Step sequencer synced with the played key

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
flios

Step sequencer synced with the played key

Post by flios » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:15 am

Hi Community !

I own Live 9 suite, and I'm trying to do something quite simple, but without success for now. I want to program a step sequencer which base note will depend on the note played on the keyboard, as it does for an arpegiator.

On this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxBrGPwslTE a guy (with Reason 7) does exactly what I'd like to do.

This seems quite common, but I didn't find a way to do it for now.

Thank you for your help !

Stromkraft

Re: Step sequencer synced with the played key

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:40 am

flios wrote:I want to program a step sequencer which base note will depend on the note played on the keyboard, as it does for an arpegiator.
Program how? Max For Live? Don't link video without relevant info for what you want to do. I don't have time to watch videos.
Make some music!

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:31 pm

The only thing I'm aware of that does something like this is Kirnu Cream.
There in the Seq tab, you can basically assign which notes of an input cord will be played at each step.
So note 1 in that step will always be the base note of whatever chord you played in. With 2-8 being the notes higher up from there.

What I don't know is how you would control this step-sequencer with a MIDI controller like a Launchpad or Push and not just the mouse.

Maybe Numerology does something similar though, and that one has very good Launchpad capabilities.

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:43 pm

flios wrote:Hi Community !

I own Live 9 suite, ... I want to program a step sequencer which base note will depend on the note played on the keyboard, as it does for an arpegiator.
Hi Flios,

Check out the Max for Live "Mono Sequencer" (Max for Live > Max MIDI Effect > Mono Sequencer.amxd).

On the far right hand side, there's a dropdown list with the title "MIDI" over it. The "transpose" option in that list will transpose the entire sequence up or down depending on what note you play.

To get the sequence to start over from the beginning when you play a note (like in the video), click the MIDI button at the bottom of the "Reset" section.

Hope this helps :)
--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:13 pm

you can also create a looping midi clip containing the desired note sequence you want to transpose, then midi-map the clip to a keyspan via your controller keyboard by holding down 3 keys (lowest, root, highest). this clip will now transpose with your keyboard, and you can adjust how it behaves to key changes by messing with the clip's Launch setings (Legato, Gate etc)