Recs to augment Push 2 w/ faders controller for DJing

Discuss Push with other users.
Helmsmith

Recs to augment Push 2 w/ faders controller for DJing

Post by Helmsmith » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:30 pm

Quick question!

I'd love to use my Push 2 for DJing, but the primary thing I feel is lacking, of course, are sliders/faders.

Anyone have a experience with—or just a strong recommendation for—a small controller to accompany the Push that would alleviate my fader need?

Thanks for any feedback.

fabosx

Re: Recs to augment Push 2 w/ faders controller for DJing

Post by fabosx » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:17 pm

I personally use the Native Instruments Traktor Control F1 to control some of my livesets parameters and volumes.
It was even more a perfect match with Push when the buttons were lighting up for the session view (a custom script was available for that, but no more functional).

If you want more like a DJ mixer, the M-Audio X-Session Pro was a good match (but with a little bit a cheap feeling compared to the Push).

An other one (which I don't own) could be the Vestax VCM-600: looked very impressive, but it was out a long time ago.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:26 pm

Perhaps a Novation LaunchControl XL. I'm not sure but it may be possible to link it up to follow Push's border (might require 3rd party software).

Either way, it is a pretty fundamental utility and gets the job done.

One I'm curious about is the Maschine Jam. It uses touchstrip faders, but you get full Maschine software (including some additional bundled NI products) and NI is pretty committed to having unique and meaningful control of Live through their controller when it is in the midi controller mode.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:44 pm

LaunchControl XL for the Win, or a BCR if you can get one secondhand...

LaunchSync Series brings the two together with the Push... Needs MaxforLive...

http://isotonikstudios.com/isotonik/launchsync-series/

Cheers
D

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Helmsmith wrote:Quick question!

I'd love to use my Push 2 for DJing, but the primary thing I feel is lacking, of course, are sliders/faders.

Anyone have a experience with—or just a strong recommendation for—a small controller to accompany the Push that would alleviate my fader need?
Personally I use the Push (1) for controlling Traktor, not Live. For Studio work with Live I use the Alphatrack, which is old but works.

For DJing with Live I'd probably get something like the Native Instruments F1, Kontrol D2, Kontrol X1 or the Kontrol Z1. These need adjusted scripts for controlling Live of course, but it's certainly possible and I think there exist some open source projects for at least some of these. If this is a no go for some reason a more simple yet easily assignable tool might be needed.
Make some music!

markwphoto

Post by markwphoto » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:42 pm

I agree that using Push 2 with a LaunchControl/LaunchControl XL would be extremely helpful for a DJ setup. You may also want to checkout: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... crossfader. This will allow you to use the touchstrip as a crossfader.

braduro

Post by braduro » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:10 pm

I'd reconsider the encoders on the PUSH 2. Unless you're talking about mixing externally, which does have its merits in a dj setting, you'd be hard pressed to find faders that have a meter indicator on display as well as RMS. Plus, many new and classic DJ mixers have been rotary. You're still short a crossfader, so if you are still thinking to parse out the mixing to a different device, your options immediately drop if you consider those with a x-fader. Vestax VCM-600, Faderfox FT3, UC4 (and not the 44), APC...

BombayElectric

Post by BombayElectric » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:44 pm

Touchosc if you can sacrifice the feel of real faders.