Midi clock start string?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Piplodocus

Midi clock start string?

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:04 am

I don't suppose any of you midi geniuses can tell me what the hex string is for a MIDII clock start message? Or how to work it out? The only info I've found seems a little unfathomable.

Thanks!

metastatik

Re: Midi clock start string?

Post by metastatik » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:14 am

This wiki page covers it as well as the other related messages.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:14 pm

Cheers. So that says it's 0xFA. What's the beginning part of the string though? I've got a midi controller that sends out "sysex strings". Technically midi clock isn't part of the 'sysex' bit of midi but I'm suspicious it'll basically send anything midi if I have the full hex code for the command.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:52 pm

You're asking what the '0x' is? If so, it's a prefix used to denote hexadecimal. If your controller purely works with hexadecimal, you wouldn't need that. You'd just need to enter the FA.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:37 pm

metastatik wrote:You're asking what the '0x' is? If so, it's a prefix used to denote hexadecimal. If your controller purely works with hexadecimal, you wouldn't need that. You'd just need to enter the FA.
I know the 0x bit. I just expected more in front to say it's a clock type command or whatever. Maybe F is clock things and A a start message and there's 15 other types of messages can be defined in the first byte using anything other than A, so I'm overthinking it and it's just a stupidly simple message. 8O