Is Apple losing its way in music tech?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
re:dream

Is Apple losing its way in music tech?

Post by re:dream » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:04 pm

Angstrom

Re: Is Apple losing its way in music tech?

Post by Angstrom » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:21 pm

They are fucking up on the consumer side too. My GF wanted a new phone and was going to get the iPhone 7 (she's an Apple freak, with an iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, etc. etc.)

I casually mentioned that she would not be able to use her favourite headphones with it., serious business as she listens to audiobooks all day long on her phone and some wired folding headphones, which she loves. That was enough to put her off the iPhone 7. Strange, but there it is. She's probably the standard Apple consumer and it put her right off. It was less convenient and therefore less desirable than the 6s.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:22 pm

Silly question, why couldn't she use her headphones anymore? I thought the iPhone 7 came with an adaptor?

login

Post by login » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:57 pm

It is not so much that the changes are irrelevant as it is the maintenance costs are getting unsustainable for developers and consumers.

The OS releases really slow down iPads and iPhones, computers not so much but they break so much stuff.

HW and SW developers have to choose between dropping support and alienate customers or invest in fixing bugs, etc.

The whole ecosystem is no longer directed at "pros".

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:00 pm

Apple needs to get their act together. You need a complete system to be successful. That involves developers and media creators.

The only real OS alternative I see these days is Linux. Using Ubuntu on my PC feels more like a Mac than ever. Bitwig is available for Ubuntu… I'm not there yet, but keeping my eyes on the platform.

No matter if I and others switch to something else, the consumers of music might not. Which may affect creators, or not.
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:44 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:Silly question, why couldn't she use her headphones anymore? I thought the iPhone 7 came with an adaptor?
good point, I'd forgotten about the dongle.
TBH she'd lose that thing in a hotel room in 0.5 seconds flat.

unplugs dongle to charge phone overnight.
checks out at 9am.
gets on train - where is dongle?
visit apple store.

repeat.

Ousy

Post by Ousy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:35 pm

its not just in music tech, alot of 3d content creators are switching to windows for more power.

Apple is just different now. If you look at their front page you will see a phone a watch and wireless earbuds and, well, Tim...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVUDdQS2UxA

ChangoM

Post by ChangoM » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:29 am

Ousy wrote:its not just in music tech, alot of 3d content creators are switching to windows for more power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVUDdQS2UxA
One by one, the digital content creators (photo, video, VFX, 3D animation, music) in my circle of a few dozen are moving to Windows with no regrets. I would guess 10 years we were 100% Macs. I'd say we're now close to 80% Windows and rising.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:34 am

no surprise really. they are making megabucks from consumer stuff. pro-audio people are not lucrative customers. most of us don't have wads of disposable money to be upgrading our computers with every speed bump, and also value stability which means not upgrading every time something shiny and new comes out, not to mention having so many other shiny audio hardware and software things to blow limited amounts of cash on. on the other hand, consumers fall over themselves to upgrade to the latest shiny thing.

alpertt

Post by alpertt » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:14 am

Stromkraft wrote: The only real OS alternative I see these days is Linux. Using Ubuntu on my PC feels more like a Mac than ever. Bitwig is available for Ubuntu… I'm not there yet, but keeping my eyes on the platform.
I feel the same way.
I installed recently Ubuntu Studio to a friends old pc and it was more "mac" than my MBP.
If things stays the same, this mac will be the last mac i use.

joefrost01

Post by joefrost01 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:32 am

I've been a staunch Mac user since 2006 and I'm currently watching to see what comes out this year as I'm due for a new machine.

I mainly use Live and Omnisphere 2 plus a few other plugins so CPU power matters quite a lot to me. I also prefer not to freeze if I can avoid it.

I'm torn between getting a powerful new laptop or getting a very powerful desktop machine and keeping my i7 11" MacBook Air for ideas on the go.

Unless Apple come out with something exceptional to replace the Pro then I'll almost definitely go Windows in the case of a desktop. Shame really as I feel like I get more done on the Mac and spend much less time fiddling with the OS to keep things working. That said, Windows has improved a lot since 2006.

ark

Post by ark » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:41 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:unplugs dongle to charge phone overnight.
checks out at 9am.
gets on train - where is dongle?
visit apple store.

repeat.
Surely she's capable of learning to leave the dongle permanently attached to her headphones. And if you're going to say that she has multiple headphones so it will just be attached to the wrong one, my answer is to buy a dongle for each set of headphones--they're less than $10.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:43 pm

I'm slowly making the switch to Windows. The only thing holding me back (other than waiting for my current machines to die) is using Logic for recording and mixing. Will probably make the switch to Cubase in the next couple of years as I just can't justify buying another Apple computer.

Quez

Post by Quez » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:38 pm

I may also move back to Windows, after some 15 years with Apple. They're losing it big time.
My iphone 5s just updated to iOS 10 and it got slower. I'm not going to bother with Sierra... I stick with Mavericks.

Seriously it's so much trouble now to update on OS X. You never know what software you use won't work anymore, how buggy it will get, and if you're gonna have to fork over money to update other software that was working just perfectly fine. They're pushing it with their planned obsolesce bullshit. Unfortunately it's going to take a real long time before it hurts them where it counts so they change their ways.

hyperscientist

Post by hyperscientist » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:16 pm

It's not Apple's fault that some software doesn't work on their recent OS releases. Some companies are always and I mean always on time and some companies are always late, so obviously there is enough time for them to fix it (beta was out there for at least half a year, I even believe that much more). By blaming Apple we are holding innovation.