how to offset a clip?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
pat the dog

how to offset a clip?

Post by pat the dog » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:32 pm

this is a fairly simple question but i haven't found an answer in the manual:

when working in session view, say i import a wav sample that i want to begin on the second beat of a bar, but the sample itself has no silence at the beginning, how can i create a looping clip that starts the sample on the second beat of the bar rather than the first?

i realise i could load the sample into simpler and trigger it on the second beat, but there must be an easier way than this? for example in logic all i'd have to do is drag the audio part a beat to the right within the cycle.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:40 pm

adjust the start point of the clip to where the 2nd beat begins.

the start point looks like a triangular "flag", and it can be seen in the clip view's waveform.

and make sure LOOP is turned on.

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:57 pm

sorry, i didn't make my self very clear, the sample itself starts on the 1st beat (ie. there's no silence at the beginning of the wav), but i want it to begin a beat later.

another example: you have a one bar drum fill sample that you want to play every fourth bar. how could you create a looping clip that stays silent for the first three bars then plays the fill, then is silent for another 3 bars, plays the fill, etc. how can you offset the 1 bar sample or add three bars of silence to make it a 4 bar loop? (and please don't say use follow actions!)

another example: you have a vocal that begins half a beat earlier than the first beat of the first bar of the verse (eg. john lennon's "imagine all the people", "im.." is an offbeat early then "...magine" falls on the 1st beat).

i'm probably missing something really obvious but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to set this up. (dr t's kcs could handle this sort of arrangement quite well if anyone remembers that far back!)

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:08 pm

i see
well in that i'd use a combination of Volume envelope automation for the clip, and also copy the clip to make a 2nd clip for looping via follow actions

give the first clip (with the muted first beat) a follow action to play once and then go to the next clip.

and assign the next clip to simply loop.

make sense?

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:15 pm

Not sure if this is what you mean, but here goes...

Offset the triangular flag one beat, drag the clip into arrangement view, and consolidate it (Cmd-J).

A new clip will be made with the offset applied. I use this technique a LOT for making lots of video and lighting clips from one basic clip.

Hope that helps!
Last edited by hambone1 on Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dgkenney

Post by dgkenney » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:22 pm

pat the dog wrote: another example: you have a one bar drum fill sample that you want to play every fourth bar. how could you create a looping clip that stays silent for the first three bars then plays the fill, then is silent for another 3 bars, plays the fill, etc. how can you offset the 1 bar sample or add three bars of silence to make it a 4 bar loop? (and please don't say use follow actions!)
Make a 4 bar "UNLINKED" volume envelope that has 0 volume for 3 bars and 100% for the 4th bar.

Dan

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:34 pm

dgkenney wrote:
pat the dog wrote: another example: you have a one bar drum fill sample that you want to play every fourth bar. how could you create a looping clip that stays silent for the first three bars then plays the fill, then is silent for another 3 bars, plays the fill, etc. how can you offset the 1 bar sample or add three bars of silence to make it a 4 bar loop? (and please don't say use follow actions!)
Make a 4 bar "UNLINKED" volume envelope that has 0 volume for 3 bars and 100% for the 4th bar.

Dan
ah yea, forgot about that!
goes to show there are multiple ways to do the same thing in Live.