Buying a Push 2 & never used Ableton before ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
J Rukay

Buying a Push 2 & never used Ableton before ?

Post by J Rukay » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:01 pm

Hi,

Is it worth it to buy a push 2, knowing that I never used Ableton before (meaning I'll have to learn both the DAW and the hardware) ?

Shift Gorden

Re: Buying a Push 2 & never used Ableton before ?

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:48 pm

Well, some people love it, some people don't - but it might work out really well for you if you've never used Ableton before as you'll learn to use the hardware and software from scratch.

I think some of the problem with Push is you get used to using Ableton one way, and then you have to change your workflow to accommodate Push...

I think you'll be alright!

login

Post by login » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:28 am

You can learn both at the same time, go for it Push is a lot of fun.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:15 am

Push step sequencer is probably one of the best I've used. I like how easy it makes it for you to combine note resolutions.

It also has a few features that are harder/more tedious to do with Ableton alone.

That said it is lacking in some areas but overall I like its sequencer better than Maschine.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:50 am

I come from using Cubase in several forms for 20 years. Got Live Lite with my new audio interface a while ago, liked it and bought Push 2 a week or so ago. I have to learn too, but like it very much!!! I would say: do it!!!!

Miyaru.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

J Rukay

Post by J Rukay » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:09 am

Ok thanks you for all the quick answers !
I'm really impressed because a lot of people told me to go for the push 2 even before, knowing that I never used Ableton and that I'm familiar with Fl Studio and the MPCs (because I was hesitating between the MPC Touch and Push 2). This hardware and it's workflow must be really fantastic !
Also I'm reassured that other Ableton newbies bought the Push 2 and enjoyed it.

braduro

Post by braduro » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Honestly, I think you'd be ahead of the game if you dived in with both.
You'd see Live through the lens of how they'd imagine you work on the push, and you'd get good at it quick.
This Youtube channel is attempting to walk through the Live User Manual front to back, and she just launched the first chapter. Worth joining in (On second thought, this link is probably too rudimentary, but I'll leave up the link. You might just jump straight in with the ableton videos.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C1jrgBFKBI

J Rukay

Post by J Rukay » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Thanks for the input and the video braduro,
I talked to a couple of nice people like you and they all recommended me the Push even knowing my situation. I'm still going to think about it a bit but I'll probably grab a Push.