cpu and audio buffer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mihai

cpu and audio buffer

Post by mihai » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:14 pm

after building an i7 6700 pc and upgrading to live 9 i see that i'm still not able to go past a similar plugin amount as with my old c2d (and live 8) without getting crackles at 1024 samples.
with that being said i'm still running some old fw400 hardware so how much would thunderbolt really improve this situation as opposed to ableton touching up on multicore support?

fishmonkey

Re: cpu and audio buffer

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:29 am

first i would be making sure that you do not need to make some OS configuration tweaks that may be throttling your new machine.

as you say, the second obvious thing is to work out if your old interface and its drivers aren't causing an issue. what is the interface?

mihai

Post by mihai » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:57 am

well nevermind, seems the power setting reset itself since i did have it on high power. (maybe one of the updates did that?)
everything's fine now though. and i'm using a firebox, it's been a real tank throughout the years.

tintala

Post by tintala » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:44 pm

mihai wrote:well nevermind, seems the power setting reset itself since i did have it on high power. (maybe one of the updates did that?)
everything's fine now though. and i'm using a firebox, it's been a real tank throughout the years.

I was having similar issues having after a brand new rebuild, 32gb, i7, 4790k processor, I read about the power settings. I tried it , still not sure though as my "red disc" lite in Live keeps coming on. this really should not be happening with my specs.