session workflow when recording more than one clip

Discuss Push with other users.
n9

session workflow when recording more than one clip

Post by n9 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:33 pm

OK. let me try my best to explain:

Using push 2. Have multiple audio tracks armed to record. While playing I start a clip in track 1 recording. Then I start a clip on track 2 recording.

When I tap the button on the push for the clip on track 1 to stop it recording and start it looping the recording clip on track 2 does the same... I would think that this shouldn't happen by default, but there must be some reason why.

My question is how do I make it so it does not? I would prefer that second (or third or fourth) clip wait until I tell it to stop recording!

I've read the docs and looked for an answer -- perhaps this is not a common workflow. I have found a quasi workaround using a midi controller, but this should be part of Push.

/robb

ambientidm

Re: session workflow when recording more than one clip

Post by ambientidm » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:07 pm

Push apparently has ruined the ability to record multiple clips independently. I use to be able to record my session view improvisations on a separate track using resample. It is so frustrating. It has basically killed on of my main workflows. It seems that every version of Live becomes less about playing live. :evil:

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:11 am

This doesn't sound right, but I can't figure out what the problem could be...
Ableton Forum Moderator

n9

Post by n9 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:57 pm

I don't think it should work this way. I'm scratching my head because I don't think is USED to work this way.

I'm on the latest beta but I see the same behavior in the latest release as well.

I've found a work around in that I can stop the clip by holding stop clip and pressing the track button under the screen and then start the clip again by pressing the clip button.

But that's not quite right and I still don't like that I could accidentally stop the other clip recording. My workflow is as the other user described in that I improvise in session with a clip recording the master that needs to keep recording no matter what else I do.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:21 pm

Ok, I've tried with the latest beta and can observe the same wrong behaviour.
Is this also happening with the released version?
Ableton Forum Moderator

n9

Post by n9 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:01 pm

yes. i can confirm that it happens with release and beta. to be honest, I think it has worked this way for a while.

this sounds like the behavior may be changed -- that would be amazing!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:51 pm

I've asked around... I'll let you know asap.
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:41 am

n9, this is now filed. Let's hope it gets fixed soon.
Ableton Forum Moderator

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:12 pm

The problem is when you are recording one clip in note mode the pressing the record button on a different track stops the other track from recording. This is without arm exclusive on and makes no difference whether work flow is clip or scene. It's like clicking your turn signal and the trunk opens instead.

n9

Post by n9 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:17 pm

ambientidm wrote:The problem is when you are recording one clip in note mode the pressing the record button on a different track stops the other track from recording. This is without arm exclusive on and makes no difference whether work flow is clip or scene. It's like clicking your turn signal and the trunk opens instead.
+1000

AliMc

Post by AliMc » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:43 pm

I'm pretty sure this behaviour has been around for several versions.
This was one of the main reasons I sold my Push 1 a year ago. I couldn't quite get the workflow right.
If I could record external synths onto audio tracks while playing with and recording drum racks on push, it might just tempt me into buying a Push 2.
Heres hoping...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:02 am

AliMc wrote:I'm pretty sure this behaviour has been around for several versions.
This was one of the main reasons I sold my Push 1 a year ago. I couldn't quite get the workflow right.
If I could record external synths onto audio tracks while playing with and recording drum racks on push, it might just tempt me into buying a Push 2.
Heres hoping...
I don't see this relating to the Push but to how Live itself reacts to certain external commands. Push is just a controller so unless you mean an unavoidable aspect of its control scripts make it the only factor for this behaviour, I'm not following your thinking here.
Make some music!

AliMc

Post by AliMc » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:49 am

Yes you're right in that it does relate to how Live responds to certain external commands.
I think it only becomes an issue when trying to use Push in a certain way.
The workflow I was trying to achieve with Push was to use MIDI tracks to sequence external synths, AUDIO tracks to record the synths and one or two drum racks to use Push effectively as a drum machine and sequencer. (all in session view)
I wanted to record all of this live in one take.
This workflow can be achieved using other controllers (APC40 and a pad controller for example), but with the loss of the great drum rack control that Push gives you.
Unfortunately, I've found that when using Push this workflow is broken, because as soon as you overdub on a drum rack, all recording clips are stopped.
Anyway, hopefully can be fixed soon.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:10 pm

AliMc wrote: The workflow I was trying to achieve with Push was to use MIDI tracks to sequence external synths, AUDIO tracks to record the synths and one or two drum racks to use Push effectively as a drum machine and sequencer. (all in session view)
I wanted to record all of this live in one take.
Well, given that track arm is not exclusive I agree that a running recording should never stop.

You never tried adding automation with Record Session automation in… set to "All tracks" in preferences instead of armed? Because when I do this a recording audio track does not stop and my automation is added to the drum rack track.
Make some music!