Live 9.7 step backwards regarding slices...

Discuss Push with other users.
ham3id

Live 9.7 step backwards regarding slices...

Post by ham3id » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:56 am

Hi,

i like the new slice functions of 9.7 but why removing the manual slicing when using one of the slicing modes?
Before 9.7 it was possible to use slicing mode with 100% sensitivity and add your own slices to that but now it is not possible anymore so when I use a slice mode and there are 1-2 slices missing I have to use manual slicing and make all the slices myself...this is stupid!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Live 9.7 step backwards regarding slices...

Post by [jur] » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:20 am

Manual slicing from Push is still there but is now in menu with other slicing options (e.g Beats...)
Ableton Forum Moderator

ham3id

Post by ham3id » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:16 am

[jur] wrote:Manual slicing from Push is still there but is now in menu with other slicing options (e.g Beats...)
I know that but yesterday I had a sample choose the transient slicing and had about 13 slices but I wanted 2 more before 9.7 it was no problem to add more slices to the existing transient slices but now when I choose manual slicing all the slices from transient mode are gone and I have to set them myself.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:25 am

ham3id wrote:Hi,

i like the new slice functions of 9.7 but why removing the manual slicing when using one of the slicing modes?
Before 9.7 it was possible to use slicing mode with 100% sensitivity and add your own slices to that but now it is not possible anymore so when I use a slice mode and there are 1-2 slices missing I have to use manual slicing and make all the slices myself
I was able to get a manual slice in 9.7.1 by double clicking in Transient mode inside Live. The manually added slice marker is grey whereas the other markers are blue. How did you do this before on the Push?
Make some music!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:04 pm

You're right; strange that nobody has pointed this out during beta testing.
Ableton Forum Moderator

ham3id

Post by ham3id » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:36 pm

Stromkraft wrote:

Before 9.7 it was possible to use slicing mode with 100% sensitivity and add your own slices to that but now it is not possible anymore so when I use a slice mode and there are 1-2 slices missing I have to use manual slicing and make all the slices myself
I was able to get a manual slice in 9.7.1 by double clicking in Transient mode inside Live. The manually added slice marker is grey whereas the other markers are blue. How did you do this before on the Push?
Ok so its only possible via software not push before 9.7 there was no manual slicing and pad slicing was always available. Now when you switch to manual the pad slicing option appears but not in the other modes which is strange because you are restricted and are not able to add slices via push.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:28 pm

ham3id wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:

Ok so its only possible via software not push before 9.7 there was no manual slicing and pad slicing was always available. Now when you switch to manual the pad slicing option appears but not in the other modes which is strange because you are restricted and are not able to add slices via push.
You can make a bug report of this at Ableton@ Centercode for betas and for the current release at Technical support, at the bottom right select the link "Submit your technical support request" (you need to be logged in).
Make some music!

AAdel

Post by AAdel » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Yes, I think Ableton has some backward steps but it's going flawlessly with its exclusive features.
Adel Al Agha ???? ?? ???
Singer, Music Producer & Trainer
https://radionama.com

dolomick

Post by dolomick » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:36 am

Ableton seriously needs to get their slicing game together. Too many things are still too difficult compared to maschine or mpc. I have bought m4l devices to expand the slicing features, but after paying what I did for Push 2 that's ridiculous. I'm very close to selling and going for Mpc live.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:19 am

...do you own maschine?...if so i find it hard to believe that you think slicing in maschine is easier...what are your problems with live's slicing?...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

dolomick

Post by dolomick » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:38 pm

I own Maschine, and it is certainly not perfect either, but my main issue with push vs machine or MPC is that I still can't slice up a sample and then quickly have *each slice* chromatically played like you can with MPC's 16 levels or machine's keyboard mode. I've made the feature request, and this is essential for sampleheads who like to slice. There are workarounds, but that should have been in since they revamped simpler in 9.5 at least. Also, a snap to zero crossing should have been in since the beginning.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:28 pm

...ok, but you can tune/pitch each slice with push...isn't that what you're aiming for?...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

dolomick

Post by dolomick » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:48 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...ok, but you can tune/pitch each slice with push...isn't that what you're aiming for?...
Close but not exactly. In Maschine you press the keyboard looking icon and you can instantly enter a new mode where that slice is playable across the keyboard. It really helps for creating new melodies and reimagining samples in a way that tweaking a tiny pitch button in simpler doesn't match. I can slice to a drum rack and then drag that simpler out of the drum rack to a new track to recreate the functionality because then that one slice is playable across the keyboard, but that's a lot of extra steps.

Ableton got close with their 16 velocity mode, hopefully they update it to include a 16 pitch mode.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:12 pm

...thanks for explaining!...I also have maschine (mk2) but after feeling confused when working with it's slicing i was happy when ableton implemented it...from day 1 with my push 2 it fitted my workflow...but your suggestion sounds spot on!...

eclipxe

Post by eclipxe » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:05 am

dolomick wrote:
scheffkoch wrote:...ok, but you can tune/pitch each slice with push...isn't that what you're aiming for?...
Close but not exactly. In Maschine you press the keyboard looking icon and you can instantly enter a new mode where that slice is playable across the keyboard. It really helps for creating new melodies and reimagining samples in a way that tweaking a tiny pitch button in simpler doesn't match. I can slice to a drum rack and then drag that simpler out of the drum rack to a new track to recreate the functionality because then that one slice is playable across the keyboard, but that's a lot of extra steps.

Ableton got close with their 16 velocity mode, hopefully they update it to include a 16 pitch mode.
On Push you just hit the convert button twice. Done