bengal semi-modular FM synth

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
ivarin

bengal semi-modular FM synth

Post by ivarin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:01 pm

so the device seems to be amazing and with great potential, the only thing i noticed from the very start is that a separate bank on push for bengal's sequencer would be sooo nice)
thanks, Christian, amazing work!

discuss the device here i suppose..

kleine

Re: bengal semi-modular FM synth

Post by kleine » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:47 pm

Ok. I first thought that the Macros are sufficient but we'll probably 'map out' Bengal...
:D

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:54 pm

whats the CPU tax like..?

I'm on a 2Ghz intel core i7 and Dark synth is hard work..

How is Bengal in that department..?
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

ivarin

Post by ivarin » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:49 pm

Homebelly wrote:whats the CPU tax like..?

I'm on a 2Ghz intel core i7 and Dark synth is hard work..

How is Bengal in that department..?
well, have to admit that on my i5 @ 2.8Ghz stock presets can easily load CPU up to 70% with nothing else but hey, this is Max
kleine wrote:Ok. I first thought that the Macros are sufficient but we'll probably 'map out' Bengal...
:D
would be excellent!

ivarin

Post by ivarin » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:23 pm

a little bug found:

if to save a preset with sequencer involved in which some steps are disabled, on next loading the patch would work as all of the steps are enabled although it shows correct sequence

kleine

Post by kleine » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:36 pm

Thanks, will fix for the next update.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:06 am

ivarin wrote:well, have to admit that on my i5 @ 2.8Ghz stock presets can easily load CPU up to 70% with nothing else but hey, this is Max
May be it's time for a new native device, this one is a good candidate. Some kind of a semi modular version of Operator.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

ivarin

Post by ivarin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:19 am

crystalmsc wrote: May be it's time for a new native device, this one is a good candidate. Some kind of a semi modular version of Operator.
frankly, i've already abandoned my hopes about new native devices so i force myself to be happy with these 'official' mfl packs/devices. on the other hand, Ableton has so much new ways to implement that, here's one for instance.

native modular implementation would be my bravest dreams to come true but we all know Ableton relies on Max in this field

ivarin

Post by ivarin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:06 pm

very weird LFO behaviour imo, it works only when key pressed so its always retriggered regardless of its setting. the only difference is its starting point on retrigger which doesn't make sense.

another shortage is that LFO couldn't be used as a trigger source without playing a note apart from sequencer

kleine

Post by kleine » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:08 pm

Yes, this is because the LFO's are polyphonic and disabled on a per voice base. We plan to have a 'normal' LFO in
one of the next versions.

ivarin

Post by ivarin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:27 pm

thanks for you reply

sorry, i don't really get what is polyphonic LFO?
like if it's a wave that modulates some parameter (s), how the polyphony could be of use if its in a fixed rate?

kleine

Post by kleine » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:43 pm

It's really only the Display which might be misleading.
You have the two LFO's per voice (which is a musical thing to have).
They are only retriggering when retrigger is on. It 'looks' like retrigger when playing since the LFO's are muted with the respective voice settings but they are free running nonetheless (when unsynced). In sync mode, they are slaved to the Tempo grid but of course still follow the Voice mutes.
That's why we plan to have a 'mono/poly' LFO switch...

ivarin

Post by ivarin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:30 pm

appreciate your response, it's clear now.
then i hope that this mono LFO would be running constantly, regardless any NoteOn/Off messages, like 'in background'

paul4pa

Post by paul4pa » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:12 am

Hi
I have used max for live devices with Ableton since they began their partnership. I have often found them to be unstable e.g no live set with Ableton instruments and FX ever fails to save itself perfectly or crashes during performance , but regularly sets using max devices used to. I have not used max for about 2 years so decided to give it another try as it has been updated, but sadly my first patch save in Bengal inside an Ableton project did not save the synth properly. e.g the LFOs were not running at all, when I reloaded the live set, despite the wire being plugged in correctly (it saved that much right) on the lower half of the interface. Also the top 2 oscillators had changed their wave forms.
This kind of thing is why I stopped using max in the past and I feel a bit of a fool for shelling out $$ before checking Bengal for such things more carefully. I am not asking for any tech support, just exercising my right as a consumer to complain and be openly disappointed and a little disgusted.

kleine

Post by kleine » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:02 am

Hi paul4pa,

It seems to me that you should ask for tech-support.
It's perfectly fine to complain but naturally i'd like to get you up and running.
Feel free to write me directly (via the maxforlive.com page) to sort this out.

Best,
Christian