Replace Push 2 knobs with something better?

Discuss Push with other users.
muthafunka

Replace Push 2 knobs with something better?

Post by muthafunka » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:14 pm

For me Push 2 knobs are OK for dialling in settings, adjusting values etc but when it comes to useful knobs for jamming and freaking out parameters live the shape and that flat/square profile top shape just isn't made for speedy control and grip - only a thin line of my finger is actaully in contact with the knob. Anyone else find the same? I wsih there was some way to swap them out ? la Chroma Caps etc.

muthafunka

Re: Replace Push 2 knobs with something better?

Post by muthafunka » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:21 pm

bump.....

No-one feeling this, you all love those pointy square profile knobs?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:33 am

I have chroma caps on a lot of my gear, but for Push I definitely prefer the stock knobs myself. Plus they are touch sensitive and I think you lose that with chroma caps. Can't remember for sure if this was true on Push.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:17 am

ah, of course the touch sensitivity, would suck to lose that. Hmmm, def think they could be improved to suit... actual human fingers ;)

nutterwithbutter

Post by nutterwithbutter » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:03 pm

A push mixer style add-on (8 short mechanical or touch sliders and a OLED scribble strip which fit underneath /above push and aligns the 8x8 pad grid?)

i.e. a better Maschine Jam!

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:44 am

For me, the problem with the Push 2 knobs is making small adjustments... ie. Transpose by +1 semitone, twist a little bit: nothing, twist a little bit more: nothing, all of a sudden: +3 semitones... It's like the only way to get one increment is to twist really fast, and then suddenly stop, but even this is not accurate at all...

Would prefer them all to be indented like the tempo knob...

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:48 pm

cmprvndncr wrote:For me, the problem with the Push 2 knobs is making small adjustments... ie. Transpose by +1 semitone, twist a little bit: nothing, twist a little bit more: nothing, all of a sudden: +3 semitones... It's like the only way to get one increment is to twist really fast, and then suddenly stop, but even this is not accurate at all...

Indented for parameter adjustment is horrible IMO, not smooth.

Have you tried holding SHIFT on Push while turning a knob? That should adjust with finer resolution.

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:07 am

jestermgee wrote:
cmprvndncr wrote:For me, the problem with the Push 2 knobs is making small adjustments... ie. Transpose by +1 semitone, twist a little bit: nothing, twist a little bit more: nothing, all of a sudden: +3 semitones... It's like the only way to get one increment is to twist really fast, and then suddenly stop, but even this is not accurate at all...

Indented for parameter adjustment is horrible IMO, not smooth.

Have you tried holding SHIFT on Push while turning a knob? That should adjust with finer resolution.
Shift gives me the same problem.

In the case of holding shift, I get smaller increments that I can't control. Either over shoots or doesn't change at all. So it feels very unintuitive full stop

To me it seems to be a calibration issue, because the knobs feel fine for macro controls, and the like where you don't need fine control. I think they should behave differently for setting this like to transpose where you often will want a very specific and small amount of change ie. one semitone.

And you are probably right that indented knobs and ideal, but if they would fix this issue which I think they would then I would prefer them. More as a substitute than a preference

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:15 am

Yeah im not getting the issue you are talking about.

I get smooth increments on anything and can easily adjust by single points holding Shift.

Wonder if you have an issue with the USB data or something?

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:25 am

Hmmm. Yeah seems likely, huh.

All my other midi functionality seems fine though. Running a couple of other controllers in user mode...

I like the weighty physical feel of the knobs. Would be great if they responded in a more usable way. Not really sure how to troubleshoot the knobs thing. All I can think of is to unplug all other USB and test the knobs. If they are better, then what? Haha.

serhatsahin

Post by serhatsahin » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:47 pm

This looks like an old topic, but I think this video will provide useful information for people who are struggling with Push 2 knob calibration and sensitivity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vMo-junXy8

Hope it helps...

MallorcaMalle

Post by MallorcaMalle » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:00 pm

Next Push could use the encoders and buttons of the NI Maschine MK3... and everything's fine...