Native Instruments just ripped off Push big-time, ha!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yur2die4

Re: Native Instruments just ripped off Push big-time, ha!

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:27 am

It gets to a point where each individual's demands are different.

I don't know what you visualize as a mixer that complements Push. There are many products that already exist which might fit the bill.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:40 am

InLight-Tone wrote:
please address the arrangement view...(with either/or device)...
With the Push naturally. There's nothing or very little in Arrangement view I can see that couldn't be supported by any of the Pushes to ease Arrangement work.

<OFF-TOPIC>
And it remains stupid you can't select grooves from the Push. Are grooves great? Yes, they're insanely great and useful. Aren't grooves the same as swing? No, only if you don't understand the grooves function do you assume this would be the same as a Swing function. Stupid! (For instance grooves allows for non-destructive quantizing.)
</OFF-TOPIC>
Make some music!

kirillov

Post by kirillov » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:34 pm

mholloway wrote:

Hmm, sounds familiar...<cough>PUSH<cough>
actually Id say push clearly followed maschine in the first place...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:09 pm

kirillov wrote:
mholloway wrote:

Hmm, sounds familiar...<cough>PUSH<cough>
actually Id say push clearly followed maschine in the first place...
Because you can control Live clips and other parts with Maschine? 8O
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:34 pm

You can control Maschine scenes and patterns from Maschine. There is a keyboard mode. There is a 'display' and a browser that loads devices into the software. There are the 8 multi-function encoders near the display. Push is a chip off the old Maschine block. Then Push 2 came even closer with a display of waveforms and channel meters.

Push is a lot like Ableton trying to use the Maschine formula on Live.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:43 pm

yur2die4 wrote:
Push is a lot like Ableton trying to use the Maschine formula on Live.
Yeah, but as Maschine doesn't control Live itself directly The Pushes are hardly rip-offs. I think I agree with Rounik that this Jam thing isn't close to a Push either. I'd like a controller of Komplete, but not even the keyboards feel that hot to me.

I wonder how the Jam thing will work with all of the Komplete packages. Maybe also people without Maschine interest can make use of it, though I doubt it. I was actually looking at Maschine as a general controller just the week before the Push 2. I'm still somewhat interested in it as an interface to Softube Heartbeat. I would probably like the drum synths that I think comes with Maschine 2.
Make some music!

G-force

Post by G-force » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:10 pm

I used to have a Maschine, but ended up selling it after the stagnant update roadmap from NI. Then when Push 2 and the Simpler update came out it was a no brainer. Ableton took a chunk of what Maschine used to do, but did it better, namely sampling. Now NI is trying to not only catch up, but trying to get back at Ableton with scenes and launching and a new piece of hardware to go with it. It's too little too late, IMHO.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:28 pm

I e been trying for months to sell my Maschine Studio, no one is interested even at pretty low prices. Crazy

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:32 pm

Tarekith wrote:I e been trying for months to sell my Maschine Studio, no one is interested even at pretty low prices. Crazy
Mine is on eBay right now. It is in excellent condition, comes with 16 expansions, a padded cover and everything as if brand new. The starting bid is $725.00 and $38.00 to ship it. Some @sshole bought it then refused to pay, so after going round and round with eBay it's re-listed. And what did eBay do to the non-paying jerk? Nothing.

daddytang

Post by daddytang » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:53 pm

I have come to grips with the fact that my Machine MKI is now a midi controller. The software was so bad i gave up on it years ago. Nothing beats a Push and Ableton for getting ideas in quick. NI really should get out of the hardware game or write a respectable DAW.

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:23 am

daddytang wrote:I have come to grips with the fact that my Machine MKI is now a midi controller. The software was so bad i gave up on it years ago. Nothing beats a Push and Ableton for getting ideas in quick. NI really should get out of the hardware game or write a respectable DAW.
Where is the "Like" button? Ditto, I agree 100%

login

Post by login » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:44 am

I think NI should have made a synth controller already, something with lots of encoders and a good layout for synths.

I was quite excited when the kontrol s series came out but after seeing it was the same old 8 encoders I was totally let down.

Now ableton has a better controller from making "beats" with more powerfull software and I feel NI doesn't know what direction to take.

And now Roland with their plug out stuff is filling a void that software developers have not even tried to fill.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:25 am

daddytang wrote: NI really should get out of the hardware game or write a respectable DAW.
Because yet another DAW is exactly what the world of music needs? Given the undertaking and the risk I think I'd rather they kept at making some of the greatest synth packages in the world. But then again as you hint maybe that's not enough. Anyway I trust they make the decisions that work for them and I hope they thrive and evolve their current line.
Make some music!

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:41 pm

I'm guessing people who say NI should make their own DAW haven't spent any time with the Maschine software 8O

I mean, in some ways Maschine is fast and fun; I do like the software version 2 (I -hated- the software version 1).

but it's also so weirdly dated in so many ways, very non-intuitive / difficult to do serious arrangement with.

It's GREAT if your intention is to create cool loops quickly that you then export as Audio to your main DAW -- that's what I do, into Ableton. But it's just a cool additional sequence making tool, for some hands-on fun; it's FAR from indispensable to my workflow.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:43 am

daddytang wrote:I have come to grips with the fact that my Machine MKI is now a midi controller. The software was so bad i gave up on it years ago. Nothing beats a Push and Ableton for getting ideas in quick. NI really should get out of the hardware game or write a respectable DAW.
Somewhat in the same boat. Many people love Maschine's sequencer but IMO, it is not as immediate as Ableton's workflow (and I'm not even talking about Push). I didn't like where you have to predefine patterns and the timing don't seem as tight. I love Ableton's ability to record without predefinining clip lengths. And Ableton has a much better piano roll and Push step sequencer for that matter. No doubt the the problem is probably just me not learning it (Ableton's learning curve seems smoother to me even though I had to struggle on some concepts).

That said it has great sounds and as an Ableton controller it is pretty good for many things. NI did get the pads right as well (I like them much better than the clunky MPC pads).

It is good though that NI is giving Ableton some competition and in the end I hope it helps Ableton make Push even better.