Saving CPU in Windows With Batch Files

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
saxon2000

Saving CPU in Windows With Batch Files

Post by saxon2000 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:32 am

So, tip not for advanced users, but I am using an aging laptop with Win XP and Live 8 is maxing out the CPU.

So, Windows runs a lot of services that you really don't need when you are making tracks with Ableton. I made a simple 'stop' batch file to stop unneeded services, and then a 'start' batch file to open the services once I am done with my Ableton session.

It is very easy to do and saves a bunch of computing power with a click of the mouse.

You can find out how to make a batch file by search, or message me. Probably quicker for you to search as I am a busy man.

You can also close apps in the same way.

The main commands are NETSTOP, NETSTART ans TASKKILL.

Hope someone, somehwere finds this useful!

Adam Mantium

Re: Saving CPU in Windows With Batch Files

Post by Adam Mantium » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:57 pm

saxon2000 wrote:So, tip not for advanced users, but I am using an aging laptop with Win XP and Live 8 is maxing out the CPU.

So, Windows runs a lot of services that you really don't need when you are making tracks with Ableton. I made a simple 'stop' batch file to stop unneeded services, and then a 'start' batch file to open the services once I am done with my Ableton session.

It is very easy to do and saves a bunch of computing power with a click of the mouse.

You can find out how to make a batch file by search, or message me. Probably quicker for you to search as I am a busy man.

You can also close apps in the same way.

The main commands are NETSTOP, NETSTART ans TASKKILL.

Hope someone, somehwere finds this useful!
I recently wrote my first successful batch file and am looking for help doing exactly what you are talking about here. So what I have so far is a user account that opens into ableton instead of windows explorer, opens up my midi utilities, changes my power profile, and logs out when I close ableton. What I want to add is a set of stop service commands when I log in, and start service commands when I log out. What I am looking for is a comprehensive list of all the services I do not need.

I am running windows 10 core I7 2.6 ghz quad core 8 gigs ram. I need ableton, usb ports, touch screen drivers, midi, asio, and wifi to run (lemur for android) other than that pretty much everything can go. Do you know of anywhere I can find such a list of services? I am not really a programmer. I have tried to figure it out, but haven't had much luck.

Thanks.