Why does Ableton keep adding new features that no one wants?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
studiojohnny

Re: Why does Ableton keep adding new features that no one wants?

Post by studiojohnny » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:22 pm

Look, even Deadmau5 agrees with me. And tweeted it to all 3.6 million of his followers.

So. Can we please get some relevant updates to Live??

John

tone61

Post by tone61 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:38 pm

Naming inputs and outputs would be very useful.
Bitwig has had this since version 1.0.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:24 pm

:lol:
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:30 pm

studiojohnny wrote:Look, even Deadmau5 agrees with me. And tweeted it to all 3.6 million of his followers.

So? The real question is whether he suggested it to Ableton and made a suggestion for people to vote on.

The widespread inclination to whine instead of to act in these forums is depressing. Stop being crybabies and sharpen your arguments, put forward ideas and indicate kindly yet clearly what you need and why to Ableton. Because even if you're in the echo chamber of your choosing now you're still in a tiny minority of Ableton users. If a majority wants Push to the be in the centre of development, how are you going to counter that? Not that Push users wouldn't benefit from a better Live. They would.

Granted, discussions like this one can be beneficial if ideas can be collected, refined and communicated. Quite commonly, whining — or something akin to that — just goes on and on and on here. Sometimes understandably so, because some missing aspects of what really should be implemented already is indeed missing.

I do understand the need, But it doesn't lead to much, except handling personal disgruntlement, allowing for venting and feeling unfairly treated. Are you going to settle for that? That's your campaign strategy for the features you believe in?

Naming inputs and outputs would be nice, but do I need it to make music? Nope.

Here's a few suggestions I found fitting this request:
Put your vote where your wishes are.
Make some music!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:27 am

• SUG-????: Not allow Ableton to add emotes touch bar like Apple did to their new Macbook Pro.

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:42 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
studiojohnny wrote:Look, even Deadmau5 agrees with me. And tweeted it to all 3.6 million of his followers.

So? The real question is whether he suggested it to Ableton and made a suggestion for people to vote on.

The widespread inclination to whine instead of to act in these forums is depressing. Stop being crybabies and sharpen your arguments, put forward ideas and indicate kindly yet clearly what you need and why to Ableton. Because even if you're in the echo chamber of your choosing now you're still in a tiny minority of Ableton users. If a majority wants Push to the be in the centre of development, how are you going to counter that? Not that Push users wouldn't benefit from a better Live. They would.

Granted, discussions like this one can be beneficial if ideas can be collected, refined and communicated. Quite commonly, whining — or something akin to that — just goes on and on and on here. Sometimes understandably so, because some missing aspects of what really should be implemented already is indeed missing.

I do understand the need, But it doesn't lead to much, except handling personal disgruntlement, allowing for venting and feeling unfairly treated. Are you going to settle for that? That's your campaign strategy for the features you believe in?

Wow. Very well put. That original tweet is not surprising though. Some people are known for being negative and whiny. I guess if I had 50,000 outputs I'd be a little confused too. The "pro" musicians who complain all the time are probably the ones who got Live for free too just because they are who they are. Meanwhile, I paid full price for my copy and am happy as hell that I get to make music on a computer. The entitled generation- gotta love it.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:31 pm

pencilrocket wrote:
  • SUG-????: Not allow Ableton to add emotes touch bar like Apple did to their new Macbook Pro.
It would get my vote.
Make some music!

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:33 am

Stromkraft wrote:

come on man... this voting stuff seems more like an illusion of democracy. when it gets to the point of seeing petitions appear on "change.org" (lol...) on issues that have been voted on for years and that remain completely
disregarded by the company, something is wrong.

https://www.change.org/p/ableton-ag-get ... leton-live

studiojohnny

Post by studiojohnny » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:31 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
So?
Uh, so it helps validate our concerns when one of the biggest names in the industry publicly agrees. This is not some tiny, insignificant minority.

All we're asking for is relevant updates here.

Ableton is like a car company that keeps announcing a redesigned cup holder when the car has engine problems. Enough with the damn cup holders already.

Also, one of the primary functions of forums since like the Roman empire has been to have a place to debate and exchange ideas, which is exactly what we're doing here, so I'm not sure why you're (rather ironically) complaining about people airing their complaints. This is an Ableton forum, is it not?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:56 pm

studiojohnny wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
So?
Uh, so it helps validate our concerns when one of the biggest names in the industry publicly agrees. This is not some tiny, insignificant minority.

All we're asking for is relevant updates here.

Ableton is like a car company that keeps announcing a redesigned cup holder when the car has engine problems. Enough with the damn cup holders already.

Also, one of the primary functions of forums since like the Roman empire has been to have a place to debate and exchange ideas, which is exactly what we're doing here, so I'm not sure why you're (rather ironically) complaining about people airing their complaints. This is an Ableton forum, is it not?
yes, I found this argument to be very weak so I told you. I do think you have other great arguments though.

I think maybe you should be satisfied with bringing your personal healthy perspective to this discussion. It's not like anyone else would hate to have named outputs for example. But what any specific ******** artist thinks about this is not as interesting unless they post it to here.

No, I wouldn't feel this way if all you've done was supply a link. There's doing and then there's overdoing it. You can obviously post what you want and I can equally obviously post something that includes an opinion on your post.

In this case we're in agreement on the specific named outputs request. It's a good idea.
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Is there a reason why he works specifically in Live? He's sort of using it in a way that many users might not necessarily be using it. Not that it's not a legitimate problem, but I'd imagine it to be low on the list when most people using Live have 16 or less audio channels going and oust users probably don't require use of all routings at all times.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:40 pm

well if Deadlouse most important issue is "name outputs" I don't really know what to say other than "idgaf"

he's a very talented musician though - that can't be denied

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 pm

actually re-reading that screencrab from twitter, although "nobody gives a fuck about push" not that many people give a fuck about him now either

push is an unpiratable piece of hardware that allows people like Ableton to stay in business while developing nice software

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:00 am

ian_halsall wrote:well if Deadlouse most important issue is "name outputs" I don't really know what to say other than "idgaf"

he's a very talented musician though - that can't be denied
Also, this thread was all from last year.

Also, Live 10 now allows Inputs/outputs to be labelled just as requested there.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:27 pm

I'm gonna route all my feature requests via his twitter. That mouse gets things done!

Well done mouse.