Producers, Name your Problems with making beats

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
TheBrothers

Producers, Name your Problems with making beats

Post by TheBrothers » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:17 am

Hey Producers,

I am kick starting my own venture in designing ways to help you improve the effectiveness of your beats. It would be tremendously helpful for me if you all listed the obstacles you face when making rhythms. Which parts do you remember struggling with the most?

I'd love to hear from you, even if its just one word.

Thanks,
Jonathan

turbomartin

Re: Producers, Name your Problems with making beats

Post by turbomartin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:23 am

mike monday youtube

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:02 am

drunk post redacted
Last edited by Angstrom on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:27 am

please ignore the uncouth naysayers above.

here is my biggest problem: for years i have been trying to extract the dope from my beats. sadly my efforts thus far have been fruitless. if you could kindly pass on a solution for this you would earn my undying gratitude...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:00 am

TheBrothers wrote:I am kick starting my own venture in designing ways to help you improve the effectiveness of your beats. It would be tremendously helpful for me if you all listed the obstacles you face when making rhythms. Which parts do you remember struggling with the most?
Mostly coordination between the hands and feet.

That and not having enough time to practice drums. Can you help with that?
Unsound Designer

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:35 pm

Angstrom wrote:Holy shit I'm weary of people who make "beats"

How about making some actual fucking music you sample pack gobbling selfcongratulatory narcissists

Producers my arse.
Agreed - although I read it as "Sample Pack Goblin" which made me laugh
stringtapper wrote:
TheBrothers wrote:I am kick starting my own venture in designing ways to help you improve the effectiveness of your beats. It would be tremendously helpful for me if you all listed the obstacles you face when making rhythms. Which parts do you remember struggling with the most?
Mostly coordination between the hands and feet.

That and not having enough time to practice drums. Can you help with that?
And this.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:03 am

I love cooking beets but my biggest problem stems from I have no idea how hot you set the oven for as a starter, it either comes out half cooked or burnt and I have tried everything... More heat, yelling at it, 50% off black friday mega sales. I even mixed up some fresh samples, placed it in a rack in my push and threw that in the mix with the hopes i'd get some smokin flavour in my jam. The fire department was kind enough to let me sample their sirens before they left which sounded pretty fly but probably wasn't worth the $1950.00 for the cost of the oven and the Push and now I am forced to listen to everything raw which i thought would sound fresh but sound flat and moldy so I probably have something wrong with my fridge now too. Hopefully you have some kind of monthly website access fee where I can learn refrigeration repair to help get back in the beet cooking zone. Will be living off takeout beets for a while which I really don't mind coz I get them at in bulk for next to nothing anyway. Can't even tell the difference between the processed and fresh variety anyway so wondering why all the bother.

Good luck with your cooking blog.

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:07 am

Angstrom wrote:Holy shit I'm weary of people who make "beats"

How about making some actual fucking music you sample pack gobbling selfcongratulatory narcissists

Producers my arse.
Everyone is entitled to use Live how they want and discuss it here. If it's not your thing, refrain from posting instead of calling people names and putting them down. You've been here long enough to know that's not tolerated here.
Ableton Forum Administrator

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:17 pm

I'm super happy with Live for making beats, and I never really have any problems to be honest. I think I would enjoy using it even more with this implemented:

1. Some kind of flam/roll/velocity/effect functionality for individual piano roll steps. Basically, Effectrix for drum rack MIDI notes. (http://www.sugar-bytes.com/content/prod ... hp?lang=en)

2. Drum racks are great, but it would be nice to have a way to edit individual samples' pitches by moving its notes up/down in the piano roll. I guess that would require two views in the piano roll, "drum rack mode" and "piano mode".

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:48 pm

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:2. Drum racks are great, but it would be nice to have a way to edit individual samples' pitches by moving its notes up/down in the piano roll. I guess that would require two views in the piano roll, "drum rack mode" and "piano mode".

Ableton sort of have this with the envelope edit mode, albeit it is not as instant gratification as FL Studio. You just create clip envelopes for the Transpose.

