Selecting Multiple Clips in Arrange View

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Dr. Fluffenstein

Selecting Multiple Clips in Arrange View

Post by Dr. Fluffenstein » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:49 am

When working with samples in the arrange view it should be possible to select more than one clip at a time. I don't mean drag selecting a block of clips, I'm talking about selecting only a few of them so you can move and edit them all at the same time. For example, selecting every other clip on a track. Some people work using direct audio, so this would make editing things easier.

Maybe using 'ctrl' + 'left click' or something, that command isn't doing anything useful at the moment. It's surprising how something like this got overlooked considering how fundamental it is.

S-N-S

Re: Selecting Multiple Clips in Arrange View

Post by S-N-S » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:28 am

defo need this

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:20 pm

Haha wow, I can't believe I never ran into this limitation. +1

vanKloot

Post by vanKloot » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:12 am

Holy shit. One more here who had never run into this until now. Mind boggling that this standard GUI application feature is missing. +1 please put this in Ableton!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:59 am

vanKloot wrote:Holy shit. One more here who had never run into this until now. Mind boggling that this standard GUI application feature is missing. +1 please put this in Ableton!
So what you're talking about is non-consecutive selections in Arrangement View, right? I'd like better support for non-consecutive selections everywhere.
Make some music!

case_101

Post by case_101 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:00 am

Forum Title says it all, Selecting Multiple Clips in Arrange View.

We know this functionality exists in the Session view.

What could possibly be the hold up?

Happy sixteenth Birthday!

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:56 am

+1
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Holgzn

Post by Holgzn » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm

I definitively would like to have that feature, too. +1

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Considering there are suggestions at Centercode such as multiple select functionality needed in arrange view with not many votes — this one with only 9! — few people seem to miss this.

I think this is such basic behavior it should be implemented ASAP, but I do get that there might be a few programming hurdles to get around, so probably not before 10. I do wonder what has happened with the Live code base during 10 development. Will it be starting from scratch or building on what there is?
Make some music!

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:19 am

In the meantime, I guess the workaround is to create a new track and drag down the clips you want to change together, then select them all in the usual way and do your edits.

alchemorph

Post by alchemorph » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:40 am

Years later this still cannot be done? This is crazy!

ewal

Post by ewal » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:53 am

This sort of feature is what I don't like at all about the Cubase default. If there are three clips, regions, or whatever you want to call them on a track, and you select the left most clip, and then the right most clip, I would expect the middle clip and any empty space in between to be selected as well. This is how it works for Ableton and Pro Tools. In cubase, it does not select the middle clip, it only selects the two clips you clicked on.

But I think you all are looking for it to behave like Cubase if Im reading this correctly. I'm all for that as a feature as long as it is something that is not the default behavior and is instead accomplished with a keystroke modifier!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:45 pm

ewal wrote: I'm all for that as a feature as long as it is something that is not the default behavior and is instead accomplished with a keystroke modifier!
What you (we) want I think is obvious, that Live should work as any other Mac or Windows application when it comes to selections. Typically that would involve modifier keys so you can select contiguous or non-contiguous objects, no matter where they are, of any kind when you choose to.

My pet peeve is that selections can't be saved commonly and if you do a mistake you can't undo a lost selection. That's OS wide but could be prevented if a developer wants to. Some graphics apps allows this.

What the default is would be less important as long as it's what many use.
Make some music!

ewal

Post by ewal » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 pm

Stromkraft wrote: Live should work as any other Mac or Windows application when it comes to selections. Typically that would involve modifier keys so you can select contiguous or non-contiguous objects, no matter where they are, of any kind when you choose to.
Contiguous! Awesome, that's the word I think everyone in this post was trying describe. Nice! Yeah in Pro Tools you can select non contiguous regions by selecting a special grabber tool. I went into OSX finder and played around with holding down command while clicking on files and folders. I didn't realize the flexibility of that in finder!

Yeah it's too bad Live doesn't have a way of letting you do this. Well, hopefully if enough people keep posting in this thread here they will add it eventually.

swingsetcommittee

Post by swingsetcommittee » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Wow, can't believe you still can't do such a basic feature. I can do this with files in my Mac OS Finder for crying out loud! +1