Touchable question- Can you use touchable without wires?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
graphixsounds

Touchable question- Can you use touchable without wires?

Post by graphixsounds » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:06 pm

Hi,

I realize that Touchable works wirelessly if you are connected to a wifi signal, also if you plug in your ipad via the lightning adapter. I was wondering if there is a way to use touchable wirelessly in a situation where there was no free wifi

anyone know of this?

thanks

yur2die4

Re: Touchable question- Can you use touchable without wires?

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:21 pm

You can set up a wireless adhoc connection with the wifi adapter on your computer.

On Apple computers ice heard I've can be relatively simple.

On Windows I've had to do some conman line stuff to get it working, and my network adapter seems to get lazy sometimes so I gave up on it.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:53 pm

you could just bring your own wifi router. there are some relatively small ones (quick google search found this: http://nerdtechy.com/best-portable-mini ... outer-2016, some of those are about the size of a phone).

which brings me to: your phone can probably create a personal hotspot. i haven't done this, but i would think you could start one, connect the two devices to it, and voila, easy ad hoc network.

graphixsounds

Post by graphixsounds » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:20 pm

thanks for the replies. would rather not use a wifi box if I dont have to,

Anyone else have an idea? Wasnt touchable for a long time only accessible through wifi? How did this work in performance situations without wireless internet?

Thanks

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:33 am

graphixsounds wrote:thanks for the replies. would rather not use a wifi box if I dont have to,

Anyone else have an idea? Wasnt touchable for a long time only accessible through wifi? How did this work in performance situations without wireless internet?

Thanks
Yup. Wireless ad-hoc network.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:16 am

if you are planning to use wifi for live performance, then having your own hardware wifi router running your own network is the way to go, as it will be far more robust (if set up properly).

if you are serious about it you would also run a wifi network scan to check the channels of competing networks in the room, which only takes a minute to do.

if you don't need a robust connection, then creating an ad hoc wifi network (if you are on a Mac) works okay too.