How would I go about recording from multiple sources?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
General Static

How would I go about recording from multiple sources?

Post by General Static » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:00 am

So I was wondering, how would I record from multiple sources when my PC only has one mic input. Would I get some kind of mixer? And if so, could someone point me to what I'm looking for?
Bacon.

Stromkraft

Re: How would I go about recording from multiple sources?

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:34 am

General Static wrote:So I was wondering, how would I record from multiple sources when my PC only has one mic input. Would I get some kind of mixer? And if so, could someone point me to what I'm looking for?
I assume you mean multiple audio sources. If so where do you want to record these to? Do you want separated audio sources on their own tracks or are you more wanting to mix down these multiple sources to a single stereo track? Start with what you need to do and what you want to achieve and plan from that.

If you don't have a stereo line input you need an audio interface anyway and if you want to record sources to their own tracks then you need multiple analogue inputs in that interface even if you also use a mixer.

There are some useful integrated mixers — mixer functionlity and multiple in/outs — like for instance Mackie or more budget-oriented alternatives.

If you don't intend to mix with the mixer itself then just look for an well known audio interface with a history of updated driver support from the maker (or plan to stay with older software for a while) with as many inputs you can need to record at one time (For a drum kit that can be as many as 10 or more just for that).

And if you just want to record on a stereo track use an analogue mixer — There are lots to choose from at different price points — and an audio interface with just a few inputs channels (preferably with 48V phantom for those mics when you use such). If your input is stereo and can be set to line level maybe you can use the internal audio, but a dedicated audio interface do IMO often sound better for recordings. Sometimes you just want to work with what you got though.

Look for a mixer with good noise/signal ratio and the features you think you will need.
Make some music!

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:12 pm

General Static wrote:So I was wondering, how would I record from multiple sources when my PC only has one mic input. Would I get some kind of mixer? And if so, could someone point me to what I'm looking for?

Either a mixer or Audio interface with the appropriate number of inputs you need for all of your sources.

General Static

Post by General Static » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:04 pm

Well llets say I have 2 keyboards that I want to record, to ableton or audacity. asically, if I have one 3.5 mm mic port on my computer, how do I get more?
Bacon.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:12 pm

General Static wrote:Well llets say I have 2 keyboards that I want to record, to ableton or audacity. asically, if I have one 3.5 mm mic port on my computer, how do I get more?
If you want more 3.5 mm mic computer ports specifically, get more computers, lol

Otherwise, I think the two posts above have answered your question pretty well....

Post by 102455 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:40 pm

General Static wrote:Well llets say I have 2 keyboards that I want to record
OK you've got two keyboards - but if there's only yourself then you'll presumably be playing one at a time, yes?

So with multi track recording software like Live, you record your first keyboard part, then record your second part afterwards, whilst Live plays back the first part.

General Static

Post by General Static » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:02 pm

ok, thanks for the replies guys! This helped me a lot. I think, considering I'm only playing them one at a time anyways, that I'll be fine.
Bacon.