Kittens/cats and your studio - how to deal with them.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
tedlogan

Kittens/cats and your studio - how to deal with them.

Post by tedlogan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:33 pm

I have two new kittens. I've always had cats since I was 9. I'm 37 now. But these two are something else - they follow me everywhere, so if I'm in the workroom, they are. Like lightning they jump onto my chair or lap, and then onto the gear (Push2 or APC40) and over them as if they're scaling a small hill - the units are slanted at a 45 degree angle. Then they disappear underneath the two PC monitors above that, and slip underneath the whole setup between the screens and the table, nesting. If not nesting, they're all over the place.

The climbing of the units is of a slight concern. I cannot and will not scold them ever, and they love human company (being half Norwegian Forest critters)...so unsure how to curb their escapades.

Should I use zipties on their limbs when I'm at the workstation, rendering them immobile, or should I lock them out (not desirable at all), or should I give them collars and hang them up by those when working? Or throw them against the wall, rendering them unconscious for a short amount of time?
Last edited by tedlogan on Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S4racen

Re: Kittens/cats and your studio - how to deal with them.

Post by S4racen » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:45 pm

Spray them with water!

Avoid the equipment of course...

Cheers
D

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:26 pm

ah of course! my other half did actually mention that the other day now that you mention it.

Cheers!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:49 pm

Can of compressed air?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:04 pm

I've got one of those lying about yes. But I fear a single squirt will send these tiny fluffies flying. They're very light.

But I guess in a way they have become, on occasion, "dust" in the gear.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:05 pm

Sadly, I think your only option is to wait patiently until they grew up and don't find it that funny anymore to hang around you all the time.
I got one very young cat earlier this year and haven't found any reliable solution to fight this devil.
FFS!! he couldn't stop eating my toes and my cables while I was working, I went completely nut several time I couldn't fucking work, I couldn't do anything... and how such a cute and small living thing could be so painful?!
I've tried water spray, menacing stick, blocking access to my feet/cables, keeping him on my knees while working with my only one lasting hand... nothing helped, those creatures are way more strong and clever than us poor homo sapiens. Figure what? He never goes to my working space if I'm not there :twisted:
The best trick I've found is to throw him paper balls, he runs after like a dog, plays some kind of football for a moment, and then come back... so I take a new piece of paper, make a ball, and throw it again as far as I can.

Good luck
Ableton Forum Moderator

timday

Post by timday » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:59 pm

In my experience the disadvantages of kittens at your workstation are outweighed by OMG KITTENS. Just put up with it is my advice.

Yes I currently have a kitten.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:00 pm

[jur] wrote:Sadly, I think your only option is to wait patiently until they grew up and don't find it that funny anymore to hang around you all the time.
I got one very young cat earlier this year and haven't found any reliable solution to fight this devil.
FFS!! he couldn't stop eating my toes and my cables while I was working, I went completely nut several time I couldn't fucking work, I couldn't do anything... and how such a cute and small living thing could be so painful?!
I've tried water spray, menacing stick, blocking access to my feet/cables, keeping him on my knees while working with my only one lasting hand... nothing helped, those creatures are way more strong and clever than us poor homo sapiens. Figure what? He never goes to my working space if I'm not there :twisted:
The best trick I've found is to throw him paper balls, he runs after like a dog, plays some kind of football for a moment, and then come back... so I take a new piece of paper, make a ball, and throw it again as far as I can.

Good luck
hahaha...yeah they can be a handful, but I adore them. Their new thing is to sit between the gear and the screens and chase whatever is moving on there. I don't really mind overall though. I play with them for at least an hour every night with their numerous toys, all over the flat. As long as they're happy. But I can see the first two encoders of Push2 getting worn, as this is their second major foothold when crossing into Gearshire.
In my experience the disadvantages of kittens at your workstation are outweighed by OMG KITTENS. Just put up with it is my advice.

Yes I currently have a kitten.
Yes it certainly is OMG there are kittens here everyday. I have to resist the urge to squeeze them to death as they're so cute and soft and fluffy.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:56 pm

Btw, you all know why we love cats so much, right?
Ableton Forum Moderator

steko

Post by steko » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:36 pm

[jur] wrote:Btw, you all know why we love cats so much, right?
-> How Your Cat Is Making You Crazy - The Atlantic

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:41 pm

Sure Steko, different views on the various studies, but still I can't stop enjoying the whole idea that maybe...
I just love believing in
Ableton Forum Moderator

steko

Post by steko » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:58 pm

:)
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:35 am

I thought I liked cats because of their independence, their insane agility and acrobatic skill, their pleasing appearance and touch, and their general behaviour and companionship. If all this is only perceived because I'm infected, then I like them even more (or do I?) - not only are they the luckiest creatures on earth - having to do nothing all day, getting massages constantly, and generally being catered to by their human, they are also quite badass hunters and also, it seems, mind controlling sorcerers.

spacecat

Post by spacecat » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:25 pm

suuure... now they are cute little fluffies with a purr that pleases...

but lemme tell you something... you better watch out that they dont get you into trouble as soon as they reach that certain age...

here is what typically happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJWsPnu4WkE

p.s. you are a slave to the cat now. your brains frequencies are being overlayed by the cats mind and adjusted as we speak.
Zipties, although the idea was good, might not work anymore as you are under their spell..

Best thing to do is accept your fate, right here, right meow.

p.s. if they are all over your equipment-> good, it keeps the dust away...

njoy=)