Pad controllers with similar pad size to push?

Discuss Push with other users.
Pinner

Pad controllers with similar pad size to push?

Post by Pinner » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:00 am

Hi folks,
I'm looking to get a second, more mobile controller to go with Push 2. I'd like to get a 16 pad controller that has a similar pad size and similar center-to-center pad distance as the push. Do you guys have any recommendations?
Thanks

yur2die4

Re: Pad controllers with similar pad size to push?

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:22 am

Have you looked at the launchpad pro?

Pinner

Post by Pinner » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Yeah I'm waiting to get my hands on a LPP to give it a try. Maschine Mikro pads are quite a bit bigger eh?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:08 pm

All Maschine pads are 4x4 pad layout and about double the length and width of Push pads, making them roughly four times larger (not quite that but yeah).

Maschine Jam has smaller buttons but those are buttons which do not take velocity into account.

As for the Launchpads, the Pro is the only one of those series which has velocity sensitive pads.

It's still a pretty sparse market.

There's also the Linnstrument, but that is very expensive and doesn't quite use pads the way the other controllers do.

Pinner

Post by Pinner » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:11 pm

I tried the launchpad pro and I was a bit thrown off my the different dimensions of the 8x8 grid when compared to push. I felt that learning to play a grid is tough enough without having to worry about the minor changes in muscle memory that would accompany switching between the 2 controllers. I was also disappointed with the sensitivity of the pads (even when on max). The LPP really doesn't have the instrument feel that push 2 does, but I suppose it is an unfair comparison to begin with. I guess I'll have to go the DIY route and make a push case and lug it around.

It would be great if Ableton released a smaller version of push with just the grid. I think the use of Push as an instrument would catch on much quicker if it was more mobile and players weren't only using it in the studio.