Ableton won't show fades on some clips?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
daveedwards

Ableton won't show fades on some clips?

Post by daveedwards » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:01 am

So I first noticed this issue in Live 8, and it still seems to be there in Live 9 so I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong or this is a bug. This only refers to arrangement view.

Basically, Ableton just won't show fades on some tracks. If I bounce say, 5 synths to audio, sometimes all 5 can be cut up and I can put fades on (by using "Show Fades"). But for some reason, with some tracks - and I should note this affects a whole track full of clips at once rather than just a clip here or there - I just can't add fades. I can select show fades as many times as I like, and nothing happens on the track or clips. And I've double checked to make sure "Fades" is selected under what automation I'm viewing, and this still persists.

Just as an example, I've got an audio track right now where this is happening. If I take a clip from this track, and drag it to a new audio track, its fade envelopes pop right up. Drag the same clip back to the original track (the one not showing fades), and the fade handles are gone - but oddly the fade itself is still viewable when looking at the audio waveform. Performing functions like "crop clip" or "consolidate" does not help as this seems to be a track by track bug or issue.

Am I doing something completely wrong or is this just a bug?

Synthbuilder

Re: Ableton won't show fades on some clips?

Post by Synthbuilder » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:46 am

daveedwards wrote:Am I doing something completely wrong or is this just a bug?
I think it's a bug. I see this behaviour in Live 8 from time to time but it doesn't seem to be repeatable so I've not bothered to report it. It does seem to go away on its own but I think on more than one instance I've copied the whole track and then deleted the original to get it to work properly.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:00 pm

Synthbuilder wrote:
daveedwards wrote:Am I doing something completely wrong or is this just a bug?
I think it's a bug. I see this behaviour in Live 8 from time to time but it doesn't seem to be repeatable so I've not bothered to report it. It does seem to go away on its own but I think on more than one instance I've copied the whole track and then deleted the original to get it to work properly.
Reporting bugs, even if they are intermittent, is still valuable. :wink:

Flapj8ck

Post by Flapj8ck » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:34 am

I've been having this same problem as well. The fades simply won't show up. Sometimes clicking on a different track and then going back to the original solves the problem, sometimes it doesn't. Saving and relaunching Ableton seems to be the only sure fix. Annoying bug anyway.

Dom Murphy

Post by Dom Murphy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:48 pm

I have a problem with Fades also where the drop down in the mixer in Arrange view doesn't show the Fade option, I have None or Show All Parameters. Annoying.

Edit: I forgot to add, this is with frozen midi clips - to show fades I have to flatten the track which naturally loses the midi. Still annoying.

Syncretia

Post by Syncretia » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:26 am

2 years later and the same problem is there!

It's so annoying why isn't this getting fixed?
Download and listen @ http://www.syncretia.com

thedrexl

Post by thedrexl » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:06 pm

Never had this problem until the update to 9.5. But I am experiencing the same issues as others above. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. I click the fades option and it may or may not work. It really hinders working on a project.

Dr.YaYa

Post by Dr.YaYa » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:19 pm

+1

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:00 am

Yep that's a bug. It usually happens on tracks that have been frozen at some point.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Marcin7

Post by Marcin7 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:07 pm

I'm using 9.7.6 and the problem is still there. I hope that it could be fixed one day.

kingchatterbox

Post by kingchatterbox » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:33 am

I'm having the same problem on version 10.
I recorded a clip in session view and pasted it in arrangement view. No fading is available.

Strangely, the Fade button is present on the track's Clip View when I'm looking at the track in session view. But in arrangement view the Fade button disappears.

I tried restarting Ableton a few times, and even tried duplicating the file and replacing it, but no dice.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:30 am

In Live 10, make sure you track is expanded higher. It has to be at least 3 times higher than a normal collapsed clip height to show fades.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:38 pm

The problem I had was that the Fade option was in the drop down list but when choosing this option the fade lines wouldn't appear. What I had to do was to click on Show Automation at the bottom of the drop down list and then click on the Fades option again, the lines then appeared.

Sorry I should've said that this is in Live 9.7.6.
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:53 pm

Same problem here with Ableton 10.0.2. Slightly OT, overall, track handling with mouse so much clumsier in AL10.

Couldn't you click anywhere on the clip in arrangement to select it for everything? Now, there is this upper part for notes and clip and lower part for automation. Also track expanding, collapsing and resizing - or have I lost this skill somehow?

Otherwise, Live is amazing.

Farley710

Post by Farley710 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:51 pm

Try selecting the clip and hitting the "A" key. It worked for me