New Macbook Pro

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: New Macbook Pro

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:15 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...í reckon the price cut will only be relative, meaning they will raise the size of the standard ssd / upgrades will be cheaper...on the other hand a possible ram upgrade would raise the price dramatically...however...i was waiting for new macbook pros and now i'm happy with the new machines!
The Apple way. Lower the price on the base model but spec it so its unappealing to anybody who does more than just managing their social media empire.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:34 pm

...what i meant was that "they" (it's not only apple...) won't do price cuts when technology gets cheaper but raise the specs...e.g. including a 500gb ssd instead of a 256gb...
yes, the new macbook pros aren't a bargain but i also spent 700$ for a midi controller with display...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:34 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...what i meant was that "they" (it's not only apple...) won't do price cuts when technology gets cheaper but raise the specs...e.g. including a 500gb ssd instead of a 256gb...
yes, the new macbook pros aren't a bargain but i also spent 700$ for a midi controller with display...
Awhile back Apple lowered the price of the base Mac Mini by $100 but lowered the specs (or kept it at what should be considered bare minimum by already dated standards) and then stick it to you for upgrades to a more future proof configuration. At a minimum you’ll be paying $200 more than that base model. So you are right back where you started before that price drop illusion.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:38 am

Does anyone actually have a MBP with TB running Ableton?

[art]

Post by [art] » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:46 am

Would be interesting to see if the Abe's did anything with it, no?

What would be a good use of touch bar?

Clip Launcher?

Clip view?

Arrangement view?

spacecat

Post by spacecat » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:33 am

[art] wrote:Would be interesting to see if the Abe's did anything with it, no?

What would be a good use of touch bar?

Clip Launcher?

Clip view?

Arrangement view?
How about something really crazy yet useful?

Idk.. Something like an "esc" key and "Fn" buttons... I know what you are thinking.."omg, thats so wild and out there- imagine all the cool things we could map to them...!"

Yep... I agree... It could be real innovation... ! This new invention could be called the "iESC" key and "iFN" buttons...
There could also be some sort of haptic feedback coming from them so it feels like you are pushing real buttons:)

Now wouldnt that be cool?:)

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:47 pm

^^

It's... it's like Steve is right here in the room with us!!!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:18 pm

I'd imagine the closest they could get for something useful is a couple faders or jog dials.

But even for that, it's a curiosity what they'd choose to assign to those. It'd just be a convenience instead of requiring moving the pointer to a location.

They should have put the strip closer to the touchpad so people wouldn't need to hold their hands out :P. It's like 1 inch away from a screen which ideally would have had equal functionality . .

I don't know. We'll see how that plays out I guess.

LeftHandSuzukiMethod

Post by LeftHandSuzukiMethod » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:12 am

Walked into an Apple Store yesterday and picked up a shiny new 15 inch MBP w/ the new TouchBar. I've been putting it through its paces and must say, it's purty nice! Ableton runs flawlessly (as expected). Can't wait to see what Ableton puts together for the new TouchBar. GarageBand is already running full TouchBar commands and they actually do make certain aspects of my workflow easier.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:28 am

LeftHandSuzukiMethod wrote:Walked into an Apple Store yesterday and picked up a shiny new 15 inch MBP w/ the new TouchBar. I've been putting it through its paces and must say, it's purty nice! Ableton runs flawlessly (as expected). Can't wait to see what Ableton puts together for the new TouchBar. GarageBand is already running full TouchBar commands and they actually do make certain aspects of my workflow easier.
Pictures of touchbar running in Live, please!
(Yes I know it'll just be the f keys, but it would be great if you could post up a pic) :D

As a thought, it would be great if Live could eventually display the names of the first 8 tracks on the touchbar - the ones that take f1 - f8 as track mutes. They could take on the track colours, and have a lit/unlit change of brightness to show whether the track is activated, or not.
Last edited by Pitch Black on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:40 am

LeftHandSuzukiMethod wrote:Walked into an Apple Store yesterday and picked up a shiny new 15 inch MBP w/ the new TouchBar. I've been putting it through its paces and must say, it's purty nice! Ableton runs flawlessly (as expected). Can't wait to see what Ableton puts together for the new TouchBar. GarageBand is already running full TouchBar commands and they actually do make certain aspects of my workflow easier.
Nice. Could you do some tests with Live and the Intel Power Gadget (shows cpu temps)?

If u open a Live project with a bunch of tracks and then in session view two finger drag around repeatedly so the tracks move all over the place. This forces the UI to redraw constantly.

The same test on my late 2013 rmbp 15 will push temps from 60C to over 70C.

Im wondering if the iGPU or dGPU is being taxed and if this new mpb can better handle it.

Edit. Btw, enjoy your new machine :)

rossteaux

Post by rossteaux » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:30 am

I just got mine! 15in TouchBar. All specs at max. I definitely see a lot of potential uses for the Touch Bar in live. Very smooth, accurate response. I'm not sure how fast they will add the functionality, but I would definitely be willing to beta test it.... :wink:

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:26 am

...do you have a push 2?...i'd like to know if you should connect it via the usb-c to usb A (or a hub) adapter or if it's possible to connect it directly via an usb-c to usb B adapter like this: http://www.belkin.com/de/F2CU035-Belkin/p/P-F2CU035/ ...?
...can't wait to get my new 15''!...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:38 am

scheffkoch wrote:...do you have a push 2?...i'd like to know if you should connect it via the usb-c to usb A (or a hub) adapter or if it's possible to connect it directly via an usb-c to usb B adapter like this: http://www.belkin.com/de/F2CU035-Belkin/p/P-F2CU035/ ...?
...can't wait to get my new 15''!...
Would also like to hear about this. When you do get your MBPtb could you do some tests with the Intel Power Gadget or MacFanControl to show the temps.

I would be interested to see how things look when running big Live projects and also with Push 2 plugged in. I notice a big jump in CPU/temps when using Push 2 :(

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articl ... -gadget-20
http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

I am so torn between the 2016 and the 2015 MBP 15...

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:14 am

...right now i have a late 2011 2.5 ghz and to avoid throttling due to heat i use gfxcardstatus to switch off the dgpu...that helpled a lot!...ableton's cpu meter is now more on a constant level...regarding heat i would definetily prefer the 2016 macbook pro since the whole cpu and dgpu architecture is optimized in that terrain...(i didn't upgrade the gpu to the amd460 to save power/reduce heating though)...from the pure specs the late 2016 has only marginal improvements but all internals need much less power and therefore should stay cooler...i don't know when i'll get mine because i cancelled my apple order to order from a retailer (= 200 euros less) but i'll report!...