Add Correction to a song already mastered

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ANGSTICK

Add Correction to a song already mastered

Post by ANGSTICK » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have a song that has been mastered by a pro and I'm fine with what he did but I feel like there's not enough sub bass (I don't know if it's me or him) so I would like to re import the track in Ableton, add a Low Shelf EQ around 100/120 but it starts saturating so I have to play with the volume and the A.O.M Invisible Limiter and I'm not sure with what I'm doing.
I also would like to know if I have to touch anything before exporting the track (Normalization etc)

So if someone can help doing this little correction in the most properly way I would be thankful ! And if I have to use another software to do it no worries

Here is a private link to the song if needed : https://soundcloud.com/nestivus/we-bang ... ix/s-98RKu

Cheers :D

RobertX

Re: Add Correction to a song already mastered

Post by RobertX » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:02 pm

ANGSTICK wrote:I have a song that has been mastered by a pro and I'm fine with what he did but I feel like there's not enough sub bass
You've managed to contradict yourself before the end of the first sentence.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:27 am

Why not just ask the mastering engineer to add more sub bass for you?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:40 am

ANGSTICK wrote:
I have a song that has been mastered by a pro and I'm fine with what he did but I feel like there's not enough sub bass (I don't know if it's me or him)
You're clearly not trusting your master engineer. Second guessing him is so daft I can't even begin to explain to you how as I'm baffled. Talk to the master engineer. He will know if it's you or him and hopefully have some advice for the mix you sent.

What instructions did you give for the publishing? Did you get ne master or multiple? How did you even determine there was too little sub bass? You listened to the track in PAs and found it lacking in bass? Really?

If you're not satisfied, with this master engineer's work find someone else that could and does. I know this is hard work as I'm in the same position as the person I wanted for some tracks can't do it.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:09 am

It doesn't have to be a trust issue, sometimes people just want something different than what the M.E. interpreted. If the artist has listened to the master on a few different systems and still feels they want more sub-bass, no reason at all why they shouldn't ask the master engineer to make a small change like that. Happens all the time, most ME's will be more than happy to make a change or two for free. You just need to let them know.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

chrk

Post by chrk » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:29 am

ANGSTICK wrote:so I have to play with the volume and [whatever] and I'm not sure with what I'm doing.
ANGSTICK wrote:I also would like to know if I have to touch anything before exporting the track
are dead giveaways you shouldn't try it yourself.

ANGSTICK

Post by ANGSTICK » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:25 am

I sent him the full track and I determined sub bass was a bit missing when I compared my song to others in the same genre of music

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:16 pm

ANGSTICK wrote:I sent him the full track and I determined sub bass was a bit missing when I compared my song to others in the same genre of music
Yeah, like Tarekith said (he's a mastering engineer), you should be able to ask the engineer to make the track more subby. Don't do it yourself, otherwise you're gonna bollocks-up your already-mastered track.

You tried listening to the track on a variety of systems?

ANGSTICK

Post by ANGSTICK » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:49 pm

He made the changes, thanks a lot for your help everyone !