Velocity of kicks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
frontmanbeats

Velocity of kicks

Post by frontmanbeats » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:05 pm

Helllo

At what velocity are you using on your kicks? I'm currently working on an EDM song and wondering if there are any benefit of setting the kick to he highest velocity ? (I dont intent to adjust the velocity on the kick during the song).

snakedogman

Re: Velocity of kicks

Post by snakedogman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:01 pm

I guess it doesn't really matter, unless whatever instrument you are using to play your kick is modifying other parameters than volume (like a filter, or aspects of the envelopes) with the note velocity.

CheekoStick

Post by CheekoStick » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:06 pm

I always use 115% on kicks unless I have 2 kicks that are close to one another. From there I will lower the velocity of the kick that is on the off-beat.

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:11 pm

I think it mostly depends on the timbre and volume. Sometimes a higher velocity hit is mapped to a more aggressively hit sample. In these cases, it depends on what sound you want. Maybe you want the sound of the soft hit, but louder. Then low velocity with a compressor to boost gain.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:12 pm

Do whatever sounds best.

Some cases people do not need any velocity modulation on their kicks. Therefore it would be best to then velocity Off so that your kick can be more consistent when it is triggered.

Other styles might use varying dynamics for their kicks to add a kind of interplay. In that case, they might be using multiple velocities (sometimes instead they'll just do interplay between two different kick samples and let only one sample play for the 'soft' kick while both play for the hard).

The answer for the original poster, set velocity control of volume to be off. Then set your volume and envelope according to taste.

frontmanbeats

Post by frontmanbeats » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:02 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Do whatever sounds best.

Some cases people do not need any velocity modulation on their kicks. Therefore it would be best to then velocity Off so that your kick can be more consistent when it is triggered.

Other styles might use varying dynamics for their kicks to add a kind of interplay. In that case, they might be using multiple velocities (sometimes instead they'll just do interplay between two different kick samples and let only one sample play for the 'soft' kick while both play for the hard).

The answer for the original poster, set velocity control of volume to be off. Then set your volume and envelope according to taste.
Can you explain what you mean by velocity set to off ?