Best Ableton Keyboard Controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ablephone

Best Ableton Keyboard Controller

Post by ablephone » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:27 pm

Hey guys new to the forums!

I am new to Ableton and still trying to find my workflow with the DAW. I am looking for a keyboard controller than can really control Ableton parameters. I am trying to mimick the workflow of a keyboard workstation basically.

I need a keyboard that can control:

Tempo
Metronome
Record
Quantize
Create New Track
Browse through Ableton browser and select plug-ins and samples

Basically just a keyboard where I can map tons of Ableton functions and not be using the mouse all the time. thanks!

AAdel

Re: Best Ableton Keyboard Controller

Post by AAdel » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:19 pm

Your best option is Push 2. You have some other options like APC40 series and MIDI tools with Isotonik maps.
Adel Al Agha ???? ?? ???
Singer, Music Producer & Trainer
https://radionama.com

ablephone

Post by ablephone » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:35 am

AAdel wrote:Your best option is Push 2. You have some other options like APC40 series and MIDI tools with Isotonik maps.
Was looking at Push but I'm definitely not a drum machine person. Every single one I had was easily on craigslist after a few weeks.

Just want a keyboard where I could do the majority of the things on there, I probably won't be able to browse through the browser but i could live with that.

InLight-Tone

Post by InLight-Tone » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:56 pm

Your best bet is a Push 2 AND a keyboard. Push's integration with the DAW is the best of any sequencer out there, all the parameters are at your fingertips and are fast is practice and easy to get around, yet I find playing the pads melodically sort of awkward.

I do have quite a bit of experience with playing keys though so I could be biased. Push shines when step sequencing both drums and melodic parts and is a great addition to playing keys live as well.

Your next best bet for a keyboard solution would probably be one of the Launchkey's, yet they don't have all the features you mentioned...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:27 pm

ablephone wrote: I am trying to mimick the workflow of a keyboard workstation basically.

I need a keyboard that can control:

Tempo
Metronome
Record
Quantize
Create New Track
Browse through Ableton browser and select plug-ins and samples
I was hell bent getting one of the (previous)Launchkeys before I got the Push. I still need a keyboard so will see if I can try out the 49. I would want better keys though, so may be a no-no for you as you probably want that to be a strong point.
Make some music!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:58 pm

I have a full size Yamaha digital keyboard with fully weighted keys, it has MIDI out so it provides me with just keys, everything else can be controlled by other smaller controller but nothing gives the same feeling for playing as a properly weighted keyboard...

Cheers
D

AAdel

Post by AAdel » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:57 pm

ablephone wrote:
AAdel wrote:Your best option is Push 2. You have some other options like APC40 series and MIDI tools with Isotonik maps.
Was looking at Push but I'm definitely not a drum machine person. Every single one I had was easily on craigslist after a few weeks.

Just want a keyboard where I could do the majority of the things on there, I probably won't be able to browse through the browser but i could live with that.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen an all in one solution. So if you are a keyboard fan you can get a 49 MIDI keyboard of you can use your old keyboard which has a MIDI or USB-MIDI for playing.

beside that keyboard, a MIDI controller like Novation tools does the magic.
Adel Al Agha ???? ?? ???

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:58 am

I wish Novation would come out with a remote mkiii

There is a lot of functionality in the ii but a lot of room for improvement. Many of the potential improvements are sort of addressed with the launchkey controllers (launchpad type buttons, color LEDs) and Live's updated features for accessibility of the browser etc.

Ndujamz

Post by Ndujamz » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:42 am

I'm not a fan of the dedicated hardware, so no comment on Push or Push 2.
I use M-Audio Axiom 49 key, I find these to be the kick ass along with Ableton. Everything is mapped out automatically.
Live 9 Suite and Reason 9

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:44 am

I use novation impulse 61 with my own enhanced script,
it lacks from your list
Quantize
create new track
browse through plugins

i think in theory tempo could be output to ableton if the keyboard becomes the clock source, but i need to check :)

AAdel

Post by AAdel » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:59 pm

Did you decide and get a controller?
Adel Al Agha ???? ?? ???