Ubermap for Push 2 (VST/AU parameter remapping)

Discuss Push with other users.
[chris b]

Re: Ubermap for Push 2 (VST/AU parameter remapping)

Post by [chris b] » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:16 am

I've used it on Win 10 and Push 1. It works fine for me.

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:18 am

Don't suppose you could post pics of where you have everything installed by any chance? So that I can compare it with my setup.

I cannot get it going for the life of me.

[chris b]

Post by [chris b] » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:14 am

I followed the guide. I'm not using it anymore though as I found Preditor to be a bit more user friendly.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:26 pm

Just thought I'd let OSX users know that it works fine on Live 9.7b5.

Hope you Windows guys can it sorted out.

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:07 am

Hope I can get it going as well. I've noticed that once I replace the _init_.py file in the Push 2 directory and restart Live, Live doesn't recognise the Push2 as an option under control surfaces which is why it's not getting past the logo.

I've emailed Tom direct. Hopefully he gets back to me.

Bought Preditor but it appears as though you can remap on a patch by patch basis but not for a VST as a whole. I've emailed support hoping I'm wrong.

cohamill

Post by cohamill » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:24 pm

cskracer wrote:I've emailed Tom direct. Hopefully he gets back to me.
I emailed Tom a looooong while back with a similar issue. He never replied. Hopefully you have better luck. If so, get back to us here with what he says!
cskracer wrote:Bought Preditor but it appears as though you can remap on a patch by patch basis but not for a VST as a whole. I've emailed support hoping I'm wrong.
I used to be a PrEditor beta tester, but found the process unintuitive and cumbersome to set up and to use repeat templates. I also found the documentation/tutorials to be super scatterbrained and disorganized, thus aggravating the cumbersome-to-use issue.

I think it should be possible to remap entire VSTs, but if I recall, you must save your remapped template as a racked preset (unless that bit's changed) that you load each time you want to use your custom mappings (i.e., your mappings are saved within a rack, not within the VST itself, so loading the VST directly instead of the racked preset you saved won't work). Then you can just resave it with another name if you create a cool patch.

In the end, I just tried to go back to Ubermap because, although the customization process via a text editor is totally old school, it is much simpler and more transparent than PrEditor. It is also free :)

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of PrEditor.
Last edited by cohamill on Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[chris b]

Post by [chris b] » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:21 am

I've had some minor issues with Preditor that I didn't have with Ubermap, some user error, some I agree the documentation could have been better. It edits the VST layout in the same way as Ubermap though. I haven't saved any racks.

I find it a lot easier to organise parameters due to the GUI nature of it.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:06 pm

...now with the 1.3.6 update preditor is absolutely flawless on my system...i can't think of anything easier to setup...open live, open preditor, select vst, map/label/re-arrange to your needs...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:43 pm

We'll be updating the manual from scratch in the next few weeks, Lee's rate of development has far outgrown the original manual and bolting new features into it...

Thanks for the feedback...

Cheers
D

[chris b]

Post by [chris b] » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:23 am

Just like to say that any time I've emailed support, Lee's response has been fantastic. Very, very quick at responding.

peterswimm

Post by peterswimm » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:44 pm

I actually found the preditor experience kind a headache, but admittedly its been awhile since I last looked at it.

sigabort

Post by sigabort » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:39 pm

cohamill wrote:
cskracer wrote:I've emailed Tom direct. Hopefully he gets back to me.
I think it should be possible to remap entire VSTs, but if I recall, you must save your remapped template as a racked preset (unless that bit's changed) that you load each time you want to use your custom mappings (i.e., your mappings are saved within a rack, not within the VST itself, so loading the VST directly instead of the racked preset you saved won't work). Then you can just resave it with another name if you create a cool patch.
Hi, that's not quite true - that limitation only exists for VSTs that are declared to be multimapped, i.e. Diva, Hive etc because you can have different sets of 128 parameters - I don't really like the solution myself, but Live only supports one mapping of a VST and doesn't allow you to name the instance itself, so it has to be racked so you can give the mapping a unique name. Otherwise, all of your Diva instances would have to use the same 128 parameters and you might have 2 different presets one which needs 1 set of parameters mapped and the other that needs others. I keep trying to find another solution to this but there isn't one really...

There will be an option to set a master map for these VSTs in the next update so that you can pick your common 128 parameters by default and only have to go to racks if you want to control a different set of 128 parameters...

As Darren has already mentioned we realise that the docs and vids have become somewhat disjointed and will be releasing new (more coherent) docs in the near future along with some new vids that cover everything in one go rather than the piecemeal solution we have currently.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:01 am

Hi guys,

Sorry to be the forum police but out of respect for Ubermap (and Tom), could the Preditor guys start new thread.

I am subscribed here and am interested mainly in the development of Ubermap.

Cheers.

cohamill

Post by cohamill » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:31 pm

nori.lam wrote:Sorry to be the forum police but out of respect for Ubermap (and Tom)
I'm not sure Tom is checking this forum anymore. But...
nori.lam wrote:could the Preditor guys start new thread.

I am subscribed here and am interested mainly in the development of Ubermap.
...fair point.

To bring this discussion back to its original focus, one of the big unanswered questions here is whether Ubermap is compatible with Windows. If not, that would be an enormous bummer, because I can't get this thing to work and am unable to figure out why.

Can anyone with experience weigh in on that?

[chris b]

Post by [chris b] » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:51 pm

I've answered it numerous times. It works.