Upgraded to 9.6.2 and lost my default template

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
patrick.olson86

Upgraded to 9.6.2 and lost my default template

Post by patrick.olson86 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:00 pm

I just upgraded from 9.0.2 yeah don't judge me.. to the latest version. And I lost my default template!

And the only reason I upgraded is because I thought maybe I could do the clip automation in arrangement view (for example - I have a midi instrument with chain selector set to change the bass patch in one midi clip. Had hoped to edit this in clip view BUT in the arrangement view). And now I lost my live template and it for whatever reason lost all my recently viewed files that I used over the past year or so. It's like it didn't transfer any user data I've used over the past year. So annoying.

Stromkraft

Re: Upgraded to 9.6.2 and lost my default template

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:18 pm

patrick.olson86 wrote:I just upgraded from 9.0.2 yeah don't judge me.. to the latest version. And I lost my default template!

And the only reason I upgraded is because I thought maybe I could do the clip automation in arrangement view (for example - I have a midi instrument with chain selector set to change the bass patch in one midi clip. Had hoped to edit this in clip view BUT in the arrangement view). And now I lost my live template and it for whatever reason lost all my recently viewed files that I used over the past year or so. It's like it didn't transfer any user data I've used over the past year. So annoying.
It's still there I think. On a Mac look in the "~/Library/Preferences/Ableton" folder for "Live 9.0.2" and Template.als inside that. Look it up on Windows.
Make some music!

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:50 am

See How to create new or blank Default Sets – Ableton AG for the folder naming pattern on both systems.

And yes, the userprofile of the previous installation should not be lost after an upgrade. Unsuspecting useers may find a whole history of abandoned profiles.

patrick.olson86

Post by patrick.olson86 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:01 pm

Thanks for the answers!
I will test this out in the next few days. I had just spent a few hours building in new tracks with audio effects built in as the default I would hate to lose it.

chrk

Post by chrk » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:40 am

Would you like multiple templates instead of just the one default?

Create a folder "Templates" in your user library, save your template sets there. When double clicked or dragged into the Live window these will start new unnamed sets.

See the last paragraph of 5.5.4 Template Sets

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:10 pm

chrk wrote:Would you like multiple templates instead of just the one default?

Create a folder "Templates" in your user library, save your template sets there. When double clicked or dragged into the Live window these will start new unnamed sets.

That's a great tip illustrating how it pays off to read and recall the manual of Live 9. Cheers :!:
Make some music!

patrick.olson86

Post by patrick.olson86 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:41 am

Stromkraft wrote:
chrk wrote:Would you like multiple templates instead of just the one default?

That's a great tip illustrating how it pays off to read and recall the manual of Live 9. Cheers :!:

Yes, I do have some of these for specific projects. But, I do have a standard default template that works best for most of my needs that I spent a handful of hours working on. But yes, that is a good tip!

patrick.olson86

Post by patrick.olson86 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:46 am

Stromkraft wrote:
It's still there I think. On a Mac look in the "~/Library/Preferences/Ableton" folder for "Live 9.0.2" and Template.als inside that. Look it up on Windows.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much! Just took a quick copy/paste/replace of this Template.als file to get this back. This is great!