusing website and I couldn't work out whether it was free or how much it cost!

Cheers

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:06 pm

Log into your account on the site and you will be able to see a download for the most recent available version.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:09 pm

So it does - 9.6.2 - thx!

Worth the pain?

login

Post by login » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:16 pm

ian_halsall wrote:So it does - 9.6.2 - thx!

Worth the pain?

Check the release notes to see if you care: https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... ase-notes/

From 9.5 to me the new filters and the RMS meters were very nice improvements. I am sure for some the changes for simpler are ince too.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:23 pm

Saw that - idgaf about filters tbh - they all sound ok to me.

Is new Simpler as good as Kontakt? that's what I normally use for anything complex timestretching, chopping etc..

Simpler was cool for drums but little else imo...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:51 pm

Simpler is OK for some people, it looks more modern, but I actually use it less now. Some of the changes make it less useful to me.

The best reason to update: In more recent versions Live has squashed a LOT of bugs. I used to be plagued by clicking, CPU jumps, GUI jitters and lots more. Most of that is fixed now. Even the shitty auto-snap feature slowly lost a lot of problems by about version 9.5.x . Etc. If you use Live9 , the early versions are buggy as fuck, the post 9.5.1 versions get a lot less buggy.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:56 pm

I never found live 9.x buggy but my setup is very simple(r) - pure software.

If I remember rightly you have a much more complex setup Angstrom...

studiojohnny

Post by studiojohnny » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:48 am

Coupe70 wrote:Well the point of the OP was not that Ableton does not introduce features.
The point was that Ableton keeps ignoring (lots of valid) user requests and the missing of several basic features,
while introducing features that nobody requested. Not all of them stupid or useless, of course this is not a 100%
percent black/white thing, but I see this tendency, too.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one that thinks this.

Does anyone know anyone on staff at Ableton? I'd be so curious to get the inside scoop on their thought process.