Another way is copying Simpler device to an individual Midi Track and then editing the transpose on that track.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Yeah, I do transpose automation sometimes. Other times I'll just copy the sample a few times and transpose each new copy.
Individual tracks could work, but then I wouldn't see the other samples' MIDI, and I'd have to arm tracks constantly to play the samples from my keyboard.

With that said, this scenario usually only comes up like once a year, and it's never a big hassle. In fact, I made some sick beats right after my previous post. 8)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:03 am

TheBrothers wrote:Hey Producers,

I am kick starting my own venture in designing ways to help you improve the effectiveness of your beats. It would be tremendously helpful for me if you all listed the obstacles you face when making rhythms. Which parts do you remember struggling with the most?

I'd love to hear from you, even if its just one word.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Hey no offense, I get that you want to help, but if you don't have a clue as to what the problem would be for people making music, then why do you think people should invest money (kickstarter) and time (coming up for reasons for you) into your possibly profitable venture getting people who want to make music but have no creative ideas of their own some quick and dirty tricks to make essentially throw away music? I can't think of a single person who didn't invest time into learning an instrument (guitar, drum machine, flute, computer etc.) that went out and learned to make beats by tricks who was any good at all.

I would take this even further and say that the upside to programs like Live, Garage Band etc. is also the downside, anyone can make music.
I don't think you should make music because it sounds like a cool idea, and that seems to be the crowd you want to soak for a few bills.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:09 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Hey no offense, I get that you want to help, but if you don't have a clue as to what the problem would be for people making music, then why do you think people should invest money (kickstarter) and time (coming up for reasons for you) into your possibly profitable venture getting people who want to make music but have no creative ideas of their own some quick and dirty tricks to make essentially throw away music? I can't think of a single person who didn't invest time into learning an instrument (guitar, drum machine, flute, computer etc.) that went out and learned to make beats by tricks who was any good at all.

I would take this even further and say that the upside to programs like Live, Garage Band etc. is also the downside, anyone can make music.
I don't think you should make music because it sounds like a cool idea, and that seems to be the crowd you want to soak for a few bills.
I don't understand what you mean when you say people "shouldn't make music because it sounds like a cool idea". What other reasons are there?
When I started out, I just wanted to record chipmunk voices over a few loops with my friends. People just want to make some sound.

Regarding "quick and dirty tricks" and "throw away music", I know about tons of successful and talented people who started out with Dance eJay, Music 2000, or cheesy Vengeance loops.
I also know of way more people who just tried those for a laugh, and then did other things, or people who still suck - and that's all perfectly fine.
Most kids are shit at making stuff, but we still recognise the value in giving them crayons, play-doh and Legos. Adults also enjoy these things, even if it's not "cool".

Dance eJay (or loops and presets) is often considered "cheating", but I think it serves as a great tool for learning and exploring - one that personally really gave me a significant sense of mastery and made me understand that music can be fun, that I could create something. Music wasn't this huge overwhelming theory-heavy thing reserved for child prodigies who practice several hours daily.

I do agree that bringing technology or knowledge "to the people" comes at a price. Average drivers know less about cars than before, and average computer users know less about computers than 20 years ago. The written word and the map probably had adverse effects on people's memory as well.
Maybe people would have known more about good music without loops, or maybe many of your favourite artists would have never gotten into music at all.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic rambling. I know you're primarily criticising his request for ideas for a Kickstarter campaign that he doesn't even have any ideas for himself.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:43 am

I want my beats to be more beatz-ish.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:38 pm

My biggest problem is that I can't set Grooves to one clip or a bunch of clips from the Push. Not a big problem, but somewhat irritating.

Another problem, and a more serious one at that, is that Live's unholy requirements on CPU power means I have to build a hackintosh (or get a second hand 6-core or more Mac Pro) in order to record my MIDI drummer at 32 samples, if I want to use lot's of other tracks playing at the same time. If it's just him and the rest is audio it works, but I'd like to be able to jam around a bit without having to freeze when I want to move to another instrument.
Make some music!