Group effect

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
8E

Group effect

Post by 8E » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:32 pm

Hello.
Can MIDI tracks be grouped in such way that I can apply MIDI effects to the group?
For instance, I want to change scale to all channels at the same time.
MacOS Mojave MacBook Pro (15", Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Live Suite 10-latest + Push 1
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

8E

Re: Group effect

Post by 8E » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:13 am

Anyone?
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:27 am

octo8 wrote:Hello.
Can MIDI tracks be grouped in such way that I can apply MIDI effects to the group?
For instance, I want to change scale to all channels at the same time.
You can, in theory at least, if you put a device on the group that can be mapped to all those devices on the grouped tracks. As far as I know that'd be a Max For Live controller device. There was a bug involving this type of control in a previous version and I haven't checked if it's gone as I'm not currently using this feature. I need to do it though as I have an extracted drum rack I'd like to add this to.

Recording these changes in a group track will only work in Arrangement, unless you can record it in the MFL device itself.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:40 am

OK, checked and the recording bug is still there in 9.7b9, a release candidate. What happens is that when the recorded automation data is played back the Re-enable automation button goes pink and playback of it is stopped at some point. That's such a big let down Ableton haven't fixed this.
Make some music!

Razz CE

Post by Razz CE » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:36 pm

Stromkraft wrote:OK, checked and the recording bug is still there in 9.7b9, a release candidate. What happens is that when the recorded automation data is played back the Re-enable automation button goes pink and playback of it is stopped at some point. That's such a big let down Ableton haven't fixed this.
Wait, what? Is this only for automation that spans multiple tracks... or some other special condition? Because i've never seen this type of behavior. Man, that stinks.
Win 10 Pro
Ryzen 9 3900XT
UAD Apollo/ART Voice Channel
Ableton Live 10/Cubase 10.5
Push 2/Moog Subsequent 37

tone61

Post by tone61 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:52 pm

Stromkraft wrote:OK, checked and the recording bug is still there in 9.7b9, a release candidate. What happens is that when the recorded automation data is played back the Re-enable automation button goes pink and playback of it is stopped at some point. That's such a big let down Ableton haven't fixed this.
I hope you have reported this to Ableton. Otherwise we might get version 9.7 with this bug.

8E

Post by 8E » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:54 am

Stromkraft wrote:You can, in theory at least, if you put a device on the group that can be mapped to all those devices on the grouped tracks. As far as I know that'd be a Max For Live controller device.
Hum... I am not pretty sure what you mean.
Do I need a separate hardware controller?
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:19 pm

Razz CE wrote: Wait, what? Is this only for automation that spans multiple tracks... or some other special condition? Because i've never seen this type of behavior. Man, that stinks.
It would seem to affect only automation that spans tracks. Ordinary MFL automation on the same track doesn't trigger the Re-enable Automation button in the devices I tried just now to make sure.

Which makes me think that it could be a thing with a specifically used mechanism in the Max For Live devices that are affected.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:22 pm

octo8 wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:You can, in theory at least, if you put a device on the group that can be mapped to all those devices on the grouped tracks. As far as I know that'd be a Max For Live controller device.
Hum... I am not pretty sure what you mean.
Do I need a separate hardware controller?
No, just a Max For Live device that can be mapped to another parameter on any track. Mapping like this used to work in previous versions.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:26 pm

tone61 wrote:
I hope you have reported this to Ableton. Otherwise we might get version 9.7 with this bug.

I reported this pre9.7 on May 10. They responded they were "tracking a few ongoing cases with Live and Max devices triggering the Re-enable Automation Button in Live."

After that I haven't heard much. I'll provide them with a test set later tonight, as it seems I forgot that in May. It's not like it's hard to set up though as it happens every time with for example Sixteen Macros.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:34 pm

OK, did a new test with the native MFL LFO tool and automated the depth parameter in a group track. I'm happy to say this doesn't trigger the Re-enable Automation button at playback (which is the bug).
This indicate this might be a device-specific problem then and that the OP can use my initial advice for devices that do not trigger the buggy behaviour I've reported to Ableton.
Make some music!

8E

Post by 8E » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:29 am

Hm.. I still cannot fix this problem.

An example: I can group MIDI tracks and apply an audio effect (reverb, as an example).
Why is it not possible to apply a MIDI effect as well? In this case I would be able to apply scales and modulation (scale) for entire tracks at once.
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:50 pm

octo8 wrote:Hm.. I still cannot fix this problem.

An example: I can group MIDI tracks and apply an audio effect (reverb, as an example).
Why is it not possible to apply a MIDI effect as well? In this case I would be able to apply scales and modulation (scale) for entire tracks at once.
What MFL control devices have you tried and with what MIDI effects?
Make some music!

broc

Post by broc » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:10 pm

octo8 wrote: Why is it not possible to apply a MIDI effect as well?
Group tracks in Live are *audio* tracks and thus can only host audio effects.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:10 pm

broc wrote:
octo8 wrote: Why is it not possible to apply a MIDI effect as well?
Group tracks in Live are *audio* tracks and thus can only host audio effects.
Well, the MFL mapping devices often come in audio versions, so these can be placed on audio tracks, but that fact is important to note of course.
Make some music!