Ableton Live 9 Apollo Twin and Microkorg xl+

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lacadz

Ableton Live 9 Apollo Twin and Microkorg xl+

Post by lacadz » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:42 am

Hi Guys and congrats for this forum, i come to you because i have a problem with my Microkorg Xl+ and my apollo twin usb . Indeed I plug My Microkorg into the line Input of my apollo, When i play , signal appears on my uad console, no problem. But when i want to rec into ableton live, i don't understand what to do, i put external instr plugin into a midi channel, fine, i have a signal, sound appears but i have all my entire project signal through external instr plugin, not only my microkorg but also drums and all my project, in fact all the signal of my uad console. Any Idea to just have my microkorg signal and rec it in ableton ?

Thanks a lot !

Yannis (france)
pardon my english !

dcease

Re: Ableton Live 9 Apollo Twin and Microkorg xl+

Post by dcease » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:53 am

External Instrument plug is for sending midi to an external instrument and routing the audio of said instrument back into Live. If all you want to do is record your synth you need to create an audio track and select the inputs in Live that correspond with the inputs you have your Korg connected to on your Apollo/Console. It sounds to me like you are routing the main output of Console back into Live via the External Instrument plug. In Live's preferences, in the audio tab, you can select which tracks you want available to Live from your Apollo. This should be input tracks 1&2. Then, in your audio track in Live select these in the input selector. I'd recommend reading chapter 14 in the Live manual, probably explains better than me and has pretty pictures.

lacadz

Post by lacadz » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks a lot dcease, in fact all i want also to have access to midi function of my microkorg and the only way to do that is external instrument plugin, i had a motu ultralite 2 weeks ago and there was no probleme to do that, don't manage to do the same thing with my new apollo twin . will try what you say ! Thanks

lacadz

Post by lacadz » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:14 pm

Indeed It works simply selecting in my case output 1/2 . I am only listening to my Microkorg but only in mono, not in stereo , Don't understand why !

dcease

Post by dcease » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:14 am

lacadz wrote:Indeed It works simply selecting in my case output 1/2 . I am only listening to my Microkorg but only in mono, not in stereo , Don't understand why !
Sorry for getting back so late, couldn't log in on phone, heh. Make sure you don't have a mono UAD plug-in inserted or mono enabled in Console and/or Live. I have a silver face Apollo and use external instrument to route midi/audio to and from a Mopho with no troubles so what you want to do is definitely possible.

Having the UAD plugs available to inputs is nice but the original Console software is... wonky to say the least. I came from a FireFace 400 and was upset with my Apollo at first. Finally purchased the Thunderbolt card to have access to Console 2.0 and feel much more at home. Great product but it's a shame that it really needs Console 2.0 to shine and until they release the software (if they even do) for USB/FW Apollos I'd honestly recommend folks to stay away without Console 2.0. Too expensive for features found on many other (cheaper) units. Not to even mention the UAD aspect and how the Apollo/UAD cards are really just glorified dongles :P