Granulator II Pitch recall

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
AnalogSyncer

Granulator II Pitch recall

Post by AnalogSyncer » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:45 am

Bizarre Problem - I open granulator and add audio then make my patch, I use a few other max for live devices like LFO's and other plug ins after it.

I save the patch as a group and then to my library.

When I open the patch in a new session - no problem - all good. But when I save and open the session at a later point all Granulator tracks play back at the wrong pitch. Even though the pitch settings are correct. Is this a 48k issue? We work entirely in 48k (movies).

Has anyone seen that problem and have a solution?

AnalogSyncer

Re: Granulator II Pitch recall

Post by AnalogSyncer » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:53 am

Ok, it is related to 48k - seems that Granulator doesn't like 48k - when I switch a session over to 44k it plays back a different pitch then at 48k - I guess no sample rate conversion happening...shit!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:58 pm

I'm not sure that this is the problem.
I'm also working @ 48Khz. I've encounter this issue a few times, but not not every time at all.
I just had a look at the patch and it looks like Granulator's buffer follows the DAW/ sound card sample rate.

But, maybe you're not totally wrong... This is just a guess, but maybe here's what happens:
- do some shit with Granulator using your external sound card @ 48Khz.
- at some point you re-open the set or preset, but this time you're sitting in your couch with your laptop using the built-in sound card... which often default to 44Khz (Live will follow it).
- you add things to your live set and save it...
- you re-open it later using your 48Khz external sound card...
Ableton Forum Moderator

monolake

Post by monolake » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi folks,
Granulator should be able to deal with samples & Live sets of different sample rate and doing the correct interpolation. I will investigate if there is an obvious oversight in my code, if not it might be an issue only Cycling 74 and / or Ableton can solve.

I added a note to my Granulator page: http://roberthenke.com/technology/granulator.html

Please check again there in a week or so, ideally you'll find a fixed version :-)
Cheers, Robert

out now: Monolake VLSI: https://hardwax.com/10132/monolake/v-l-s-i/

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:18 pm

Thanks Robert :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

monolake

Post by monolake » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:27 pm

I tried numerous times, but could never re-produce the problem.

Live sets with 96k / 48 k / 41k and samples with 44.1k / 48k all played correctly in every possible combination. Can someone provide me with a step by step guide how to create a scenario that is reliably showing the problem? Please contact either Ableton Support or me via the email contact from roberthenke.com.

r.

AnalogSyncer

Post by AnalogSyncer » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:09 am

[jur] wrote:I'm not sure that this is the problem.
I'm also working @ 48Khz. I've encounter this issue a few times, but not not every time at all.
I just had a look at the patch and it looks like Granulator's buffer follows the DAW/ sound card sample rate.

But, maybe you're not totally wrong... This is just a guess, but maybe here's what happens:
- do some shit with Granulator using your external sound card @ 48Khz.
- at some point you re-open the set or preset, but this time you're sitting in your couch with your laptop using the built-in sound card... which often default to 44Khz (Live will follow it).
- you add things to your live set and save it...
- you re-open it later using your 48Khz external sound card...
! I think I solved my problem - will give it a few days to make sure but currently its looking good as I cannot reproduce it anymore.

So I could reproduce the problem on one machine reliably every time. It's a 12-core running 10.10.5 Yosemite using an antelope audio interface which follows whatever sample rate you set in live. The way how I reproduce the problem is by using at least 2 or more tracks with granulators on (with a tuner behind it to check pitch). When I close the session and then re-open (still in 48k) Granulator plays back out of pitch. The other thing is if I open Granulator and change session sample rate then the outputted pitch changes (and it can be seen in the tuner plug in I have right after Granulator) - If I choose "Built in" instead of the audio interface so mac outputs - same thing. If I do the same thing in 44k and save and re-open no pitch problems.

Here is the crazy thing - when I do the same thing on my iMac which has a total stripped down version of live (no third party plug ins at all) and running El Capitain I cannot reproduce the problem just like Robert.

I have tried some other M4L devices like synths and no problem.

But the fact that it worked on one computer made me think...it has to be something on this machine that is different. I searched and compared and investigated until I found one thing that is different. My live folder is still looking at Max 6.1 instead of 7.2.5!!! Smack! They are both on the drive in applications.

I changed that to 7.2.5 and bingo the problem is gone. If anyone has the same problem check and see if you are actually using the right Max app. After installing Max you need to tell live to use it.