Surface Book & Studio the machines Apple won't release?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.

Game changer?

Yes, this changes everything!
46%
I'm still waiting for Apple's releases, like real soon! (any year now really)
31%
Nah, I'm good. I think.
23%

Total votes: 13

H20nly

Re: Surface Book & Studio the machines Apple won't release?

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:24 pm

steko wrote:5K RETINA
i don't see that as an issue at all. the display on my iMac is so crisp and massive... it's like 22 carat gold vs. 24 carat gold, yeah there's a difference but without putting the two side by side there really isn't.

besides, it provides me zero incentive to upgrade and falls into the "oh that's cool" list of additions that i'll happily take but could just as easily live without.

i don't think it reduces my argument to "blah"... unless you really think 5K is worth paying $600+ more for while also losing multiple port types and an optical drive in the process.
then again, maybe it makes my argument... since there is only a small niche of people who think that kind of trade off is worth while.

steko

Post by steko » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:29 pm

5K Retina is huge. Get over the "blah", brah! :lol: 8) :wink:
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:36 pm

:lol:

ok. but still... no. :P

steko

Post by steko » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:38 pm

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:14 am

H20nly wrote: losing multiple port types and an optical drive in the process.
Optical drive? What's that again?

Oh, you mean the thing that used to be where my extra drive sits?
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:17 am

beats me wrote: A 5-year-old could come up with "Put a touch screen on any computer."
Hey, I was way older when I thought this. Wait a minute…
Make some music!

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:22 pm

H20nly wrote:
beats me wrote: my son used it to trace out all the Spanish speaking countries in the world for a map he had to make for his Spanish class.
Here's Traktor on the iPad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFPTyZoxO3Q

That was 3 years ago. Microsoft Surface was first released 4 years ago. What have music software developers other than Bitwig done to optimize their software for Windows touch screens? Nothing.

Apple basically thought of and patented the Surface Studio 6 years ago

http://bgr.com/2016/10/28/surface-studi ... touch-ios/

What has changed since that time with development to make it more appealing and useable now? Not much. Intelligent styluses!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:02 pm

I'm platform agnostic - Linux, Windows, Android, iOS . I use all of them. All of them are good technology, and all are flawed in some way. Blind allegiance is amazing to me.

This SurfaceStudio - It's a Niche product. Based on what I've seen of the SurfacePro /SurfaceBook line and Windows10 the product should be well engineered. In this case it's an expensive product with high specs aimed at the creative market. Whether it finds a foothold ... we will have to see.
If Apple had announced this SurfaceStudio then Apple fans would be praising it to the skies as a return to form, etc. But Apple have seemingly abandoned the creative market.

Apple's core brand value is no longer creating media but moving purchased media around the Apple ecosystem. Apple is a consumer ecosystem.

Since Microsoft's change of management away from marketing led to product led they really seem to be improving. It's good for everyone.
But I honestly think that identifying yourself so closely with a corporation is worse than getting a OneDirection tattoo. I doubt any CEO is so blindly loyal to the brand.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:51 pm

Angstrom wrote:I'm platform agnostic - Linux, Windows, Android, iOS . I use all of them. All of them are good technology, and all are flawed in some way.
Yup.
Angstrom wrote: Apple's core brand value is no longer creating media but moving purchased media around the Apple ecosystem. Apple is a consumer ecosystem.
The evidence would seem to point this way. I'm still suspicious to this somewhat superficial observation. Apple and its customers need content creators or there'll be no content to sell, share and otherwise put into the networks. Apple are not stupid.

I think there is more, much more, to this than what you suggest.
Angstrom wrote: Since Microsoft's change of management away from marketing led to product led they really seem to be improving. It's good for everyone.
I certainly hope so.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:54 pm

beats me wrote: What has changed since that time with development to make it more appealing and useable now? Not much. Intelligent styluses!
Well, Microsoft would like to think they have changed. They deserve to be taken seriously. AFAIK their phone venture is still in dismal state, but maybe they're counting on this.
Make some music!

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:25 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
beats me wrote: What has changed since that time with development to make it more appealing and useable now? Not much. Intelligent styluses!
Well, Microsoft would like to think they have changed. They deserve to be taken seriously. AFAIK their phone venture is still in dismal state, but maybe they're counting on this.

I’m still hearing about the lack of touch screen software optimized for Windows computers. I highly doubt a $3,000 base model desktop is going to make developers go “Oh shit! We better get cracking now!” In fact I think that’s another problem with Microsoft’s game plan. AFAIK they keep releasing new computers that are more expensive and therefore less appealing to a broad user base. Less users isn’t usually a motivator for developers. Refer to the bulk of Apple’s history until Jobs returned.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:50 pm

beats me wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:

I’m still hearing about the lack of touch screen software optimized for Windows computers. I highly doubt a $3,000 base model desktop is going to make developers go “Oh shit! We better get cracking now!” In fact I think that’s another problem with Microsoft’s game plan. AFAIK they keep releasing new computers that are more expensive and therefore less appealing to a broad user base. Less users isn’t usually a motivator for developers. Refer to the bulk of Apple’s history until Jobs returned.
Well, you're forgetting that Microsoft is a software company. I think they're "pulling an Apple" here and pairing that with their own expertise. They are likely willing to author some great software, or at least what's supposed to be great.

What Microsoft has been lacking in the past have been designers in the centre of development. That could bite them very badly unless they acknowledge this and address it their way for their customers. I'm not suggesting they are primarily trying to get customers from Apple, just that they are improving.
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:10 am

I dont think they even intend to sell a bunch of these, they are just showing their growing dominance over the sector and signalling intent.
The specs are actually pretty weird, older graphics cards, older CPUs, yet a high price. I think it's just smoke signals saying " we make creative stuff now".

I've been amazed how many die hard mac based video-editors have moved to PC recently. I mean, over the last 4 years a trickle has become a stream and then a raging river. It truly amazes me that guys who used to bore me senseless about their latest apple doohickey are now working on PCs.
Something is changing in that field.

In the audio world people are still locked in to Protools on macs, but in A/V things seem ... different

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:51 pm

beats me wrote:
H20nly wrote:
beats me wrote: my son used it to trace out all the Spanish speaking countries in the world for a map he had to make for his Spanish class.
Here's Traktor on the iPad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFPTyZoxO3Q

That was 3 years ago. Microsoft Surface was first released 4 years ago. What have music software developers other than Bitwig done to optimize their software for Windows touch screens? Nothing.

Apple basically thought of and patented the Surface Studio 6 years ago

http://bgr.com/2016/10/28/surface-studi ... touch-ios/

What has changed since that time with development to make it more appealing and useable now? Not much. Intelligent styluses!
Fail.

my ASUS has a 15.4" screen.

<CalvinPissingOniPad.jpg/> <CalvinPissingOnSurface.gif/>

bigger countries = bigger map

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:11 am

Angstrom wrote:I've been amazed how many die hard mac based video-editors have moved to PC recently. I mean, over the last 4 years a trickle has become a stream and then a raging river. It truly amazes me that guys who used to bore me senseless about their latest apple doohickey are now working on PCs.
Something is changing in that field.

In the audio world people are still locked in to Protools on macs, but in A/V things seem ... different
i think a lot of that is because raw computing power makes the biggest difference with video work, and Apple just does not even begin to compete on the price/power spectrum, nor with machines that can easily be upgraded.

and being able to knock up your own video rendering farm relatively cheaply is also a pretty big drawcard.