Native LFO

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Re: Native LFO

Post by Angstrom » Sun May 08, 2016 9:00 pm

Btw ... Here's that often referenced "rewrite" post by Robert which talks about modulation, of course it is only relevant in the context of the year it was written. 2008. However - it always comes up "I heard an Ableton Developer said ..." . Yes, he did, in 2008.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86366&p=646874&hili ... on#p646874

And the "big changes" he talks about there were actually included in L9

Signed - The CryptKeeper

td6d

Native LFO

Post by td6d » Tue May 17, 2016 1:49 pm

Great read!
If the rewrite actually fixed this problem I really hope things like modulation/automation devices will happen soon.
Live starts to feel like outdated software that tries to be hip by repeating old tricks.

Joseph Thorne

Post by Joseph Thorne » Wed May 18, 2016 9:33 am

td6d wrote:Great read!
If the rewrite actually fixed this problem I really hope things like modulation/automation devices will happen soon.
Live starts to feel like outdated software that tries to be hip by repeating old tricks.
Couldn't agree with you more, i have taken the plunge myself and purchased bitwig and live really needs to get their "things" together in order for me (and i assume many others) to use it as the main DAW.

At the moment i have been jumping between the two, however if bitwitg keep the updating and listening to their users it will become the DAW of choice for myself.
Even though it may not be a simple implementation of the modulation, its one of many vital points that live need to work on in order to keep its user base.

td6d

Post by td6d » Mon May 30, 2016 3:54 pm

Joseph Thorne wrote:
td6d wrote:Great read!
Couldn't agree with you more, i have taken the plunge myself and purchased bitwig and live really needs to get their "things" together in order for me (and i assume many others) to use it as the main DAW.

At the moment i have been jumping between the two, however if bitwitg keep the updating and listening to their users it will become the DAW of choice for myself.
Even though it may not be a simple implementation of the modulation, its one of many vital points that live need to work on in order to keep its user base.
Hmm, yeah. If the next Live update doesn't step up I might check out Bitwig myself. Starts to look like a better upgrade than a Live update.

Able_Belamy

Post by Able_Belamy » Mon May 30, 2016 5:24 pm

+1
You can get more interesting sounds much quicker in Bitwig. It feels like one big modular synth/daw. The only thing holding me back making the switch is that I'm so used to Live. If they don't up their game in the near future I'm off.
Noblige oblesse.

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:56 pm

Up for the +1

knatten

Post by knatten » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:50 pm

One more vote for an LFO!

S-N-S

Post by S-N-S » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:58 pm

would really really also like to see a native Lfo device being added

jobinho

Post by jobinho » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:20 pm

+ 1

In fact I'm demoing BItwig today and selling my Suite license (considering a downgrade)

Is there a 3rd party alternative to M4L LFO tools?

chrisw63

Post by chrisw63 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:20 pm

Bump. +1. Whatever...

I use Ableton Live LIVE. Its right in the name!! And yet, if I want to modulate something built in to an instrument I can't (Standard, not Suite, so no M4L). I should be able to drop a device in the track prior to an Instrument, map an LFO (with loadable waveforms) to a control on that Instrument, then map the LFO controls to my MIDI controller and be able to change frequency, depth, even waveform while performing.

It really wouldn't be hard to do. Since its before an Instrument, it would use the base MIDI device class, except it would do nothing to the incoming MIDI but pass it on. The Automation hooks in the Instrument are already there! All you really need is to hook them to the LFO output and add the same controls that are already in Auto Filter, etc.

And how about a Sustenuto device while you're about it? I know, I know.. it works if the instrument supports it... BUT, most instruments Don't. Even the ones that were MADE for pads (which would benefit most from sustenuto). Super simple to implement - would probably take a day for anyone familiar with M4L to make, but would really benefit everyone if it were a regular MIDI device.

I can't afford another $300 for Suite, so Max is out for me, and it seems there are plenty of people who have M4L that don't think its all that hot anyway.

td6d

Post by td6d » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:19 am

I'm glad this is still getting support, maybe we'll be heard in the near future!

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:11 pm

would be nice. I won't use mfl because there's no guarantee that when reloading projects later on down the line that mfl stuff will load up w all settings intact. After messing w bitwig, i def see the value in a native lfo/envelope follower

td6d

Post by td6d » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:37 pm

Michael Hatsis wrote:would be nice. I won't use mfl because there's no guarantee that when reloading projects later on down the line that mfl stuff will load up w all settings intact.
Yeah, this is definitely one of the reasons I'm not using it aswell.

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:16 am

Hey people, check out tip 14 in this article:

http://little-scale.blogspot.com.br/201 ... -2017.html

I'll quote for posterity, but everyone should check the whole article/videos:

"A custom LFO can be made by setting up a new MIDI track with a clip containing control data. The output of this MIDI track is then routed to a virtual bus. While this clip is playing, the data can be mapped to any parameter on another track - in this case the level of a modulator in Operator"
♥♥♥

Able_Belamy

Post by Able_Belamy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:47 am

antic604 wrote:Yes, so much this - it's ridiculous that something as basic as LFO device isn't a native Live9 effect! I have Suite with Max4Live, but somehow I'm always anxious using it - it seems fiddly, unstable and takes ages to load. Maybe it's because I like my things nice & tidy and M4L devices all come with their own colors, GUI ideas and fonts, sometimes pictures in the back, etc. which just pisses me off.

+1 for native LFO device :)
The biggest downside of m4l for me is that it takes so long to load, even with a ssd. It kind of feels like it slows everthing down.
Also projects with m4l plugs take ages to load. It just messes up your workflow and feel.
Noblige oblesse.